Trasferring to UT

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
texaspecial88

Trasferring to UT

Postby texaspecial88 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Hey all,

How difficult do you think it would be to transfer from BC to UT. Top 20%? Top 10%?

thanks

vanwinkle

Re: Trasferring to UT

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:27 pm

You started out at BC, a school with some national placement but largely and widely known as an east coast regional school, in August. Just a month ago you were asking about what it would take to transfer to UCLA or USC because you wanted to be on the west coast. Now you want UT, which wouldn't be the wisest choice for either coast.

You sound like you are worrying about the wrong things right now. Worry about passing your classes and getting the highest grades possible. That's helpful to your future whether you stay put or not. But get your head out of the clouds, and stop trying to wander so much before you even have the grades to move.

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:35 pm

thanks for the lecture, and for presuming that you know anything about my reasons for wanting to transfer...

Can anyone actually answer the question? I'd very much so appreciate it

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:37 pm

There is an 80% or 90% or higher chance that this won't even matter, so I would listen to vanwinkle.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:38 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:thanks for the lecture, and for presuming that you know anything about my reasons for wanting to transfer...

Top 1% ought to do it.

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:41 pm

No one really wants to waste time answering your question since there is a 90% chance it won't matter. What is this information going to do for you anyway? Are you going to decide as a 1L, after probably taking your midterm that you going to put the in just enough effort to be top 10-15%? Just read your torts book and stop asking dumb shit.

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:42 pm

JazzOne wrote:
texaspecial88 wrote:thanks for the lecture, and for presuming that you know anything about my reasons for wanting to transfer...

Top 1% ought to do it.

LOL I obviously haven't been on this site in a while. I forgot how much people love to sit on TLS, act like jerks, and fail to provide any useful suggestions to people who are seeking advice.

gotta love tls=ers

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:42 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:No one really wants to waste time answering your question since there is a 90% chance it won't matter. What is this information going to do for you anyway? Are you going to decide as a 1L, after probably taking your midterm that you going to put the in just enough effort to be top 10-15%? Just read your torts book and stop asking dumb shit.

then don't...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Pretty sure people responded with the best possible advice you could get.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:45 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Top 1% ought to do it.

LOL I obviously haven't been on this site in a while. I forgot how much people love to sit on TLS, act like jerks, and fail to provide any useful suggestions to people who are seeking advice.

gotta love tls=ers

If you had been on this site "in a while" then you would know, DON'T GO TO A LAW SCHOOL YOU WOULDN'T BE HAPPY GRADUATING FROM.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:00 pm

It was my understanding that UT accepts very few transfer students (unlike some other peer schools). I have a classmate (T14) who ranked in the Top 20% or so that was denied admission at UT as a transfer and accepted at NYU as a transfer. He had Texas ties. I am not sure what to make of this scenario.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:57 pm

I know someone with Texas ties who got in to UT from a T25 with top third grades. This was a few years back, and probably not common though. I'd say from BU/BC if you hit top 20% youd have a good shot at the T14/UT.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:11 am

chadwick218 wrote:It was my understanding that UT accepts very few transfer students (unlike some other peer schools). I have a classmate (T14) who ranked in the Top 20% or so that was denied admission at UT as a transfer and accepted at NYU as a transfer. He had Texas ties. I am not sure what to make of this scenario.

This. UT claims to accept only those students with a compelling need to be in Austin (i.e., the landed a clerkship during the semester with the Texas Supreme Court, or their mother, who lives in Austin, was diagnosed with cancer, is being treated at Seton Hospital, and has six months to live). I know a lot of schools claim to only accept those with a compelling need to transfer, but--based on personal experience, those I know personally who (having grown up in Austin) were rejected transfer spots from stellar schools with stellar grades, and anecdotal advice--UT seems to mean it when the make that claim.

Return to “Transfers”