Transfer Stigma

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
APHill

Transfer Stigma

Postby APHill » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:54 pm

Is there a significant stigma attached to transfers? Like, do you have to list both schools on your resume and stuff?

Bankhead

Re: Transfer Stigma

Postby Bankhead » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:04 pm

I don't really know what you mean by stigma. How is having to list both schools evidence of a stigma? You obviously have to list both schools because you have no grades/and or activities from your new school when you first transfer. At my school (and I think in general), the transfers did better than the general population at OCI.

I also think you shouldn't be worrying about this right now. If you are a 1L, you should be studying. If you are a 0L, you shouldn't attend a school you wouldn't feel comfortable graduating from.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:14 pm

I'm not sure about stigma, but there is definitely a transfer stigmata

APHill

Postby APHill » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:18 pm

What about after graduation - do you still have to list both schools?

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:30 pm

APHill wrote:Is there a significant stigma attached to transfers? Like, do you have to list both schools on your resume and stuff?

You should list both on your resume for OCI and clerkship purposes, but after that you can just list your graduating institution.

"Stigma" is very limited. You need to be ready to defend your decision to transfer in front of employers, but this is not difficult as long as you made a large enough jump or had personal reasons to relocate. As far as your new classmates, most will just assume you were in a different section 1L year and will never know you are a transfer.

There are some isolated examples of students trying to change the transfer policy at their school - I think CLS had a petition going around to reduce incoming transfers last year - but nothing that should deter you from applying and trying to move up.

Mary Poppins

Postby Mary Poppins » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:00 am

If an application seeks information about schools you attended, list all of the schools. On your resume, just name the school where you got a degree.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Mary Poppins wrote:If an application seeks information about schools you attended, list all of the schools. On your resume, just name the school where you got a degree.

TITCR for post-graduation.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Outside of recruiting, most transfers I know erase all traces of their affiliation with the old school (e.g. facebook, linkedin, etc.). One girl apparently de-friended most of her old classmates. :shock:

And TBF, people at my school were total dicks to the transfers during OCI.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Unemployed wrote:Outside of recruiting, most transfers I know erase all traces of their affiliation with the old school (e.g. facebook, linkedin, etc.). One girl apparently de-friended most of her old classmates. :shock:

takun errrr jerrrrrbs!!!

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:19 am

IAFG wrote:
Unemployed wrote:Outside of recruiting, most transfers I know erase all traces of their affiliation with the old school (e.g. facebook, linkedin, etc.). One girl apparently de-friended most of her old classmates. :shock:

takun errrr jerrrrrbs!!!

Lol.

I have to tell people that I am a transfer or else they just assume I was in a different section or a 3L/2L and they are in a lower or upper class.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:24 am

My school had what I felt like was a very large transfer class (only about 10-15 people total I think). While I didn't feel threatened by them with regards to jobs, there was this feeling that they were sort of invaders. I befriended a few of them, but it was still always so strange to me that they were there at all. I always felt like they had stormed the building or something and just planted themselves there. I think it might be because we have a pretty small class, so everyone knows everyone. Seeing someone new was just kinda strange I guess.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:53 am

Aqualibrium wrote:My school had what I felt like was a very large transfer class (only about 10-15 people total I think). While I didn't feel threatened by them with regards to jobs, there was this feeling that they were sort of invaders. I befriended a few of them, but it was still always so strange to me that they were there at all. I always felt like they had stormed the building or something and just planted themselves there. I think it might be because we have a pretty small class, so everyone knows everyone. Seeing someone knew was just kinda strange I guess.

What dicks.

dcpolitico

Postby dcpolitico » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:15 am

Nobody knew I was a transfer until I told them. People just thought I was a smart punk they never talked to as a 1L. Ironically, lots of students come to me for advice. And they still forget I'm a transfer, even after I tell them. Lol.
Last edited by dcpolitico on Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:23 am

booya has a particular affinity for transfer students.

Return to “Transfers”