2L Transfer Grades

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

2L Transfer Grades

Postby A'nold » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Everybody but me post your grades..........go. :wink:










(I haven't received any yet, btw). Does anyone else from lower ranked schools still not believe that the curve at your new school applies to you? My old school's curve was like a 2.67 and my new school is around a 3.3. I feel like I am going to get straight B's or something.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:38 am

Should have made this anonymous homie. Excellent idea though.

Machine Spirit
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby Machine Spirit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:36 am

megaTTTron wrote:Excellent idea though.


Really? It actually seems like a fairly terrible idea to me.

I remember following all of the transfer threads when I was going through the process, and now that it's over, I don't really see the relevance that this thread topic has on current discussion.

Presumably, the intended purpose is some awkward attempt to gauge transfer grades and whether the new school presents more/less/different obstacles to retaining what would likely have been a high transfer GPA. However, what any of us get on the finals at our new school is more illustrative of us as individuals rather than the schools themselves. Some are going to say "easier," some are going to say "harder," some are going to say "about the same."

Outside of raising A'nold's already concerning post count, I really don't see the purpose in this exercise. Let it die. We transferred, missions accomplished, now let it die.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:00 am

Machine Spirit wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:Excellent idea though.


Really? It actually seems like a fairly terrible idea to me.

I remember following all of the transfer threads when I was going through the process, and now that it's over, I don't really see the relevance that this thread topic has on current discussion.

Presumably, the intended purpose is some awkward attempt to gauge transfer grades and whether the new school presents more/less/different obstacles to retaining what would likely have been a high transfer GPA. However, what any of us get on the finals at our new school is more illustrative of us as individuals rather than the schools themselves. Some are going to say "easier," some are going to say "harder," some are going to say "about the same."

Outside of raising A'nold's already concerning post count, I really don't see the purpose in this exercise. Let it die. We transferred, missions accomplished, now let it die.



I don't know dude, I think this can be valuable and interesting info. I'm interested anyway in seeing a 1L GPA/ 2L GPA numbers post for transfers.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:55 am

Machine Spirit wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:Excellent idea though.


Really? It actually seems like a fairly terrible idea to me.

I remember following all of the transfer threads when I was going through the process, and now that it's over, I don't really see the relevance that this thread topic has on current discussion.

Presumably, the intended purpose is some awkward attempt to gauge transfer grades and whether the new school presents more/less/different obstacles to retaining what would likely have been a high transfer GPA. However, what any of us get on the finals at our new school is more illustrative of us as individuals rather than the schools themselves. Some are going to say "easier," some are going to say "harder," some are going to say "about the same."

Outside of raising A'nold's already concerning post count, I really don't see the purpose in this exercise. Let it die. We transferred, missions accomplished, now let it die.


Wrong. Seeing how transfers do at new schools is EXTREMELY important to potential transfers and is of interest to us. Whose end goal is just to transfer? Really? It's to transfer and do well.

Dman
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:28 am

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby Dman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:07 am

No grades yet. I worked sooooo much less than last year, I have no idea how to gauge how I did. Also, higher ranked schools and 2nd year curves are amazing. That being said, I am still stressed because at this point by GPA is 0.0 and a bad first semester will not look good :? .

Machine Spirit
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby Machine Spirit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 am

megaTTTron wrote:Wrong. Seeing how transfers do at new schools is EXTREMELY important to potential transfers and is of interest to us. Whose end goal is just to transfer? Really? It's to transfer and do well.


1. I suppose if a prospective transfer assumed that they were exactly like the successful transfer student now supplying their new school grades, then it may have relevance. But they aren't. How I do at my new school is entirely unique to my own study habits, the classes I chose to take, the particular professors who taught the class, and how well the other students in my class performed. It's nothing like telling prospective transfers my GPA and 1L summer job, as an indicator of what it may take to transfer. You apparently fail to grasp the distinction as to what comes before, and what comes after.

2. I think the primary goal of those who transfer is to increase their prospects during OCI. In that sense, again, the grades we receive during 2L year are irrelevant.

The prospective transfer wants to know a) what school we're came from and b) what we had (i.e. GPA, WE, etc.) prior to the transfer. That's how they gauge whether their transfer will be successful. The threads on how transfers performed at OCI address their concerns on whether transfer students are actually successful in attaining a summer associate position. This thread provides what exactly? Try an example: two people in this thread have transferred to the same school. Both landed BigLaw offers for the coming summer. One ends up getting a 3.75 GPA, the other a 3.15. What exactly has this taught the prospective transfer? How does this factor, at all, in their decision-making process? It simply doesn't.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:Wrong. Seeing how transfers do at new schools is EXTREMELY important to potential transfers and is of interest to us. Whose end goal is just to transfer? Really? It's to transfer and do well.


