.

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

.

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 pm

.
Last edited by iShotFirst on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

frost
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby frost » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:58 pm

I feel like this question is asked every year.

Don't do it. Like you said yourself, the law school app asks if you attended another school. They're not going to think that you were doing fabulously but decided to drop out and reapply. Even if a school accepts you, it'll probably be a much worse school than you're in now which will give you even less job opportunities. And frankly, the fact that you're not doing well in the school you are in now suggests that you may not do well in another school.

Just work hard and boost those grades for second semester. If you're serious about not continuing on with law school, then you should consider dropping out and pursuing another path rather than dropping out and starting again elsewhere - that's just more loans and potentially a waste of your own time.


User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby UnTouChablE » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:05 pm

iShotFirst wrote:My grades have been poor (havent received them all yet though) and my wife is having a very hard time settling in the area and getting a job. And so, I've thought a bit about dropping out.

My question is, if you drop out of law school, is it possible to apply to another one and get in there?

Are schools not going to take me after they see my answer to "Have you attended any other law school?"

What if I dropped out right now, and applied to other schools in order to start in August of THIS year? Is this just not acceptable? Would an addendum with my reasons (focus on family reasons) help?

If a school asked for my law school transcript from my current school, they would only see one (below median) grade as the rest of the classes are year-long.

I might get some flak for this but just trying to figure out all my options and I couldn't find a comparable thread.


I don't know what ppl are talking about but it seems to me that if you have a legitimate reason for dropping out (make one up) you can pull this off.

I think it could work if executed properly and you are willing to start over. Do not graduate from a school you don't like because of what ppl think, do wat you can to change that.

If you explain to adcomms the reason you had to drop out and its legitimate, no one can use that against you.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:09 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:it seems to me that if you have a legitimate reason for dropping out (make one up)

I look forward to your future disbarment proceedings. They should be entertaining.

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby UnTouChablE » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:it seems to me that if you have a legitimate reason for dropping out (make one up)

I look forward to your future disbarment proceedings. They should be entertaining.


lol, schools are in it for the money, its up to you to find your way in. The difference between 166 and 170 is a couple of questions and yet both students face drastically different prospects in terms of law schools, that is not fair either.

Am just trying to help people get theirs and stop playing strictly by the rules law schools set-up to help themselves, not students (get the most money and the best students). Bend them to your advantage is my opinion; stretch, bend or contort, as long as you don't break any rules I think its fair game.

jdhonest
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby jdhonest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:28 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:it seems to me that if you have a legitimate reason for dropping out (make one up)

I look forward to your future disbarment proceedings. They should be entertaining.


lol, schools are in it for the money, its up to you to find your way in. The difference between 166 and 170 is a couple of questions and yet both students face drastically different prospects in terms of law schools, that is not fair either.

Am just trying to help people get theirs and stop playing strictly by the rules law schools set-up to help themselves, not students (get the most money and the best students). Bend them to your advantage is my opinion; stretch, bend or contort, as long as you don't break any rules I think its fair game.


Clearly you don't apply the same philosophy to the English rules of grammar.

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby UnTouChablE » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:33 pm

jdhonest wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
UnTouChablE wrote:it seems to me that if you have a legitimate reason for dropping out (make one up)

I look forward to your future disbarment proceedings. They should be entertaining.


lol, schools are in it for the money, its up to you to find your way in. The difference between 166 and 170 is a couple of questions and yet both students face drastically different prospects in terms of law schools, that is not fair either.

Am just trying to help people get theirs and stop playing strictly by the rules law schools set-up to help themselves, not students (get the most money and the best students). Bend them to your advantage is my opinion; stretch, bend or contort, as long as you don't break any rules I think its fair game.


Clearly you don't apply the same philosophy to the English rules of grammar.


Its an internet forum, look around, "rules of grammar" are routinely broken around these parts. Sorry I don't have the time scrutinize my every post because unlike you, I dont think ppl will think am stupid cause I write funny. dumbass

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfYkhQblYjY

Excellent use of the 70s.

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby JordynAsh » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:41 pm

UnTouChablE wrote:it seems to me that if you have a legitimate reason for dropping out (make one up)


UnTouChablE wrote:lol, schools are in it for the money, its up to you to find your way in. The difference between 166 and 170 is a couple of questions and yet both students face drastically different prospects in terms of law schools, that is not fair either.


UnTouChablE wrote:Am just trying to help people get theirs and stop playing strictly by the rules law schools set-up to help themselves, not students (get the most money and the best students). Bend them to your advantage is my opinion; stretch, bend or contort, as long as you don't break any rules I think its fair game.


UnTouChablE wrote:Its an internet forum, look around, "rules of grammar" are routinely broken around these parts. Sorry I don't have the time scrutinize my every post because unlike you, I dont think ppl will think am stupid cause I write funny. dumbass


Well I think it's safe to say I've found my new least favorite poster.

OP, listen to the advice from those other than this guy.

LogosEther
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby LogosEther » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Regarding the OP:

Wait, so you have just one grade in, and you're basing this on one grade?

If you think you'll do better at another school, then why wouldn't you do better in your following semesters at your current school? If you do well for 5/6 of your semesters at your current school, going through the cost and hassle of pushing your life back another year, moving your family, etc. is not worth doing well in 6/6 of your semesters, in my opinion. And if you don't think you'll do well either way, well then why even reapply to a different law school?

I think it's reasonable to assume that if you're going to do well at the new school, you'll do well your following semesters at your original school, and I think it's also reasonable to assume that if you think you'll bomb next semester, you'll probably bomb at your new school.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks for the advice from everyone. My main reason is my family's difficulty in settling in the area I am in (my wife's family/parents are immigrants and I am in small Southern city). The grades are an additional concern. I'm sure its easy to imagine how if your family is having difficulty it is tougher to get the best grades (although no excuses, I could have worked harder and will if I end up staying). Also I don't have loans, just paid for first sem so far which is pretty low, and I could easily get work with my old company who just started a massive project (ending in May or June).

So there are a few concerns all coming together, although admittedly the grades brought all this into stark relief.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Drop out, then reapply to another school THIS year?

Postby random5483 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:28 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Thanks for the advice from everyone. My main reason is my family's difficulty in settling in the area I am in (my wife's family/parents are immigrants and I am in small Southern city). The grades are an additional concern. I'm sure its easy to imagine how if your family is having difficulty it is tougher to get the best grades (although no excuses, I could have worked harder and will if I end up staying). Also I don't have loans, just paid for first sem so far which is pretty low, and I could easily get work with my old company who just started a massive project (ending in May or June).

So there are a few concerns all coming together, although admittedly the grades brought all this into stark relief.




Do not drop out of law school and reapply. LSAT/UGPA are factors of predicting law school performance. First semester grades are a better gauge of determining law school performance. Every law school you apply to will heavily base their decision on your first semester law school grade (Even though you are not applying as a transfer).


Also, your wife moving for job reasons can be a great reason to explain a transfer. Consider transferring schools next semester. The transfer process can be competitive, but if you are willing to go to a lesser school you might be able to pull that off with median or even sub median grades.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.