Transfer from GW to Georgetown--worth it? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Eco

Bronze

Transfer from GW to Georgetown--worth it?

Post by Eco » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Not saying that this is what I'm doing. Just curious--is it worth it? Will being a 2L at Georgetown be that much better than at GW?

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Re: Transfer from GW to Georgetown--worth it?

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:04 pm

are you receiving a scholarship? are you a resident? grades? we need some info to really give a credible answer

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:05 pm

I don't think giving up your class rank at GW is worth it for GULC.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:05 pm

No idea really. 1L grades not out yet. I am just curious as to whether this is an option worth pursuing. I guess you can answer giving best case (scholarship etc...) and worst case scenarios.

peter844

New

Post by peter844 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:06 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:are you receiving a scholarship? are you a resident? grades? we need some info to really give a credible answer

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:35 pm

As someone who transferred from GW (to T6), I would advise you that a transfer to Georgetown isn't really worth it in most instances.

For example, if you place as a George Washington Scholar, and land LR, then in no way would a transfer to Georgetown be reasonable, unless they're for some reason offering you money (which they wouldn't do).

However, perhaps if you place as a Thurgood Marshall Scholar, don't make LR, and feel as though there are more appropriate classes/clinics for you at Georgetown, then it may be a legitimate act.

Even then though, I would still hesitate to say that you should, given the overall sacrifices (i.e. professor relationships, OCI placement, etc.) may outweigh the good in transferring to a school in the exact same city with only a slightly higher rank. The same firms interview GW and Georgetown during OCI, so unless you can come up with a credible-sounding reason as to why you decided to transfer (i.e. not just for prestige), you may come off as suspect.

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Good point. Anyways I honestly am not looking to transfer anywhere except NYU and Columbia, if possible, but I'll look at all factors. Wouldn't transfer if I made it on GW Law Review, etc...

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:43 pm

I think if you have any kind of considerable scholarship (i.e. at least 25%) or if you are high enough in the class to be on LR it probably isn't worth it. Otherwise I think it may well be worth it, especially if you had a strong preference for GULC in the first place. The only exception to it not being worth it under the initial circumstances stated above I think would be if you have some extremely strong personal reasons for wanting to go there (i.e. legacy etc), in which case I think it could be worth overlooking the fact that from a financial perspective such circumstances would otherwise make it not worth it.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Eco wrote:Good point. Anyways I honestly am not looking to transfer anywhere except NYU and Columbia, if possible, but I'll look at all factors. Wouldn't transfer if I made it on GW Law Review, etc...
If you're still interested in doing so, once you get your grades/hear about LR, feel free to PM me and I'll try to give you insight into the process and how 2L is faring.

zuluwarriors

New

Post by zuluwarriors » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:55 pm

OP - GW 2L here; if you're still considering transferring, PM me (went through same thing last year).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”