NYC T2 transfer into T1

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Vronsky

NYC T2 transfer into T1

Postby Vronsky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:27 am

hey everyone, I go to a T2 greater new york city area school. Curious about my chances to transfer, but my school does not release class rank info till after the second semester.

my GPA after 1 semester is 3.82; grades were two A+s, A, A- and B+. (An A+ is still 4.0 for GPA purposes). I'm roughly estimating this is between top 5-10%. my school has a curve of 10% A and 15% A- with a median between 3.3 and 3.0.

Any better guess?

Assuming I can maintain or slightly improve GPA in the second semester, what are my chances at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown and Fordham? I'm really curious about Georgetown's early admission but feel a little in the dark since I don't know my class rank.

UCLAtransfer

Re: NYC T2 transfer into T1

Postby UCLAtransfer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:20 am

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

Check it out and see if you can find anyone in the databases from the last couple years from your school to see approximately where your GPA puts you rank-wise, and where they were able to transfer from.

I would be very surprised if you were lower than top 5-7% with those grades. If you are around top 5%, you would likely be in good shape for low-mid T14, and a decent shot at NYU/CLS (from what I have seen the past couple years, NYU and CLS often take a number of transfers from the "local" schools).

Vronsky

Re: NYC T2 transfer into T1

Postby Vronsky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:29 pm

Was asked via PM: What do I want to do?

I would like to keep options of Big Law, Clerkships, and Academia open. So far I've enjoyed most of the subjects I've studied, and haven't been able to pin down a particular area I like more than others. So I can't really say "I want to work in X." So partly I'm motivated by better employment prospects, but another major reason is that I just want to see how I compare against better competition.

Some of the professors at my school have encouraged those with high aspirations to transfer. One prof admitted that even with good grades and a good LOR, a grad from my school wouldn't have a chance at the jobs he held previously.

The one reservation I have is with my scholarship. Currently I have half-tuition, but it seems easy enough to leverage a GULC acceptance into a full ride at my current school. Even assuming that, I'm not very tempted to stay.

Return to “Transfers”