Transferring from Canada to US

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mikeman
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Transferring from Canada to US

Postby mikeman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:01 am

Has anyone here ever heard of a Canadian law student transferring to an American school? Is this in any way possible? I can't find information on this anywhere.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Transferring from Canada to US

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:25 am

Do you already have an undergraduate degree?

mikeman
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Transferring from Canada to US

Postby mikeman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Yes

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Transferring from Canada to US

Postby random5483 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:25 am

You can join a US school as a 1L. I don't think you can transfer unless your school is ABA accredited. However, you can do an LLM or SJD/JSD here with a JD/LLB equivalent from some other countries. Not an expert on the topic, so I could be wrong.

mikeman
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Transferring from Canada to US

Postby mikeman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:06 pm

random5483 wrote:You can join a US school as a 1L. I don't think you can transfer unless your school is ABA accredited. However, you can do an LLM or SJD/JSD here with a JD/LLB equivalent from some other countries. Not an expert on the topic, so I could be wrong.


So you mean go back a year? But do they do acceptances based on law school grades or LSAT undergrad stuff? And what good is an LLM? Don't you need a JD for most states?

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Transferring from Canada to US

Postby General Tso » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:07 pm

why do you want to?

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Transferring from Canada to US

Postby random5483 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:15 am

mikeman wrote:
random5483 wrote:You can join a US school as a 1L. I don't think you can transfer unless your school is ABA accredited. However, you can do an LLM or SJD/JSD here with a JD/LLB equivalent from some other countries. Not an expert on the topic, so I could be wrong.


So you mean go back a year? But do they do acceptances based on law school grades or LSAT undergrad stuff? And what good is an LLM? Don't you need a JD for most states?



Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. I do know that we have at least 2 professors in my school who have a JD and LLM from Europe and an SJD from US schools.

mikeman
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Transferring from Canada to US

Postby mikeman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:22 am

General Tso wrote:why do you want to?


I want to live there.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Transferring from Canada to US

Postby General Tso » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:08 pm

mikeman wrote:
General Tso wrote:why do you want to?


I want to live there.


worse job market, higher tuition and COL, toxic political environment, uglier cities. you'll be pining for Canada in a few years

mikeman
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm

Re: Transferring from Canada to US

Postby mikeman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 am

General Tso wrote:
mikeman wrote:
General Tso wrote:why do you want to?


I want to live there.


worse job market, higher tuition and COL, toxic political environment, uglier cities. you'll be pining for Canada in a few years


Possible about the job market, but it also has a way higher earnings ceiling. I have to disagree with you on the cities thing. You really think San Diego/San Francisco/New York etc. is uglier than Toronto/Winnipeg/Edmonton etc.? And call me crazy, but I love American politics. Anyways, as a dual-citizen, I'm pretty familiar with both countries, so I doubt I'd regret it much.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.