Transferring Law Schools

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:51 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:As a note: The early decision transfer is binding at Chicago; however, they reserve the right to revoke an offer if you don't maintain "consistent performance". I don't think anyone got nailed with that, this year (and this was the first year Chicago did ED for transfers,) but it was still incredibly stressful.

What that means: You'll have to withdraw from GULC EA before you have a 100% certainty of UChicago. You'll have to pay the first deposit on the EA seat, though; it is due before Chicago gets decisions out.

Honestly, Chicago ED isn't a good choice for *most* people, because people who can get in to Chicago via ED probably have at least a chance at Harvard. I am happy that I did it, but I am really bound to the Midwest--while I would have gone to Harvard if I had gotten in, I was always going to end up back in Chicago. The Chicago ED gave me more planning time, and made my life enjoyable for the summer, though I walked away from a good shot at Harvard in the process.

The extra planning time allowed me to 1.) Not bother with my original school's LR write-on; 2.) Devote significant time to Chicago's LR write-on (which you have to do with the everyone else.) If not for the ED Chicago admit, I would have had to do at least four LR write-ons this summer (Wisconsin (I hadn't made up my mind re: whether transferring to GULC was worth it,) GULC, Harvard, Chicago.)

If you have any questions about the process, feel free to ask.


Personally, I would opt against ED at Chicago. Just the mere fact that the ED is binding on you and NOT on UChi is a good reason right there since you have a good chance at HYS if you do well your 2nd semester and if you don't UChi will yank their acceptance anyways. The other big factor is that you end up with a lot nicer of a safety net by transferring to HYS, as oppose to UChi, in the event that the economy stays shitty because at HY (not sure what Stanford does-- but I think it's similar to HY) you have LRAP to fall back on even if your strike out at OCI. E.g. Yale LRAP covers 100% of your tuition costs if you can't find a job that pays over $60K, and you only make something like a 25% contribution for anything above that. Harvard has something similar (I think they call it is the Loan repayment protection plan). Both LRAP programs cover not only PI, but also private firm work (actually Yale might even cover non-legal work-- I know some school does). Chicago, on the other hand, you are pretty much boned if you strike out at OCI as a transfer because UChi's LRAP covers a whole $10K /year w/ some kind of a cap and only cover PI work (which is becoming harder to find). Also, UChi is located in the hyde park, and IMO a pretty crappy school to be at for your last couple years because 1) the location sucks, 2) a lot of the people that go there are fucking weird (but obviously that's my personal take on it and people are going to disagree with that).

upgrade
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby upgrade » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:09 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Personally, I would opt against ED at Chicago. Just the mere fact that the ED is binding on you and NOT on UChi is a good reason right there since you have a good chance at HYS if you do well your 2nd semester and if you don't UChi will yank their acceptance anyways.


If one's first semester is stellar and second semester is decent, but not top of the class, UC ED acceptance probably won't be revoked. If you apply ED and are deferred until second semester grades are released, I think you are in a better spot than someone who did not apply ED. I was deferred on ED then accepted RD where a classmate who was ranked higher than me only applied RD and was rejected.

I came from a T2 school, which may color my impression a bit. If at a top thirty school, it may be worth it to hold out for HYS. I say this because you likely have solid job options already, which doesn't seem to be the case for T2 kids at the top of their class, this year.

Did you end up transferring Spyke?

funkyfood1
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:23 am

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby funkyfood1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm at 1L at American and, for various reasons, would really like to be in Boston next year. What percentile of my class would I roughly need to be in to have a good chance at transferring to BU (20, my father also went to BU law if it's worth anything) or BC (27)? I know these types of questions are asked too often, but I'd really appreciate a response. Thanks

User avatar
kings84_wr
Posts: 896
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby kings84_wr » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:00 pm

funkyfood1 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm at 1L at American and, for various reasons, would really like to be in Boston next year. What percentile of my class would I roughly need to be in to have a good chance at transferring to BU (20, my father also went to BU law if it's worth anything) or BC (27)? I know these types of questions are asked too often, but I'd really appreciate a response. Thanks



check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps there is a database that can give you a general idea.

Pats1254
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby Pats1254 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Ken or anybody else who could offer advice,

I am currently a 1L at Catholic University's Columbus School of Law and wish to transfer to Suffolk in Boston, MA. I know CUA is higher rated than Suffolk but I really do not like living in D.C., would like to work in New England after graduation, and would prefer to finish my J.D. in closer proximity to friends and family in Boston. Unfortunately, my GPA after 1st semester exams stands at only 2.5. I was accepted to Suffolk out of undergraduate with a 3.5 UGPA and a 157 LSAT but chose to go to Catholic instead. What are the chances that Suffolk accepts me as a transfer student for the Fall of 2010? What GPA/class percentile would I realistically need to be accepted?

smsooner
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby smsooner » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:51 pm

I am a 1L at a top 20 school and my school is completely not a good match for me. I really want to transfer, and the only transfer talk I have seen is transferring from a lower ranked school to a higher ranked school. I have no desire to work in a big firm and want to transfer back to where I am from and the school that I would like to transfer to is ranked in the 70s. I hear that you have to have top grades to transfer, but I was wondering if anyone knew about transferring from a higher ranked school to a lower one? I recently got my first semester grades back and I'm about in the middle of my class. Should I worry as much as I am? Any thoughts would help because I am worrying about my ability to transfer. Thanks!

User avatar
throughthewetgrass
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby throughthewetgrass » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:00 pm

What are the chances of transfer to a school with the same ranking (in the 20s) when you're just above the curve?

