Transfer from GW ---> Boalt

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Teoeo

Transfer from GW ---> Boalt

Postby Teoeo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:45 pm

I was just curious how high up in the class at GW would give someone a good shot at transferring to Boalt.

Gatriel

Re: Transfer from GW ---> Boalt

Postby Gatriel » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:28 am

I'd guess top 5% to 10% to be safe. Its not like you're coming from TTT.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/43.htm

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:36 am

Gatriel wrote:I'd guess top 5% to 10% to be safe. Its not like you're coming from TTT.

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/43.htm

top 5% is probably safe but 10% maybe not. I was top 7-8% at a T30 and got rejected.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:23 am

if you're in the top 5% at gw, dont transfer

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:20 pm

$$$$$$ wrote:if you're in the top 5% at gw, dont transfer unless you want to work on the West Coast, in the Midwest, PNW, or Texas...

FTFY :wink:

Also, IB GWU has national placement.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Check out the thread from last year: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=115050

Most people are in the top 5% or so regardless of school ranking.

180orbust

Postby 180orbust » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:13 am

top 20% is possible. 5% is safe.

Eco

Postby Eco » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:01 am

Is it generally not a good idea to transfer if you're in top 5-10%? I'm at GW. I have no idea what my grades will be, but I was in the top 5% (basically top 3 students) for my Civ pro midterm exam. If my final exams ended up well, I am thinking of attempting to transfer to either Columbia, NYU, or Georgetown.

Is it a good idea, or would I be better off staying at GW? For the record, I really like GW, I just really like NYC too.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 am

Eco wrote:Is it generally not a good idea to transfer if you're in top 5-10%? I'm at GW. I have no idea what my grades will be, but I was in the top 5% (basically top 3 students) for my Civ pro midterm exam. If my final exams ended up well, I am thinking of attempting to transfer to either Columbia, NYU, or Georgetown.

Is it a good idea, or would I be better off staying at GW? For the record, I really like GW, I just really like NYC too.

There are many opinions re: when a transfer becomes worthwhile. Objectively, I think you should only give up top 5-10% at a T30 for HYSCCN. Aiming lower only makes sense if you have personal reasons to relocate, or if you want to focus exclusively on a west-coast market.

With top 10% at GW, you have a good shot at NYC or DC biglaw regardless of whether you transfer. However, moving to T6 will give you access to more selective firms, better clerkship opportunities, and possible teaching gigs down the road.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Not sure if this is still true, but in recent years (about four years ago) UCal-Berkeley required transferring students to be in the top 5% of their law school class.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:58 pm

A friend of mine went from GW -> Boalt a couple of years ago (just graduated in May). He was top 10% but not top 5%. Transferring seems to be increasingly more competitive ITE, but I would imagine the same general grade range would apply. I think Berkeley is one of those schools that really cares about a compelling story re transferring though too, so if you have a good reason make sure to put it in your PS.

I think the move makes a lot of sense if you definitely know you want to end up on the left coast.

Return to “Transfers”