Do foreign law schools have courses required in US schools?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chamele0n

Do foreign law schools have courses required in US schools?

Postby chamele0n » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:05 pm

I am in a T3 law school. I have studied French for a long time and want to spend my 3L year in France so I can perfect my French. My T3 school has some required courses like Evidence, Wills and Trusts, and Income Tax, among others. I hope to finish most of the required courses in 2L. If I do go abroad to France or Belgium, do you think they would have these courses so I can take my last 30 credits there? I haven't settled on which school to go to yet. Or would the only way to go there be to have to finish all the difficult required courses in 2L year? If I went abroad it would save me tons of money over my tuition here and I would be able to perfect my spoken French, something I have wanted to do for a long time.

Also, one law student told me that some partners may look down on students taking a semester or year in a foreign law school. He said that they think that you were just going there to have fun instead of studying here in the US. I don't agree with him as I feel knowledge of a foreign language is an important skill that makes you stand out. Would you say it's more important to study the last year here in the US or would it be more beneficial to perfect French in a foreign law school?

Grizz

Re: Do foreign law schools have courses required in US schools?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 pm

chamele0n wrote:Also, one law student told me that some partners may look down on students taking a semester or year in a foreign law school. He said that they think that you were just going there to have fun instead of studying here in the US. I don't agree with him as I feel knowledge of a foreign language is an important skill that makes you stand out. Would you say it's more important to study the last year here in the US or would it be more beneficial to perfect French in a foreign law school?

Stay in 'Mercuh; French people speak English. French is not "in demand."

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:02 pm

Studying abroad is usually a waste of time - don't believe the school's marketing materials. Also, if you want to learn a language, Mandarin and Spanish are more attractive to employers (I am nearly fluent in French and firms don't care).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Only if they offer English language courses.

P.S. For French language skills, consider studying at McGill University law school.

Return to “Transfers”