Chances for ED at Chicago/EA GULC

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kswiss

Chances for ED at Chicago/EA GULC

Postby kswiss » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 am

I'm at a school in the middle of T2. After first semester I'm top 2%.

Do you think I have any shot whatsoever at Chicago ED? I know I have a pretty good shot the T10 if I can keep my rank or move into top 1%, but how is the ranking of my school going to effect my chances at ED? I'll have pretty strong refs and such.

I'm actually happy where I'm at, I just want an outside shot at academia, so if I can transfer into Chicago I would probably do it.

Thoughts?

random5483

Re: Chances for ED at Chicago/EA GULC

Postby random5483 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:43 am

ED Chicago = Unlikely. From what I hear people who get in are those who have a good shot at HLS if they maintain grades. From a middling T2, HLS is extremely unlikely. You might be a long shot for regular admissions to Chicago.

EA GULC = Maybe. You would have a strong shot at GULC with a top 2% rank from a middling T2 for regular decisions. But, EA is a maybe. The standard is likely higher, but I am not sure what it is.

Disclaimer: Fellow 1L with limited transfer knowledge. I only know what I have read here over the last week or so after getting my 1L grades.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:23 am

Chicago ED is very unlikely, but I would still apply. GULC EA is a coin-flip, last year it seemed like EA went to mostly t1 or high t2 schools. It is also worth applying, if only for the potentially relaxing feeling going into finals that you already have an acceptance.

The old threads from last year have a lot of peoples numbers and results.

FWIW I was the only person I've heard of that got rejected (not deferred) at Chicago ED and got deferred GULC EA, but didn't wait around for RD. At the time I was #1 at a TTT.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:44 pm

random5483 wrote:ED Chicago = Unlikely. From what I hear people who get in are those who have a good shot at HLS if they maintain grades. From a middling T2, HLS is extremely unlikely. You might be a long shot for regular admissions to Chicago.

EA GULC = Maybe. You would have a strong shot at GULC with a top 2% rank from a middling T2 for regular decisions. But, EA is a maybe. The standard is likely higher, but I am not sure what it is.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment of OP's situation. Definitely apply to both EA programs and then the entire T14 when you get deferred at Chicago. You're likely to land at least one if you hold serve second semester. If you even think you might want academia, start trying to get published as soon as practical.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:27 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
random5483 wrote:ED Chicago = Unlikely. From what I hear people who get in are those who have a good shot at HLS if they maintain grades. From a middling T2, HLS is extremely unlikely. You might be a long shot for regular admissions to Chicago.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment of OP's situation. Definitely apply to both EA programs and then the entire T14 when you get deferred at Chicago. You're likely to land at least one if you hold serve second semester. If you even think you might want academia, start trying to get published as soon as practical.

right on. good advice.

Return to “Transfers”