Few Questions Regarding Transfers From Lower Ranked Schools

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
megaTTTron

Re: Few Questions Regarding Transfers From Lower Ranked Schools

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Journeybound wrote:If you have no experience with law school exams, and you've never attempted to transfer, you need to lay off TToN. He helped to inspire most of last year's transfers by sharing his own experiences, and filling us in on the realities of what it takes to transfer. That is what we are trying to do here. Anyways, ToTransferorNot was a successful transfer, he is top of his class at Chicago, and it appears that he has a Court of Appeals clerkship lined up, along with a BigLaw gig.

If you are a 1L, and you are planning on transferring, wait a few weeks until your grades come back. Then we can talk. You might have what it takes. If you are a 0L, and are thinking about someday transferring out of your T3 that you have been accepted at, don't count on it. The odds are against you. And if you do kill it after your first semester, then you MIGHT have a shot.

Anyways, don't come into the transfer forum asking for advice, and then insulting those who are trying to give it. We are just trying to fill you in on the realities of what it takes. Toughen up.

TITMFCR. A-men. (How's Berzerkely JB?)

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:19 pm

I'm a lone conservative. But I freaken love it. =p Unfortunately, it looks like we might get a few days of rain this weekend...

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Journeybound wrote:I'm a lone conservative. But I freaken love it. =p Unfortunately, it looks like we might get a few days of rain this weekend...

rain >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> snow.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:14 am

megaTTTron wrote:
Journeybound wrote:I was a transfer from a T2 to a T10 this last fall. Here is what I saw the trend as being:

T2 --> T14 = Top 5-8%
T2 --> T10 = Top 3-5%, or probably better.
T2 --> T6 = Top 3% for a decent shot
T2 --> HYS = #1, and even then still nearly impossible (I don't think I've heard of this happening).

I was top 3% at a T2. I had great letters of recommendation. I applied to every school within the T14, and I was accepted to only 2!!!! Fortunately I got into my top choice and I love it there.

T3/T3 -->T14 = Top 5% will PROBABLY NOT CUT IT (maybe for GULC...). You most likely need a Top 1-3%
T3/T4 -->T10 = At the very top 1-3 people. One person on this board landed in there and transferred from T4-->Berkeley.

And here is an example of what can go wrong. One of my friends at my T2 aced her first semester and was on the edge of the Top 5%. During the second semester we had a professor who tested completely different than any other professor (multiple questions, strict word limit). Like most of us, she was thrown off on the timing, and she ended up not finishing the last few questions, giving her a C+ in the class. That one little mistake kicked her into barely the top 20%--she fell that far from a stupid professor's decision to give an odd ball test.

Anyways, if you go in willing to put in 16 hour days and have the natural ability to perform well on tests, I think that you will have a shot. But that shot is not a guarantee. And there are a LOT of things that can go wrong. Going in the back door is MUCH MORE DIFFICULT than performing well on the LSAT. But hey, if that's your only option, attack next year with NO REGRETS. That was my philosophy...

TITCR. Rest assured, this professor is at every law school in the country. The one at my 1L school gave me a below median grade as well. And only because I aced every other class did it not hurt me, but MAN I got lucky.

ONE professor absolutely screwed my class rank in my last semester. I was the #1 ranked student and he gave me a C+. He curved to a 2.4 where the other section's torts professor graded to above a 3.0. I looked at my exam and I had absolutely rocked it until the gigantic essay. I answered it well but used ONE word (I think it was manufacturer and he wanted just seller or something like that). He wrote a question mark through that essay and gave me a 0. He is known for this. I don't think he even read past that one word.

He is a gigantic ass hole and brags about it. I got lucky that a transfer school (basically my only realistic dream school) and life is great. However, that one dude (as well as a forced curve that was about .5 less than the other section) almost cost me a transfer. These guys are not lying.

Plus- TTON is very honest and an asset to the transfer forum. Megatttron is a legend. You look like an even bigger fool by calling out people as internet bullies living in their mom's basement when they are more successful than 99% of of could ever hope to be. Let this be a lesson to you and move on and contribute to this website. I recommend not continuing down this shooting from the hip kind of path if you want any credibility on here.

Mega- how's life man?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:30 am

A'nold -- Great. Fighting off the chicago winter blues though. I'm pm'ing you w/ more details.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:56 am

Here is a cool trick...

Imagine saying this out loud to some of your fellow classmates...

cp16 wrote:I'm very confident that I could make the top 5% or so and am just wondering if it's worth my efforts.

Do you sound like a douche? If yes, then you probably sound like a douche when you say it online, too. Just letting you know, to prevent any further damage.

Another thing you may want to consider is just doing some research before you ask any question that just pops into your head. Everything you asked could have been answered with just a quick search.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:46 am

megaTTTron wrote:A'nold -- Great. Fighting off the chicago winter blues though. I'm pm'ing you w/ more details.

Hey, where's my pm? :)

thegor1987

Postby thegor1987 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:01 am

concurrent fork wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Christ this is funny

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:23 am

cp16 wrote:I'm pretty confident in my abilities and know where my limitations lie. Out of high school I wanted to go to Michigan but got a 19 on my ACT. Obviously not good enough. I went to a community college for a year and got a 4.0 there and was accepted to Michigan as a transfer student. Ended up getting into the Ross School of Business graduating with honors. Regardless, if you could answer my question I would appreciate it. Hypothetically, if one were to apply to Michigan, Northwester, Notre Dame from a T3 and they were in the top 5% of their class, would they have a chance? Do admissions for transfer students tend to place less focus on the LSAT and more on your actual law school grades? Obviously I would re-evaluate before applying for transfer and if I didn't think I had a realistic chance, I wouldn't waste my time.

edit: and thanks for the info sojuteacher, just wondering if it's possible.

I have some pretty direct info on this... transferring colleges is far, far easier than transferring law schools. I went to Michigan as well, and know tons of people who transferred in by feasting on easy community college classes. You can't really do that in law school. Even at the "bad" law schools, competition is pretty fierce, people are pretty smart, and grades are notoriously fickle and subject to unanticipated variance.

Hypothetically, if one were to apply to Michigan, Northwester, Notre Dame from a T3 and they were in the top 5% of their class, would they have a chance?

Yes, but 1) you could still be rejected and 2) your prior experience in transferring into programs will have no bearing on future performance. The competencies required for law school are different than undergrad. As a point of example, one of my good buddies from law school was from the same undergrad Michigan class. We had the same major (Economics), but I had a barely 3.0 GPA whilst he had a 3.95 GPA. After 1L year I was top 15% and he was below median. I doubt that's uncommon. It's just hard to project undergrad performance to law school performance.

So yes, you could very well do well enough to transfer into one of these schools. Just for God's sake don't rely on it.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:48 am

If you don't do well on standardized test, its likely you won't do well on law school exams. Not because law school exams are similar to standardized tests - even law school exams that include some multiple choice are very different from standardized tests.

But if you don't do well on things like the ACT, APs, and LSAT, it's probably because you don't perform well under intense pressure. I can assure you that law school exams are more intense than any standardized test you've ever taken. The pressure builds for months until some people crack, and others take advantage.

By the way, throw the MBA comparisons away. Everyone knows MBA grades are a joke based on your group work. Law school exams are based on 3 lonely hours with nothing but you and a blank computer screen facing a massive fact pattern while everyone around you sweats profusely and types furiously. Good luck.

Return to “Transfers”