Transferring Law Schools Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:16 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
If the school you are transfering to is ranked significantly higher, you have a shot at $.

For instance. If I'm at Brooklyn, I'm first in my class, and I get into Columbia, you better believe they'll be sending $ my way or I'm gone.

However, if I'm at Brooklyn, top 33%, and I get accepted as a transfer into Cardozo, I will be much less likely to see any $.
I don't think this is true at all. I have never ever heard of any school giving out scholarship/merit money to transfers. The only reason schools give out merit money the first time around is to get people with better numbers to attend to help their medians and rankings. Transfers do nothing for their rankings, so there is no incentive to give them scholarship/merit aid.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Do you guys think I'll be eligible for need based aid from a place like GULC? I have no income and haven't had a job... ever. I'm also completely independent financially from my parents except for my health insurance which is covered on their plan.

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:55 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
If the school you are transfering to is ranked significantly higher, you have a shot at $.

For instance. If I'm at Brooklyn, I'm first in my class, and I get into Columbia, you better believe they'll be sending $ my way or I'm gone.

However, if I'm at Brooklyn, top 33%, and I get accepted as a transfer into Cardozo, I will be much less likely to see any $.
This is wrong. The overwhelming... OVERWHELMING (99.9%) majority of transfer students receive nothing.

You're already being awarded something: A better law school. You do not count toward their numbers and you will likely have a chance to hurt the students at the school to which you are transferring (because of the GPA bump that occurs many times from 1L to 2L). The schools have little incentive to take you except you WILL pay sticker and you MAY be a good alumnus.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:11 pm

RayFinkle wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

This is wrong. The overwhelming... OVERWHELMING (99.9%) majority of transfer students receive nothing.

You're already being awarded something: A better law school. You do not count toward their numbers and you will likely have a chance to hurt the students at the school to which you are transferring (because of the GPA bump that occurs many times from 1L to 2L). The schools have little incentive to take you except you WILL pay sticker and you MAY be a good alumnus.
I think NU_Jet was referring to your current school giving you scholarship money NOT to transfer (hence the phrase, "you better believe they'll be sending $ my way or I'm gone") as opposed to the school which you will transfer to offering any scholarship money. Not saying he's right because I have no idea, but I think people are misreading what he said.

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Alright, then he is actually spot on, haha. Lower ranked schools will definitely throw things at you to keep you from transferring.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:39 pm

RayFinkle wrote:Alright, then he is actually spot on, haha. Lower ranked schools will definitely throw things at you to keep you from transferring.
Mine doesn't, apparently. I'm kinda glad because it makes my decision easy. If it did, it would make this decision so difficult.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:00 am

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:03 am

bwv812 wrote:
apper123 wrote:Do you guys think I'll be eligible for need based aid from a place like GULC? I have no income and haven't had a job... ever. I'm also completely independent financially from my parents except for my health insurance which is covered on their plan.
I believe financial aid for incoming transfers at GULC is available, but is limited to the funds freed up by outgoing transfers. Since incoming transfers vastly outweigh outgoing transfers, the funding is heavily diluted. I got this information from either admissions or financial aid when I was considering transferring last year, so you should be able to call them up and clarify if need be.

I'm pretty sure GULC requires parental information from all students, regardless of whether you're actually independent from them. This is pretty standard, and I think even the most generous schools don't consider students to be fully independent until they are of a certain age/# of years past graduation.
Even if married w/ family?

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:50 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:03 pm

bwv812 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
apper123 wrote:Do you guys think I'll be eligible for need based aid from a place like GULC? I have no income and haven't had a job... ever. I'm also completely independent financially from my parents except for my health insurance which is covered on their plan.
I believe financial aid for incoming transfers at GULC is available, but is limited to the funds freed up by outgoing transfers. Since incoming transfers vastly outweigh outgoing transfers, the funding is heavily diluted. I got this information from either admissions or financial aid when I was considering transferring last year, so you should be able to call them up and clarify if need be.

I'm pretty sure GULC requires parental information from all students, regardless of whether you're actually independent from them. This is pretty standard, and I think even the most generous schools don't consider students to be fully independent until they are of a certain age/# of years past graduation.
Even if married w/ family?
I think so, but you can call and ask.
You will need to provide parental information unless you get a waiver.

SMU10

New

Post by SMU10 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 pm

I'm a soon to be SMU grad and wanted to stay here for law school. Unfortunately I was rejected. My options are Loyola in New Orleans (3-tier) or Texas Wesleyan. Staying in the DFW area makes the most sense for me. If I stay here I would be attending Texas Wesleyan a 4-tier school. I want to try to transfer to SMU after my first year. Is it much harder to transfer from a 4-tier than a 3-tier or does it really matter?

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:25 pm

SMU10 wrote:I'm a soon to be SMU grad and wanted to stay here for law school. Unfortunately I was rejected. My options are Loyola in New Orleans (3-tier) or Texas Wesleyan. Staying in the DFW area makes the most sense for me. If I stay here I would be attending Texas Wesleyan a 4-tier school. I want to try to transfer to SMU after my first year. Is it much harder to transfer from a 4-tier than a 3-tier or does it really matter?
The hard part is going to be finishing in the top 10% or maybe top 15% after your first year. That's why it's not recommended to attend a law school you're not comfortable graduating from.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 pm

chitown825 wrote:
SMU10 wrote:I'm a soon to be SMU grad and wanted to stay here for law school. Unfortunately I was rejected. My options are Loyola in New Orleans (3-tier) or Texas Wesleyan. Staying in the DFW area makes the most sense for me. If I stay here I would be attending Texas Wesleyan a 4-tier school. I want to try to transfer to SMU after my first year. Is it much harder to transfer from a 4-tier than a 3-tier or does it really matter?
The hard part is going to be finishing in the top 10% or maybe top 15% after your first year. That's why it's not recommended to attend a law school you're not comfortable graduating from.
+1

Even if you do finish in the top 15%, you're not guaranteed a spot at SMU. Transferring should be a possibility, not a plan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:44 pm

It really depends on the school. Like I've said before, all t3 and t4 schools are not created equal. Those two schools seem to be on the weaker side of the t3 and 4 scale but they are not Cooley/Appalachian/Florida Coastal, etc. so it would be hard to say.

ejhl2007

New

Post by ejhl2007 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 am

Hi, first time user that needs some help...

what are my chances of transferring from Catholic in DC to the other local law schools (American U, George Washington, George Mason, Georgetown) after my first year?

