Transfer from T30? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Re: Transfer from T30?

Post by lawschooliseasy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote: I would be very curious to hear from anyone that has been dropped from Chicago ED due to low grades. Basically, I wonder how much security it buys you. For example, if I landed top 20-25% next semester, would I maintain my acceptance?
I haven't heard of Chicago revoking its conditional acceptance due to a drop in grades, but that's more likely explained by the fact that people in your position often repeat their performance than by any unwillingness on Chicago's part in pulling the trigger. That being said, even with an ED acceptance in hand, I'd be remiss to feel secure by any means. That is, your incentives for dominating haven't drastically changed given that you will be evaluated, in large part, based on your "Top X% at T30" resume line at OCI, regardless of the transfer school.
Yea, most ED transfers did the same, if not better second semester. No one had ever heard of an offer being rescinded.
Thank you very much for asking around. I really appreciate it.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:49 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote: I would be very curious to hear from anyone that has been dropped from Chicago ED due to low grades. Basically, I wonder how much security it buys you. For example, if I landed top 20-25% next semester, would I maintain my acceptance?
I haven't heard of Chicago revoking its conditional acceptance due to a drop in grades, but that's more likely explained by the fact that people in your position often repeat their performance than by any unwillingness on Chicago's part in pulling the trigger. That being said, even with an ED acceptance in hand, I'd be remiss to feel secure by any means. That is, your incentives for dominating haven't drastically changed given that you will be evaluated, in large part, based on your "Top X% at T30" resume line at OCI, regardless of the transfer school.
Yea, most ED transfers did the same, if not better second semester. No one had ever heard of an offer being rescinded.
Thank you very much for asking around. I really appreciate it.
People freak about it every year. Nothing ever happens.

DeweyWins

New

Post by DeweyWins » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:21 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
*sigh* maybe I should just pull the trigger on Chicago.
I really don't think you should. As others have said, if you repeat your performance (and if you work hard, there's a decent chance you will), you have a realistic shot at HYS. You don't want to close that door.

I just don't see the point in applying to Chicago ED. If you repeat your performance (and so Chicago doesn't rescind your acceptance) you have roughly the same shot at applying to UofC RD, plus a great shot at CLS and HYS. If you drop like a stone 2nd semester, UofC might rescind your acceptance anyway, and you'd be in the same spot you would have been in had you not applied there ED. I really think Chicago ED is just an attempt to siphon away some students who otherwise would go to HYS.

I was in a similar position first semester last year (albeit at a T60), and I opted not to apply to Chicago. I repeated my performance (down to the last decimal point) second semester, and ended up at CLS. HLS rejected me verrrryyy late in the cycle. It was worth the uncertainty of not having an acceptance in hand 2nd semester, just to have that shot. Good luck.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:33 pm

DeweyWins wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
seespotrun wrote: I haven't heard of Chicago revoking its conditional acceptance due to a drop in grades, but that's more likely explained by the fact that people in your position often repeat their performance than by any unwillingness on Chicago's part in pulling the trigger. That being said, even with an ED acceptance in hand, I'd be remiss to feel secure by any means. That is, your incentives for dominating haven't drastically changed given that you will be evaluated, in large part, based on your "Top X% at T30" resume line at OCI, regardless of the transfer school.
*sigh* maybe I should just pull the trigger on Chicago.
I really don't think you should. As others have said, if you repeat your performance (and if you work hard, there's a decent chance you will), you have a realistic shot at HYS. You don't want to close that door.

I just don't see the point in applying to Chicago ED. If you repeat your performance (and so Chicago doesn't rescind your acceptance) you have roughly the same shot at applying to UofC RD, plus a great shot at CLS and HYS. If you drop like a stone 2nd semester, UofC might rescind your acceptance anyway, and you'd be in the same spot you would have been in had you not applied there ED. I really think Chicago ED is just an attempt to siphon away some students who otherwise would go to HYS.

I was in a similar position first semester last year (albeit at a T60), and I opted not to apply to Chicago. I repeated my performance (down to the last decimal point) second semester, and ended up at CLS. HLS rejected me verrrryyy late in the cycle. It was worth the uncertainty of not having an acceptance in hand 2nd semester, just to have that shot. Good luck.
Congrats on CLS. But just FYI, many top 5% applicants were rejected from UofC RD last cycle. I have two friends, both top5% from T30s who were rejected from HYSCC and one rejected from N. Transferring is a crapshoot. Generally, I agree with your advice, not because you'd be a shoe-in RD though, only if you wouldn't be happy at UofC. ED is great for people who KNOW they want UofC, and people like me, whose grades were on the fringes for CCN and who wouldn't have gotten into HYS.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:19 am

I'm increasingly leaning Chi ED. I love Chicago and UofC. I feel like a lot of the difference between top 1% and top 5-10% is just luck. I'm not sure I'm willing to roll the dice to take a shot at HYS. But if I do manage another 4.0 next semester, I'll be furious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:31 am

Unless you book second semester and get HYS, I think you're better off trying to negotiate a full scholarship and staying put. If you're top 5% at T30 you should be in very good shape in August.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”