1. I suppose if a prospective transfer assumed that they were exactly like the successful transfer student now supplying their new school grades, then it may have relevance. But they aren't. How I do at my new school is entirely unique to my own study habits, the classes I chose to take, the particular professors who taught the class, and how well the other students in my class performed. It's nothing like telling prospective transfers my GPA and 1L summer job, as an indicator of what it may take to transfer. You apparently fail to grasp the distinction as to what comes before, and what comes after.

2. I think the primary goal of those who transfer is to increase their prospects during OCI. In that sense, again, the grades we receive during 2L year are irrelevant.

The prospective transfer wants to know a) what school we're came from and b) what we had (i.e. GPA, WE, etc.) prior to the transfer. That's how they gauge whether their transfer will be successful. The threads on how transfers performed at OCI address their concerns on whether transfer students are actually successful in attaining a summer associate position. This thread provides what exactly? Try an example: two people in this thread have transferred to the same school. Both landed BigLaw offers for the coming summer. One ends up getting a 3.75 GPA, the other a 3.15. What exactly has this taught the prospective transfer? How does this factor, at all, in their decision-making process? It simply doesn't.


I don't even know where to begin. This is beginning to derail to thread.

Wrt (1) that's just like, your opinion man. I'd like to know how transfers perform at their new schools. It shows prospective students how well transfers are able to compete at a higher level. The same way prospective students are interested in how well splitters/ reverse splitters/ URMs/ etc perform in law school, even though LSAT scores and URM status is highly personalized. Although the process is very student-specific that certainly doesn't stop people from using the numbers/ examples while making decisions. Go write a paper on why people shouldn't, stop wasting our time in this thread.

Wrt (2) think before you post.

2L grades are extremely important for transfers because firms often have grade cutoffs for full time offers.
2L grades are extremely important for those transfers applying to clerk.
2L grades are extremely important for those transfers trying to graduate order of the coif/ with distinctions.


Seriously? "Everybody stop because I don't think this is important!"

Troll elsewhere fool.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Here's a new anonymous thread homies: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=142406

Machine Spirit
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby Machine Spirit » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:48 pm

megaTTTron wrote:I don't even know where to begin. This is beginning to derail to thread.

Wrt (1) that's just like, your opinion man. I'd like to know how transfers perform at their new schools. It shows prospective students how well transfers are able to compete at a higher level. The same way prospective students are interested in how well splitters/ reverse splitters/ URMs/ etc perform in law school, even though LSAT scores and URM status is highly personalized. Although the process is very student-specific that certainly doesn't stop people from using the numbers/ examples while making decisions.


Again, you don't seem to understand the distinction between what comes before 1L year and what comes after. Prospective students are interested in knowing how splitters/reverse splitters/URMs perform when they begin law school (i.e. 1L year) because it illustrates to them whether or applying would be worthwhile. Moreover, that "compete at a higher level" contention is simply disingenuous. What separates most of these schools is the LSAT range they're willing to accept. Most all of the professors come from the usual suspects of schools (i.e. Harvard/Yale/etc.) and most of the curves are roughly similar, if not better.

megaTTTron wrote:2L grades are extremely important for transfers because firms often have grade cutoffs for full time offers.


Uh, no. Only a few firms have enforced grade cut-offs (i.e. STB), which you actually know, considering you're in the Legal Employment section all the time (again, disingenuous :wink: ). 1L grades dictate the summer associate offer, work product and effort over the summer generally dictate the permanent offer. Now, that clearly isn't an excuse to somehow drop a huge degree in GPA, but that isn't what we're talking about here.

megaTTTron wrote:2L grades are extremely important for those transfers applying to clerk.


Granted. Minority of students are interested in this prospect, but you're still right about that

megaTTTron wrote:2L grades are extremely important for those transfers trying to graduate order of the coif/ with distinctions.


Lol. In my entire time lurking I've never once seen anyone even ask about Coif or distinctions. Ever.

megaTTTron wrote:Troll elsewhere fool.


Why is this construed as trolling; simply because I disagree with the value of this thread? RSVP trolls. I don't. I've been polite, and have attempted to articulate my points.

Moreover, this is the only life this thread even has now. No one has actually posted in it, because 1) A'nold jumped the gun by about 2.5 weeks, 2) This forum is generally comprised of prospective transfers, and 3) No one is interested or feels like contributing.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:I don't even know where to begin. This is beginning to derail to thread.

