1L at Wisconsin: What do I need for what?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Regionality

1L at Wisconsin: What do I need for what?

Postby Regionality » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:43 am

1L at Wisconsin, starting to think about the possibilities of transferring.

WI is ranked 28. What rank would I need to transfer to a T7-14 school and a T15-20 school?

Is transferring to a 15-20 school worth it from WI?

superflush

Re: 1L at Wisconsin: What do I need for what?

Postby superflush » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:03 am

Regionality wrote:Is transferring to a 15-20 school worth it from WI?

Depends entirely on where you want to work.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:09 am

superflush wrote:

Depends entirely on where you want to work.

ok...assume I would be fine working in the region of whichever T15-20 school I attend.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:06 am

superflush wrote:
Regionality wrote:Depends entirely on where you want to work.

ok...assume I would be fine working in the region of whichever T15-20 school I attend.

Yes, what I'm saying is that whether or not you should transfer to T15-20 should really depend on where you want to work.
If you want to work in SoCal, and you get into UCLA, you should probably go.
If you want to work in Texas, and you get into UT, you should probably go.
If you want to stay in Wisconsin, or even go to Chicago, then I don't think you'd be aided much in transferring to 15-20.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:02 pm

No. These are still regional schools. Since you are already at a T30, the only reason to transfer there is a desire to work in that market > your current market.

Regionality wrote:What rank would I need to transfer to a T7-14 school

Top 10% would be competitive, maybe Top 15% for GULC.
Last edited by concurrent fork on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR233270

Postby JR233270 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:03 pm

You need to get off of this site and study for your finals.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:39 am

Um...yea I'm gonna allow myself 15 seconds of TLS after 12 hours of studying for Civ Pro...
Bump.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:46 pm

So, I think I'm the resident 'expert' on transfering out of Wisconsin.

First of all: You haven't taken your exams yet. What the fuck are you doing even thinking about this? I mean, good luck and everything: (just remember, "Under any reasonable view of the evidence, could a reasonable person reasonably conclude" over.. and over.. and over again, if you have Dicky, anyway).

I was top 1% and got UChicago ED; might have gotten H, but I will never know, since UChi ED is binding. Think Wisconsin has sent someone to UChi every year for 4 or 5 years, now.

If you crack top 10% you have a shot at most of the T14, and should probably blanket (though you'll get more rejections than acceptances). If you're hovering around 5%, I would ED to Chicago, because 5% probably won't get you Harvard. If you're in the position I was in, I wouldn't ED to Chicago, because you'll spend the rest of your life wondering whether Harvard was in reach.

Whether transfering is "worth it":

First of all, a lot depends on whether you are currently paying instate or out-of-state tuition/what scholarships you have, etc. I was paying in-state, so there was that point. If you are paying full freight, then the calculus for smaller jumps isn't the same. Unless you have a really strong location preference and can transfer to mesh with that location preference, you aren't going to see any job placement gains until you get in to T14 territory.

Georgetown is its own special beast. Generally, the employment prospects are much better than they are out of Wisconsin. However, had I transfered to GT, I feel like I would have struck out at OCI (I only got 1 OCI offer at UChi); so transfering would have proved to be the worst decision I made in my entire life. At the lower T14, you need to weigh general prestige against Law Review prestige, and what impact those things have on job placement.

T6 or better - certainly worth going.

Now get the fuck off this board and stop thinking about this, because you're a looooong way from this question being relevant to your life.

LSHopeful2

Postby LSHopeful2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Now get the fuck off this board and stop thinking about this, because you're a looooong way from this question being relevant to your life.
Last edited by LSHopeful2 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Jebus that was some major ire...

I literally spend 1 minute on TLS / day and I get crap from people for being distracted from my studying....

But I do appreciate the insights.

Wisconsin is a great school in a great town. It's cold as crap right now but considering I have no time to enjoy the outdoors it doesn't really matter. Night life is a great scene when I have time to get out there.

Academically, the professors are all really great. They are on top of their game, except for some who are legends but old and kind of confused (though it doesn't seem to ease up their grading at all).

Fellow students: Definitely smart, but also definitely not geniuses. Certainly many of them are going to be excellent lawyers, but there are still a decent number of slackers (but I assume this is the case at any school)

OCI got shat on, but I don't think it got any more shat on than other similarly ranked schools, though it's hard to know. The biggest difference is Chicago firms/orgs presence, which is to say...it's very much diminished.

One thing that's interesting about my classes/peers is how little anyone seems to care about actual issues, policy, ethics, morals or anything else that matters besides just learning the material and getting good grades. This isn't to say it's hyper-competitive, becuase it really isn't. I just don't get the sense that people are passionate about what they believe in-- at least not enough to bring it up in class. There have seriously been no political/ethical/principle-based discussions/debates in any of my classes all semester long...which is weird because we're all supposed to be smart and opinionated...

Maybe everyone is just so freaked out about grades that no one cares about what they believe in. There is a girl in my class who was once asked "Do you think this is a fair rule?" and her answer was "Yes...maybe not, I don't know...it depends what you [professor] think should be our priorities". I mean seriously, wtf.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Regionality wrote:Jebus that was some major ire...

I literally spend 1 minute on TLS / day and I get crap from people for being distracted from my studying....

Wisconsin is a great school in a great town. It's cold as crap right now but considering I have no time to enjoy the outdoors it doesn't really matter. Night life is a great scene when I have time to get out there.

Academically, the professors are all really great. They are on top of their game, except for some who are legends but old and kind of confused (though it doesn't seem to ease up their grading at all).

Fellow students: Definitely smart, but also definitely not geniuses. Certainly many of them are going to be excellent lawyers, but there are still a decent number of slackers (but I assume this is the case at any school)

OCI got shat on, but I don't think it got any more shat on than other similarly ranked schools, though it's hard to know. The biggest difference is Chicago firms/orgs presence, which is to say...it's very much diminished.

One thing that's interesting about my classes/peers is how little anyone seems to care about actual issues, policy, ethics, morals or anything else that matters besides just learning the material and getting good grades. This isn't to say it's hyper-competitive, becuase it really isn't. I just don't get the sense that people are passionate about what they believe in-- at least not enough to bring it up in class. There have seriously been no political/ethical/principle-based discussions/debates in any of my classes all semester long...which is weird because we're all supposed to be smart and opinionated...

Maybe everyone is just so freaked out about grades that no one cares about what they believe in. There is a girl in my class who was once asked "Do you think this is a fair rule?" and her answer was "Yes...maybe not, I don't know...it depends what you [professor] think should be our priorities". I mean seriously, wtf.

I think I just puked in my mouth. I don't even know how to respond to this.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:52 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
Regionality wrote:Jebus that was some major ire...

I think I just puked in my mouth. I don't even know how to respond to this.

Me neither...

sconnielaw13

Postby sconnielaw13 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Return to “Transfers”