Negotiating for scholarship before transferring?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yanks008
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:56 pm

Negotiating for scholarship before transferring?

Postby yanks008 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not even sure if this is an option or is commonly done, but I was wondering if it is common to request money from an old school before transferring to a new one. I'm in a lower t-14 paying full tuition and am considering transferring to a higher ranked school (my semester 1 grades are good enough to put me in the running for such a move), but was first wondering if I should approach my current school and ask if they could provide me with some money instead of switching schools. Does this happen? Do schools ever give in? Any help would be great.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Negotiating for scholarship before transferring?

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Some schools will play ball, others won't. Maybe someone who escaped from Ithaca last year could shed some light.

LogosEther
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am

Re: Negotiating for scholarship before transferring?

Postby LogosEther » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:16 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I know someone who was offered a full ride to stay, but that was at a tier 4 school.

If I were you, I would arrange an appointment with the dean some time this semester with the message being "I'm thinking about transferring and I thought that this was something that you deserve to know, since I really like the school you run here" instead of "so, how much are you gonna give me to keep me around?" But that's just me. I suppose you could slick the hair back and straight-up negotiate...

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Negotiating for scholarship before transferring?

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:43 pm

LogosEther wrote:I was wondering the same thing. I know someone who was offered a full ride to stay, but that was at a tier 4 school.

If I were you, I would arrange an appointment with the dean some time this semester with the message being "I'm thinking about transferring and I thought that this was something that you deserve to know, since I really like the school you run here" instead of "so, how much are you gonna give me to keep me around?" But that's just me. I suppose you could slick the hair back and straight-up negotiate...

Whatever you do, do not initiate any kind of scholarship negotiations before you have a transfer acceptance in hand. Harsh realities are harsh, and you're not that special with only one semester's grades at this point, and nowhere to go.

NYVA311
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Negotiating for scholarship before transferring?

Postby NYVA311 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:39 pm

I wanted to bring this thread back to life because I may be in a position do to this and wanted to know what the general consensus on it was. Obviously you should wait until you have an acceptance in hand to discuss it, but is there a single best way to approach the matter/who to approach, etc.?

Thanks!

non sequitur
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:46 am

Re: Negotiating for scholarship before transferring?

Postby non sequitur » Thu May 19, 2011 6:04 pm

When I requested that my law school send my transcript and a letter of good standing to my potentially new law school, one of the deans requested a meeting with me. He asked about my motives for wanting to transfer, and we discussed my GPA/rank and my current scholarship. I just said I was concerned about jobs and debt, and that transferring up might be a good option even though I "love" my old law school and have had a great time there.

No increased scholly offer yet, but here's to hoping. I'll likely need an acceptance in hand before any offers are made.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.