Wrt (1) that's just like, your opinion man. I'd like to know how transfers perform at their new schools. It shows prospective students how well transfers are able to compete at a higher level. The same way prospective students are interested in how well splitters/ reverse splitters/ URMs/ etc perform in law school, even though LSAT scores and URM status is highly personalized. Although the process is very student-specific that certainly doesn't stop people from using the numbers/ examples while making decisions.


Again, you don't seem to understand the distinction between what comes before 1L year and what comes after. Prospective students are interested in knowing how splitters/reverse splitters/URMs perform when they begin law school (i.e. 1L year) because it illustrates to them whether or applying would be worthwhile. Moreover, that "compete at a higher level" contention is simply disingenuous. What separates most of these schools is the LSAT range they're willing to accept. Most all of the professors come from the usual suspects of schools (i.e. Harvard/Yale/etc.) and most of the curves are roughly similar, if not better.

megaTTTron wrote:2L grades are extremely important for transfers because firms often have grade cutoffs for full time offers.


Uh, no. Only a few firms have enforced grade cut-offs (i.e. STB), which you actually know, considering you're in the Legal Employment section all the time (again, disingenuous :wink: ). 1L grades dictate the summer associate offer, work product and effort over the summer generally dictate the permanent offer. Now, that clearly isn't an excuse to somehow drop a huge degree in GPA, but that isn't what we're talking about here.

megaTTTron wrote:2L grades are extremely important for those transfers applying to clerk.


Granted. Minority of students are interested in this prospect, but you're still right about that

megaTTTron wrote:2L grades are extremely important for those transfers trying to graduate order of the coif/ with distinctions.


Lol. In my entire time lurking I've never once seen anyone even ask about Coif or distinctions. Ever.

megaTTTron wrote:Troll elsewhere fool.


Why is this construed as trolling; simply because I disagree with the value of this thread? RSVP trolls. I don't. I've been polite, and have attempted to articulate my points.

Moreover, this is the only life this thread even has now. No one has actually posted in it, because 1) A'nold jumped the gun by about 2.5 weeks, 2) This forum is generally comprised of prospective transfers, and 3) No one is interested or feels like contributing.


Face palm.

Maybe a MEME will assist:
--ImageRemoved--

Dman
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:28 am

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby Dman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:

megaTTTron wrote:2L grades are extremely important for those transfers trying to graduate order of the coif/ with distinctions.


Lol. In my entire time lurking I've never once seen anyone even ask about Coif or distinctions. Ever.



Coif and Latin honors were a consideration for me, although I ended up at a school with no honors and who won't grant transfers Coif. I am also one who is considering clerking. I would think that a large portion of transfers want more than just OCI. For me I had a job before transfer, but I wanted a future shot at academia and more importantly a degree with a name to continue with me through my legal career. OCI alone would not be enough of a reason to transfer imo. In other words, there is value to other considerations such as how do transfers hold up. More importantly, it also provides a quasi-support network for those of us (I am assuming many are like myself) who have doubts if they have the moxie to hang with the cool kids at the new playground. Anecdotal success stories relieve some of the stress.

Sorry for feeding the troll.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:04 pm

Dman wrote:
Machine Spirit wrote:

megaTTTron wrote:2L grades are extremely important for those transfers trying to graduate order of the coif/ with distinctions.


Lol. In my entire time lurking I've never once seen anyone even ask about Coif or distinctions. Ever.



Coif and Latin honors were a consideration for me, although I ended up at a school with no honors and who won't grant transfers Coif. I am also one who is considering clerking. I would think that a large portion of transfers want more than just OCI. For me I had a job before transfer, but I wanted a future shot at academia and more importantly a degree with a name to continue with me through my legal career. OCI alone would not be enough of a reason to transfer imo. In other words, there is value to other considerations such as how do transfers hold up. More importantly, it also provides a quasi-support network for those of us (I am assuming many are like myself) who have doubts if they have the moxie to hang with the cool kids at the new playground. Anecdotal success stories relieve some of the stress.

Sorry for feeding the troll.


Come join the real party: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=142406

Also, for lulz, classic troll signals: Troll only thinks its opinion is valid. A/k/a using personal anecdotal evidence to support sweeping conclusions (like, "Troll thinks 1Ls use information for X, therefore, using information for Y is impossible", or "because few use information for Y, information should not be used for Y")

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby A'nold » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:29 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
Dman wrote:
Machine Spirit wrote:

megaTTTron wrote:2L grades are extremely important for those transfers trying to graduate order of the coif/ with distinctions.


Lol. In my entire time lurking I've never once seen anyone even ask about Coif or distinctions. Ever.



