NYC T2 to T1

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
catecureuil

NYC T2 to T1

Postby catecureuil » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi,

I have a 4.00 after my first semester at a T2 school in the NYC area. I'm considering trying to transfer to a T1 school, either in NYC (NYU, Columbia) or elsewhere (Harvard, Yale, etc.). Any sense of what kind of chances I would have? I want to do public interest-y or policy stuff.

Thanks.

patrickd139

Re: NYC T2 to T1

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:55 pm

I'd say you're pretty much a lock for CCN down if you come close to replicating your success this semester. I'd apply to HLS just in case, but wouldn't get my hopes up. You might also consider throwing out an app to Chicago ED, but that's also probably a long shot. (Transfer lore has it that only those competitive for YHS are competitive for Chicago ED.)

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:46 am

patrickd139 wrote:I'd say you're pretty much a lock for CCN down if you come close to replicating your success this semester. I'd apply to HLS just in case, but wouldn't get my hopes up. You might also consider throwing out an app to Chicago ED, but that's also probably a long shot. (Transfer lore has it that only those competitive for YHS are competitive for Chicago ED.)

I wish. lol. But patrick is credited.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:42 pm

catecureuil wrote:Hi,

I have a 4.00 after my first semester at a T2 school in the NYC area. I'm considering trying to transfer to a T1 school, either in NYC (NYU, Columbia) or elsewhere (Harvard, Yale, etc.). Any sense of what kind of chances I would have? I want to do public interest-y or policy stuff.

Thanks.

A 4.00 first-semester GPA anywhere is insane; congratulations on that. Assuming you have genuine public interest stuff on your resume that you can point to and sell yourself (and given that transfer apps don't go out 'till summer, this can include whatever you end up doing this summer), you probably have a great pitch to the upper T14.

HLS takes at least a couple top students from T2 schools each year from what I can tell. Last year they took at least one Brooklyn Law student. I wouldn't call it likely, but it's certainly worth the app fee if you'd want to attend, and with a GPA that high you could be one of the chosen few this summer. You could also sell yourself to HLS as being great for your public service goals with its public service resources (OPIA, etc.) and the LIPP fund.

Really it's just a matter of which schools you'd be happy attending in the T14. Apply to any and all of them. I wouldn't ED to Chicago just because I think you could end up elsewhere that you might be happier (if not HLS, then NYU or Columbia which would keep you in New York). Good luck.

Return to “Transfers”