Chances for transfer from a T4 to T2

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Terebrae

Chances for transfer from a T4 to T2

Postby Terebrae » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:32 am

I've applied for transfer to DePaul law school but the review process has been going on for 3 weeks and I'm beginning to panic myself. My worry is that because my transfer is from Cooley I will be looked at less favorably than I would be if I attended a different T4. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to how transfer committees in general view Cooley, or, in the miraculous, have insight into DePaul itself.

My LSAT was a 158 with a 3.4 undergrad gpa. At law school I'm at the 4% with book awards in criminal law and criminal procedure. I also was a finalist for the first-year moot court competition.

Any advice (or sympathy :p) would be appreciated.

BlueDiamond

Re: Chances for transfer from a T4 to T2

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:41 am

With a 158 and 3.4 why Cooley in the first place?

Sorry no advice on Depaul because I'm not sure about their transfer policies

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:51 am

why are you shooting so low. Try to get into a lower T1 or higher T2

Terebrae

Postby Terebrae » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:09 am

@ BlueDiamond: A very close friend and I always planned on attending law school together and Cooley is how things worked out. They also were by far my most economic option.

My intention was always to enter the public sector. I didn't really understand how competitive that can be, especially for the Chicago area. I don't terribly regret attending Cooley. My experience there on the whole was positive. My only real regret would be if I'm unable to attend the school that will help me do what I want in my career.

@jarofsoup: Thank you for the vote of confidence. While it may be possible to get into a higher ranked school, I am sure that I want to work in the Chicago area. This narrows my option (to my understanding). I don't think I'm near exceptional enough for U of Chicago or Northwestern. Loyola is a possibility. However, they do not accept transfers for the spring semester as DePaul does.

Somewhat long story for why I'm applying in Spring: Cooley operates on a 3 semester cycle. They strongly encourage students to take 12 credits a semester, with 36 credits being taken each year in total. This makes transferring difficult: in this cycle, you do not take research and writing until your third semester (Summer). Many schools require R&W to consider you for transfer. Cooley does not have grades posted until a few weeks into the next semester, and so, your Summer grades aren't available for consideration when you apply for the fall semester (the standard semester for transfers). So, my advice is if you attend Cooley and specifically wish to transfer, you ought take 15 credits your first 2 semesters.

I took 15 credits my first semester and did well, but 5 exams was stressful to study for (to say the least). At the time, I was not considering transfer and so I dropped down to 12 credits the next semester, missing R&W.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:35 am

Terebrae wrote:@ BlueDiamond: A very close friend and I always planned on attending law school together and Cooley is how things worked out. They also were by far my most economic option.

My intention was always to enter the public sector. I didn't really understand how competitive that can be, especially for the Chicago area. I don't terribly regret attending Cooley. My experience there on the whole was positive. My only real regret would be if I'm unable to attend the school that will help me do what I want in my career.

@jarofsoup: Thank you for the vote of confidence. While it may be possible to get into a higher ranked school, I am sure that I want to work in the Chicago area. This narrows my option (to my understanding). I don't think I'm near exceptional enough for U of Chicago or Northwestern. Loyola is a possibility. However, they do not accept transfers for the spring semester as DePaul does.

Somewhat long story for why I'm applying in Spring: Cooley operates on a 3 semester cycle. They strongly encourage students to take 12 credits a semester, with 36 credits being taken each year in total. This makes transferring difficult: in this cycle, you do not take research and writing until your third semester (Summer). Many schools require R&W to consider you for transfer. Cooley does not have grades posted until a few weeks into the next semester, and so, your Summer grades aren't available for consideration when you apply for the fall semester (the standard semester for transfers). So, my advice is if you attend Cooley and specifically wish to transfer, you ought take 15 credits your first 2 semesters.

I took 15 credits my first semester and did well, but 5 exams was stressful to study for (to say the least). At the time, I was not considering transfer and so I dropped down to 12 credits the next semester, missing R&W.

Apply to UIUC for next fall for sure. I don’t think the fact that you are taking LRW in the summer will mean you can’t transfer because you will have taken it prior to matriculating in the fall (most schools will require you to take all the 1st year courses prior to transferring, but probably not before applying). If anything, I would imagine they will look at you like a part-time student (which is basically what you are if you are only taking 24 credits your first year). If you’re worried about whether they will actually grant you conditional acceptance with just 24 credits (and not having taken LRW), than shoot dean pless an PM or email and ask. Your odds of getting anything in Chicago from UIUC are much better than from Depaul (sounds like a crazy concept considering depaul in located in Chicago, but Chicago is a really tight market since so many people want to work there and there are so few jobs actually available).

In any event, seriously consider the amount of debt you will be incurring by attending DePaul at sticker (or whatever school you transfer to). Last time I checked, I recall DePaul being around $70K+ /year (with cost of living), so that’s $140k just for your last 2 years of law school. With the market the way it is right now, your odds of not finding any paying legal job from DePaul are pretty high. I think your situation is a tough one because you put pinned yourself into a corner by attending Cooley because the odds of not finding any paying legal job anywhere is really high as well. But the increase in total debt load is food for thought nonetheless (i.e. repaying something like $90k from Cooley might be easier than repaying $200k after transferring to DePaul on a waiter or fast food employee’s salary, although both scenarios are tough).

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:49 am

Check the Yahoo transfer apps databases. Cooley has by far the largest sample for transfer students. Good luck. :)

random5483

Postby random5483 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:19 pm

I'd imagine that top 4% even from Cooley would have a shot at some T1's and higher ranked T2s. Good luck. Top 5% from a TTTT from what I have read here have a shot at T1s. Even with Cooley's "worst of the TTTTs" rep, you should have a good chance of transferring to most T2s and even some T1s if you maintain your class rank.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:30 pm

There's a Cooley transfer at W&L this year. That's TTTT to T1.

Midleton

Postby Midleton » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:43 pm

I transferred out of Cooley this past year to a MidT1 (between 20 and 30). I was in the top 10% at Cooley and had some connections to the school I was applying to. I don't have any grades back from this past semester, but I am still certain that transferring was the right decision for me.

Also, there were quite a few people in my class that transferred from Cooley to a T1 school. It is certainly possible.

As others have said you should aim for UIUC. That's the best school you may be able to get into if you want to work in the Chicago market.

Good luck.

Return to “Transfers”