Also, would you recommend this?

Thank you.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:21 am

ejhl2007 wrote:Hi, first time user that needs some help...

what are my chances of transferring from Catholic in DC to the other local law schools (American U, George Washington, George Mason, Georgetown) after my first year?

Thank you.

5% if you are smart.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 am

Thank you.
It is hard to say whether transferring may be recommended. If you are top 5% in Catholic, you will be a lock for transfer to all of these schools (which really should be just GW). With top 10-15% you should a competitive transfer candidate. However, you should remember that after transfer you will be a nobody at your new school and will be at a gross disadvantage for recruiting. If you are top 5% at Catholic and expect to maintain that rank, a case may be made for staying.

Legal recruiting has dual priviledge focus - school and class rank. Despite a wide gap in school rankings, top 5% at Catholic may very well dominate below median at GW....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:57 pm

APHill wrote:

Thank you.
It is hard to say whether transferring may be recommended. If you are top 5% in Catholic, you will be a lock for transfer to all of these schools (which really should be just GW). With top 10-15% you should a competitive transfer candidate. However, you should remember that after transfer you will be a nobody at your new school and will be at a gross disadvantage for recruiting. If you are top 5% at Catholic and expect to maintain that rank, a case may be made for staying.

Legal recruiting has dual priviledge focus - school and class rank. Despite a wide gap in school rankings, top 5% at Catholic may very well dominate below median at GW....
^^^^^^^^somebody that should not be giving transfer advice.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:02 pm

A'nold wrote:
APHill wrote:

Thank you.

What? Being top 5% at Catholic>>>>>>median at GULC or GW - as long as you know you want to work in DC.

Transfers are presumably treated as median candidates and median at GULC/GW = no offered.

Top 5% at Catholic would get "Big Law" if that is what the student wanted.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
APHill wrote:

Thank you.

What? Being top 5% at Catholic>>>>>>median at GULC or GW - as long as you know you want to work in DC.

Transfers are presumably treated as median candidates and median at GULC/GW = no offered.

1. Catholic top 5% is neither a "lock" for GULC nor biglaw.
2. I don't know what you mean by this: "which really should be just GW." Are you trying to say that GW would be better for OP than GULC or something?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:53 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
APHill wrote:

Thank you.

Do you think the firms interviewing at GULC and Catholic will be markedly different? You know, other than the fact that there will be more firms at GULC.

Do you think they will assign someone top 5 % at Catholic a LOWER value having been a transfer to GULC than they would if the person was going to stay at Catholic? Do you think they will treat them any different? If so, I can find no logical reason why.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:48 pm

I meant GW or GULC - transferring from Catholic to American or GM will be a waste of time, as the prestige of your degree and employment opportunities will not increase substantially.

If you are looking to get into T14 I would spread transfer applications, unless you are locked for DC.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:56 pm

A'nold wrote:1. Catholic top 5% is neither a "lock" for GULC nor biglaw.
Cosigned; top 5% at may T1s isn't a lock for big law ITE.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:11 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Top 5% at T14 may also strike out at OCI, technically speaking no law student has a 100% probability of getting biglaw, but the anecdotal word on the street is that biglaw is focused on above median at T14, top 25% at T20-30 and top 5 to top 10% everywhere else. There is a bunch of Harvard grads with bad grades (low passes, excuse me) who cannot find jobs, but summa cum laudes among law school grads are always hard to find...
If it was me I would opt for top 5%, Summa Cum Laude, Order of Coif at T1 versus bottom 30% at T14.

ITE may not be relevant either, as Q1 2010 F500 profits increased 76% in comparison to prior year...."ITE" will be quickly forgotten as somebody invents a new bubble.

I just think top 5% at Catholic will stand out a little bit more than e.g. top 60% and GW and probably even GULC (due to a large class size).

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:14 pm

APHill wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
Top 5% at T14 may also strike out at OCI, technically speaking no law student has a 100% probability of getting biglaw, but the anecdotal word on the street is that biglaw is focused on above median at T14, top 25% at T20-30 and top 5 to top 10% everywhere else. There is a bunch of Harvard grads with bad grades (low passes, excuse me) who cannot find jobs, but summa cum laudes among law school grads are always hard to find...
If it was me I would opt for top 5%, Summa Cum Laude, Order of Coif at T1 versus bottom 30% at T14.

ITE may not be relevant either, as Q1 2010 F500 profits increased 76% in comparison to prior year...."ITE" will be quickly forgotten as somebody invents a new bubble.

I just think top 5% at Catholic will stand out a little bit more than e.g. top 60% and GW and probably even GULC (due to a large class size).
That is not usually how it works though. You could be a top 5% student at Cooley and transfer to GW and be a top 5% student, and, according to the data compiled on transferapps and on here, it seems actually more likely than not that a transfer will continue to slay the median.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”