What Happens to you GPA when you transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
luckyduck

Bronze

What Happens to you GPA when you transfer?

Post by luckyduck » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:11 pm

I go to a school with a 2.7 mean curve (ranked right around 100). Based on that curve I'll be between top 10 and top 5% and would like to transfer. I'm considering schools that have higher curves. So, assuming I get in to a higher ranked school, will my lower curve mean hurt my chances at OCI in the new school? I'll be competing with students who ranked lower their 1L but have higher GPAs. Anyone knows how that works?

Thanks!

megaTTTron

Silver

Re: What Happens to you GPA when you transfer?

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:36 pm

luckyduck wrote:I go to a school with a 2.7 mean curve (ranked right around 100). Based on that curve I'll be between top 10 and top 5% and would like to transfer. I'm considering schools that have higher curves. So, assuming I get in to a higher ranked school, will my lower curve mean hurt my chances at OCI in the new school? I'll be competing with students who ranked lower their 1L but have higher GPAs. Anyone knows how that works?

Thanks!
Your GPA goes: poof (insofar as you start over). You will use your grades, and your rank for OCI purposes.

lol you won't be ranked with your 1L GPA on your 2L school's curve. hahah. i just laughed out loud writing that.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:37 am

Do we not have a transfer FAQ somewhere to spell this stuff out?

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 am

patrickd139 wrote:Do we not have a transfer FAQ somewhere to spell this stuff out?
Why don't you get started on that lol. We really need one.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:55 am

megaTTTron wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Do we not have a transfer FAQ somewhere to spell this stuff out?
Nah, too busy toiling away at my TT trying to snag jobs that don't exist! :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:45 am

patrickd139 wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
Do you regret not transferring? Curious because it might relate to my situation.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:25 pm

keg411 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
Do you regret not transferring? Curious because it might relate to my situation.
That will depend entirely on what happens with last semester's tax-laden grades. I want to do tax (and have since before the transfer process), so if those grades are good, my class/school rank plus a good tax GPA will put me in an excellent position to get either an NYU or GULC LLM in tax. At that point, I will be ecstatic because I avoided north of $90k in student loans.

I don't even want to think about not doing well... :|

luckyduck

Bronze

Post by luckyduck » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:48 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
luckyduck wrote:I go to a school with a 2.7 mean curve (ranked right around 100). Based on that curve I'll be between top 10 and top 5% and would like to transfer. I'm considering schools that have higher curves. So, assuming I get in to a higher ranked school, will my lower curve mean hurt my chances at OCI in the new school? I'll be competing with students who ranked lower their 1L but have higher GPAs. Anyone knows how that works?

Thanks!
Your GPA goes: poof (insofar as you start over). You will use your grades, and your rank for OCI purposes.

lol you won't be ranked with your 1L GPA on your 2L school's curve. hahah. i just laughed out loud writing that.
Guess I didn't word my question right because I knew that my rank and GPA wouldn't change. I'll re-read the FAQs, maybe I missed the answer to the question I meant to ask.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
keg411 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
That will depend entirely on what happens with last semester's tax-laden grades. I want to do tax (and have since before the transfer process), so if those grades are good, my class/school rank plus a good tax GPA will put me in an excellent position to get either an NYU or GULC LLM in tax. At that point, I will be ecstatic because I avoided north of $90k in student loans.

Good luck. I hope you kill it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:47 pm

patrickd139 wrote:That will depend entirely on what happens with last semester's tax-laden grades. I want to do tax (and have since before the transfer process), so if those grades are good, my class/school rank plus a good tax GPA will put me in an excellent position to get either an NYU or GULC LLM in tax. At that point, I will be ecstatic because I avoided north of $90k in student loans.

Would you have decided differently if you didn't know you wanted to do tax?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:14 pm

keg411 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:That will depend entirely on what happens with last semester's tax-laden grades. I want to do tax (and have since before the transfer process), so if those grades are good, my class/school rank plus a good tax GPA will put me in an excellent position to get either an NYU or GULC LLM in tax. At that point, I will be ecstatic because I avoided north of $90k in student loans.

Would you have decided differently if you didn't know you wanted to do tax?
Probably. Absent a desire to do tax work, it likely would have been worth the increase in cost to net the increase in prestige and access to jobs that T14 degrees provide. For tax work (especially tax controversy and high level firm stuff), it matters less where you get your JD than a) having a CPA or b) graduating and doing well at a top 3 LLM program. Since I don't have my CPA, it's an all eggs in one basket thing.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:18 pm

megaTTTron wrote: Good luck. I hope you kill it.
Missed this somehow. Thanks TTTron. How was your second first semester?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks for the answer. Definitely helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:54 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Dude, it was great. So happy I transferred (but far less fun that 1L, which is so odd). Fun isn't dead here, it's just missing.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:24 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
Dude, it was great. So happy I transferred (but far less fun that 1L, which is so odd). Fun isn't dead here, it's just missing.
Hey, get enough chill people together and you can change the atmosphere anywhere. Glad to hear it's not crushing the soul or anything. GL this spring!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”