Coif and Latin honors were a consideration for me, although I ended up at a school with no honors and who won't grant transfers Coif. I am also one who is considering clerking. I would think that a large portion of transfers want more than just OCI. For me I had a job before transfer, but I wanted a future shot at academia and more importantly a degree with a name to continue with me through my legal career. OCI alone would not be enough of a reason to transfer imo. In other words, there is value to other considerations such as how do transfers hold up. More importantly, it also provides a quasi-support network for those of us (I am assuming many are like myself) who have doubts if they have the moxie to hang with the cool kids at the new playground. Anecdotal success stories relieve some of the stress.

Sorry for feeding the troll.


Come join the real party: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=142406

Also, for lulz, classic troll signals: Troll only thinks its opinion is valid. A/k/a using personal anecdotal evidence to support sweeping conclusions (like, "Troll thinks 1Ls use information for X, therefore, using information for Y is impossible", or "because few use information for Y, information should not be used for Y")


Haha, the last time I checked this thread I was the only one to post. :) I'll read this later but can already tell I'm going to be giving mad props to Megatttron as usual. 8)

I did read the "except for your post count" comment though.......lulz.


Edit: just read through. Um....what is the point of 1L's talking about their grades and the 2L's doing the same in the student forum? Sometimes we talk about things as, you know, um...a community? Also, I cannot count the amount of times that students debated last year whether transfers could keep up with the students at their new transfer schools and everybody was clamoring for empirical evidence. So, in a nutshell, machine spirit is very, very wrong. Mega basically said all of this. :)

Machine Spirit
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby Machine Spirit » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:59 pm

Dman wrote:Coif and Latin honors were a consideration for me, although I ended up at a school with no honors and who won't grant transfers Coif. I am also one who is considering clerking. I would think that a large portion of transfers want more than just OCI. For me I had a job before transfer, but I wanted a future shot at academia and more importantly a degree with a name to continue with me through my legal career. OCI alone would not be enough of a reason to transfer imo. In other words, there is value to other considerations such as how do transfers hold up. More importantly, it also provides a quasi-support network for those of us (I am assuming many are like myself) who have doubts if they have the moxie to hang with the cool kids at the new playground. Anecdotal success stories relieve some of the stress.


You would have to admit that the vast majority of law students are not considering clerkship at the end of their academic careers. That you are interested in the possibility, and thus also attach importance to Coif and honor distinctions, is very nice; however, you are in the minority.

Moreover, MegaTTTron's selective argumentation is amusing. He claims something like:

megaTTTron wrote: A/k/a using personal anecdotal evidence to support sweeping conclusions


Yet he quotes your post, in agreement, even though you solely use your own personal desires, i.e. the most personal anecdotal evidence possible.

megaTTTron wrote:Also, for lulz, classic troll signals: Troll only thinks its opinion is valid.


Sigh. And that makes you....?

A'nold wrote:Haha, the last time I checked this thread I was the only one to post. :) I'll read this later but can already tell I'm going to be giving mad props to Megatttron as usual. 8)

I did read the "except for your post count" comment though.......lulz.

Edit: just read through. Um....what is the point of 1L's talking about their grades and the 2L's doing the same in the student forum? Sometimes we talk about things as, you know, um...a community? Also, I cannot count the amount of times that students debated last year whether transfers could keep up with the students at their new transfer schools and everybody was clamoring for empirical evidence. So, in a nutshell, machine spirit is very, very wrong. Mega basically said all of this. :)


I've already explained my rationale. I simply don't believe that a prospective transfer is depending on the results of 2L exams to the extent that you apparently do. To me, your thread seemed like just one of the many TLS opportunities to potentially act as a braggart.

I'm not a fan of the "look at me" mentality, which is unfortunate in that it 1) occasionally makes time spent on TLS aggravating, considering the general attitude of posters, and 2) I spend so much time rolling my eyes when I see topics like this.

I generally just choose not to respond (i.e. see my post count), but I suppose I had way too much free time considering it's break and all. In that sense, this will be my last post on the topic. You and Mega may respond if you so choose, I don't care either way.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby A'nold » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Well, I haven't received grades yet and I feel like a median student at best, so I'm sure this thread won't benefit my "braggart ego," lol.

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby UCLAtransfer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:I generally just choose not to respond (i.e. see my post count), but I suppose I had way too much free time considering it's break and all. In that sense, this will be my last post on the topic. You and Mega may respond if you so choose, I don't care either way.


Then thank you for doing us all a favor, and GTFO.

/Machine Spirit's derailing, and back on topic.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: 2L Transfer Grades

Postby thexfactor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:19 pm

the hunger this semester was gone for me. Especially after I got a position. I doubt my grades are anywhere close to what I had last year.
I really have to turn up the jets this semester.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.