TTT looking to Transfer Up Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pandacot

Bronze

Re: TTT looking to Transfer Up

Post by pandacot » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:36 am

dresden doll wrote: Anecdotally, a reliable Michigan poster posted sometime back that his school accepted an Ave Maria transfer. I imagine that that doesn't happen too often, but it would seem to indicate that Michigan at least is worth a shot.
This is true. A prof at Toledo used to teach at Ave Maria, and wrote the recommendation for the Ave->UMich transfer, if it's the same transfer student. Heard the transfer graduated #2 in his class at UMich.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:55 pm

In all honesty, you might as well just blanket all or most of the t14 with applications (assuming your grades will stay the same or improve). The thing with relying on past trends based on online posters (either here, on yahoo apps, or LSD) is that you only have points of reference if the person who transferred actually posted anything about where he transferred from and to. The issue with that is the outliers may never post anything. For example, there was a guy from my t3 who transferred to Harvard (2 years ago). I heard that there was someone who transferred from a t3 to stanford that year as well. CLS takes a boatload of transfers, so I wouldn't be surprised if they took a handful or t3 transfers. I probably would have applied to HYSC if I had known that transferring from a t3 to any of those schools was even possible. Point being, you'll never know where you might have gotten in if you don't apply. Obviously, you can't plan on getting into these schools, but you might as well apply at the cost of $80 an app.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone. Class rankings come out in February and from the talk of the town, it looks like Im sitting at top 2%. Im going to shoot an app at GULC EA and work on all the others immediately after finals. Since Im planning on blanketing the T14, Ill update later on to let everyone know how everything turns out.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Just thought Id update. I got my class rank back and Im 2/180+. What are my chances for GULC EA based on these numbers? Am I most likley going to be deferred because Im TTT? Thoughts are appreciated.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 pm

maf70 wrote:Just thought Id update. I got my class rank back and Im 2/180+. What are my chances for GULC EA based on these numbers? Am I most likley going to be deferred because Im TTT? Thoughts are appreciated.
Excellent job! You're going to get into GULC unless there's some sort of glaring red flag in your app, and probably even then. Whether you get in EA seems to be a crapshoot, based on last year's cycle. If you can sustain your class rank or move up one, you're in YHS territory, even from a TTT. I'd blanket the T14, see where you get in and profit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:11 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
maf70 wrote:Just thought Id update. I got my class rank back and Im 2/180+. What are my chances for GULC EA based on these numbers? Am I most likley going to be deferred because Im TTT? Thoughts are appreciated.
Excellent job! You're going to get into GULC unless there's some sort of glaring red flag in your app, and probably even then. Whether you get in EA seems to be a crapshoot, based on last year's cycle. If you can sustain your class rank or move up one, you're in YHS territory, even from a TTT. I'd blanket the T14, see where you get in and profit.
I didnt think Id even be in the running for MVP. I would be ecstatic if I could break the T10.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:32 pm

maf70 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
I didnt think Id even be in the running for MVP. I would be ecstatic if I could break the T10.
Bust your ass this semester and land that 1/180+ spot and HLS is possible. Or at least very much worth the application fee. I would guess you'll be picking from at least MVP range, if not higher.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:48 pm

I dont think I can hit number one unless the top person completely fucks up, but Ill do my best. Thanks for the info.

mrosmith

Bronze

Post by mrosmith » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:55 am

You got a 3.8 and are ranked number 2/180+? If you do go to Toledo, I wonder what that would make my 3.65. With only 19 ppl above 3.50 in our class, I know of one other person who got a 3.73. To the rest of you. If I got A's in all my classes and a B- in torts, how adverse does that affect my chances of transferring?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:40 am

dont assume things.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Bust your ass this semester and land that 1/180+ spot and HLS is possible. Or at least very much worth the application fee. I would guess you'll be picking from at least MVP range, if not higher.
This. Being #1 or #2 in your class, if you can maintain it, should open doors for you. Be prepared to blanket as many schools as you can afford, but if you can hit up several T14 schools and give them each reasons you'd want to transfer there, you have good odds of getting into a school you'd be happy attending.

You might want to consider applying to Chicago ED, if you think you'd be happy going there. HYS is possible but not certain, and you'd have things wrapped up quickly if you got in.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Last edited by maf70 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawfuture10

Bronze

Post by lawfuture10 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:05 pm

maf70 wrote:If I just happened to be a direct descendant (same last name as well) of the founder of a T-14 university, should I include it in my personal statement? Also, what kind of boost, if any, do you think it would give me with my numbers? Think non-HYS.
Ben Franklin?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”