To lateral transfer or not... Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
texaspecial88

Bronze

To lateral transfer or not...

Post by texaspecial88 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:04 am

I go to a T30 school on the East coast and am beginning to think I want to practice law on the West Coast for a variety of reasons. How difficult would it be to transfer to USC/UCLA from a T30 school? Is it even worth transferring or should I just wait and see if I can get a job on the West coast after I graduate.

thanks

Grizz

Diamond

Re: To lateral transfer or not...

Post by Grizz » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:05 am

How do you feel about dropping out and reapplying if you're 100% sure that's what you want to do?

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:14 am

That is not an option for me at this point, for one I am liking the school I am at, and would not want to go through the process again.

Also its not that I am 100% sure I want westcoast, but I am heavily leaning towards it.

Any other input?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:17 am

Depends on your class rank & the particular schools involved. Probably need to be in the top 25%, possibly top third will suffice depending upon the schools.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:19 am

What school are you at and do you have any previous connection to California? Any family there? Have you even lived there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:23 pm

No family there, but I did go to undergrad in SoCal

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:33 pm

T30 to UCLA isn't exactly a lateral, but it can be done with good grades

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:04 pm

Oban wrote:T30 to UCLA isn't exactly a lateral, but it can be done with good grades
Ya. I was talking about USC as well, and the school I am attending is only a few spots down. Just trying to ask about transferring from a t30 school to a non-t14 school...

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Shoot for top 25%. Obviously, your chances increase as your grades go up.

If you want to practice on the west coast, then transfer, no question. An east coast t30 student is going to find it VERY hard to get a job through OCI on the west coast, and probably impossible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Do you know when most schools expect transfer apps to be in by?

Badger3920

New

Post by Badger3920 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:59 pm

There really isn't any standard set of dates. All schools sort of do their own thing. Some have earlier deadlines (I dont recall if any were in June), but others are later such as mid and late July. These later schools bring their own logistical challenges (such as possibly having to move across country, at the drop of at hat, two weeks before school starts).

So, make sure to check each school's website. Really, you should probably consider UCLA and USC as target schools, with Stanford as a huge reach and Boalt as a "no one knows what the hell Boalt is going to do" reach. If you land in the top 5% of your class, I could see you at Boalt (if that interests you at all).

First, focus on your grades. Good luck

jlockhart6

Bronze

Post by jlockhart6 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:45 am

Yeah I would say if you want to work out there you should go if you have the chance. ITE the idea of "national schools" kind of dies outside of the T14. To be honest, I'm not sure it is that great even at a T14. I go to a T10 and have interviewed in secondary markets and they still are highly skeptical even with family ties to the city. So going to a feeder school for the area cannot be undervalued.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:14 am

shmoo597 wrote:Shoot for top 25%. Obviously, your chances increase as your grades go up.

If you want to practice on the west coast, then transfer, no question. An east coast t30 student is going to find it VERY hard to get a job through OCI on the west coast, and probably impossible.
Shoot for top 1% then transfer to Stanford or Boalt. Otherwise don't transfer. You lose LR and will likely get hammered at USC/UCLA OCI.

BTW, definitely not even close to impossible to get west coast through OCI from an East Coast T30. Difficult, yes. But if you have the grades to transfer then you're in the ballpark.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 am

rando wrote:
shmoo597 wrote:Shoot for top 25%. Obviously, your chances increase as your grades go up.

Shoot for top 1% then transfer to Stanford or Boalt. Otherwise don't transfer. You lose LR and will likely get hammered at USC/UCLA OCI.

BTW, definitely not even close to impossible to get west coast through OCI from an East Coast T30. Difficult, yes. But if you have the grades to transfer then you're in the ballpark.
I can definitely confirm this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”