Chances of transfer from McGeorge to USF

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vegankid

Chances of transfer from McGeorge to USF

Postby vegankid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:22 am

Hi everyone. I was wondering what my chances are to transfer from McGeorge to USF. (I'm from the bay area, went off elsewhere to college, and only now do I hope to return to and work in the bay area after graduation. I thought I would like McGeorge and didn't apply to USF.) --> I forgot to add that I currently have a $10k/year scholarship from McGeorge with no stipulations, but costs would be around the same if I attend USF because I would be able to live at home and save on rent and other expenses.

My grades are not yet set in stone, as they were only midterm grades. But I didn't do too hot on my midterms and my dean estimated my ranking to be in the middle/50% of the class.

What ranking would I need to achieve to transfer from McG to USF? They are both ranked equally at #98.

Your comments/advice/ any information on lateral transfers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

vegankid

Re: Chances of transfer from McGeorge to USF

Postby vegankid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:53 pm

bump :) anyone have any personal experience/info on lateral transfer?

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:20 am

Similarly ranked schools so probably top 1/3rd of the class.

Read the link for information on transferring: http://www.top-law-schools.com/advice-f ... rring.html

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Arrow's transfer advice page is extremely credited. It's a good read for anyone considering transferring up, down or laterally. I don't agree with the above poster that you need to be in the top 1/3 though. I know personally of at least one student who transferred from my T2 to a T1 with median grades because he had a legitimate reason to do so. Regardless, you should focus on your grades and make them as high as you possibly can, then put some (more than usual) serious effort into the non-numbers part of your application, highlighting the soft factor reasons you want to transfer.

vegankid

Postby vegankid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:08 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Arrow's transfer advice page is extremely credited. It's a good read for anyone considering transferring up, down or laterally. I don't agree with the above poster that you need to be in the top 1/3 though. I know personally of at least one student who transferred from my T2 to a T1 with median grades because he had a legitimate reason to do so. Regardless, you should focus on your grades and make them as high as you possibly can, then put some (more than usual) serious effort into the non-numbers part of your application, highlighting the soft factor reasons you want to transfer.

Thank you so much for your advice! My hopes were almost crushed.

Return to “Transfers”