Slight transfer up / lateral transfer odds Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ChiefJusticeBroberts

New

Slight transfer up / lateral transfer odds

Post by ChiefJusticeBroberts » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 am

I'm a 1L at American University, looking to transfer to a school slightly up in the rankings (about 10 up). Given that we're talking T40 to T30 (instead of, say, Tier2 to T15, or T50 to HSY) I feel like this is almost a lateral transfer - what types of grades do you think I'll need?

I should note that I was originally waitlisted at the school I'm looking to transfer to, and that I've done the whole get-in-off-the-waitlist dance with them already. I was told by their Dean of Admissions that they actually did want to let me in, but I got screwed by the record number of recession-apps last year.

Thoughts?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Slight transfer up / lateral transfer odds

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:50 am

Depends upon the transfer guidelines in place at your target law school. If you are willing to share the name of your desired school, then you might get some solid advice. Some law schools require a minimum GPA while others demand class standing a within certain percentile.

ChiefJusticeBroberts

New

Post by ChiefJusticeBroberts » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:45 pm

There were actually a few -

William & Mary
Washington & Lee
UVA (I know this is slightly more of a trade up)
UNC

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:47 pm

ChiefJusticeBroberts wrote:There were actually a few -

William & Mary
Washington & Lee
UVA (I know this is slightly more of a trade up)
UNC
Just FYI, UVA takes a ridiculously small number of transfers relative to their peer schools, and almost only VA in-state residents. It's possible you're a VA resident now while attending American, but if you're not, you should realize that's an uphill climb and will require both the very best grades and some luck.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:59 pm

My guess is that the OP is talking about transferring from AU to GM?

I would say prob top 1/3 will get you into GM. Anything better than that will prob make you competitive at Emory/WUSTL/ND/UIUC/Minn level schools. GW will prob need top 20%.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”