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 pm

smsooner wrote:I am a 1L at a top 20 school and my school is completely not a good match for me. I really want to transfer, and the only transfer talk I have seen is transferring from a lower ranked school to a higher ranked school. I have no desire to work in a big firm and want to transfer back to where I am from and the school that I would like to transfer to is ranked in the 70s. I hear that you have to have top grades to transfer, but I was wondering if anyone knew about transferring from a higher ranked school to a lower one? I recently got my first semester grades back and I'm about in the middle of my class. Should I worry as much as I am? Any thoughts would help because I am worrying about my ability to transfer. Thanks!


You're probably in. However, you will very likely be paying sticker at the new school if you choose to transfer (merit scholarships are really rare for transfers) so it would very likely be a bad decision to transfer down to a t2 (unless you are already paying sticker at that t20 and the school you want to transfer to is regionally strong and substantially cheaper -- and even then I would be hesitant to transfer down).

underwhere759
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby underwhere759 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:25 pm

I definitely want to practice in DC and possibly in biglaw. If I am currently at a school ranked in the 25-30 range, what percentile would I have to be in to transfer up to Georgetown?

Is this even a possibility?

I did fairly well the first semester and would like to consider transferring if I can do well this semester. If you need more specific info to answer my question I can definitely provide it, just dont want to give away too much since I know people from my school are on here....

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:08 pm

underwhere759 wrote:I definitely want to practice in DC and possibly in biglaw. If I am currently at a school ranked in the 25-30 range, what percentile would I have to be in to transfer up to Georgetown?

Is this even a possibility?

I did fairly well the first semester and would like to consider transferring if I can do well this semester. If you need more specific info to answer my question I can definitely provide it, just dont want to give away too much since I know people from my school are on here....


People get in to Georgetown from lower-ranked schools all the time. Top 10-15% should give you a reasonable chance, closer to 10% the better. The thing is, if you get top 10% from a 25-30 school, you'll be able to transfer somewhere better than GULC.

Go ahead and do GULC ED, and work your ass off this semester to give yourself a chance at HCCN

underwhere759
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby underwhere759 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Im top 25% now. I figured if I work hard enough I can definitely improve enough to transfer up somewhere. Preferaby Gtown.
But I am open to other suggestions too.

How soon do I apply to Gtown ED? Do I start the process now or wait to see how I do this semester ?

I have a great job lined up for the summer will that help me at all?

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 pm

25% probably isn't going to get you in to GULC ED.

Your summer employment is essentially irrelevant to the transfer process.

underwhere759
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:48 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby underwhere759 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:59 pm

haha yeah 25% isnt good enough. I was just trying to get a good idea of a reasonable goal to shoot for. 25% is a good starting point for me to work my butt of this semester and move up a little bit.
Thats why I was wondering about when to start the process. I am assuming people only apply ED if they are already significantly better off than me.

Hopefully I can keep up the good work and get into the top 10-15% and then apply around this summer. At the very least it is a good goal to keep in mind on those nights when studying doesn't seem like fun.

muckmuck
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby muckmuck » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm top 7% at a top 30 school after my first semester. Wondering what my chances are for transferring to Columbia, NYU, Harvard, or Stanford if I finish the year like I started? Also, whats the feasibility of the ED options at UChicago and GULC?

Thanks

User avatar
Attucks
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby Attucks » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 pm

How rare are merit scholarships at the new school? I haven't been able to find much info at all on this.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:26 pm

Attucks wrote:How rare are merit scholarships at the new school? I haven't been able to find much info at all on this.

From what little I've read, extremely rare. The merit you get is the privilege of attending their much more prestigious school.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby A'nold » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Attucks wrote:How rare are merit scholarships at the new school? I haven't been able to find much info at all on this.



I've never seen a transfer school that's gives out "merit" scholarships but some do need based aid.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 am

Attucks wrote:How rare are merit scholarships at the new school? I haven't been able to find much info at all on this.


No schools give merit aid to transfers as such.

Some schools offer departmental scholarships to people in the 3L year based on class rank and such, and don't exclude transfers from consideration.

Some schools (the only examples that come to mind are YHS) do offer need-based aid to transfers.

For the most part though, you're going to be paying full tuition unless you get in at H and have poor parents.

Rayjay
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby Rayjay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:39 pm

So I did not get into the school that I wanted to go to and I am having a hard time deciding where I should go next year.

My plan is to do really well and transfer to Penn, Columbia, or some equally esteemed school.

Am I better off taking a full ride at Villanova, 10/yr at BU, or 15k from GW? Obviously if I had some way of knowing that I would be successful in transferring regardless of where I came from I would pick Villanova and save a ton of money. However, would I be giving myself a much better chance at admissions if I pick BU or GW for my first year?

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby stinger35 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Rayjay wrote:So I did not get into the school that I wanted to go to and I am having a hard time deciding where I should go next year.

My plan is to do really well and transfer to Penn, Columbia, or some equally esteemed school.

Am I better off taking a full ride at Villanova, 10/yr at BU, or 15k from GW? Obviously if I had some way of knowing that I would be successful in transferring regardless of where I came from I would pick Villanova and save a ton of money. However, would I be giving myself a much better chance at admissions if I pick BU or GW for my first year?


WOW. That plan is absolutely genius. Since you are the only one with that plan, you should do great! Oh wait....

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Given that transferring up to a school does not yield a merit scholarship - is it possible to use transfer acceptances as bargaining chips with your current school. i.e. is it likely for a current school to offer a counteroffer-esk scholarship increase if you get in to some better ranked schools?

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:28 pm

stinger35 wrote:
Rayjay wrote:So I did not get into the school that I wanted to go to and I am having a hard time deciding where I should go next year.

My plan is to do really well and transfer to Penn, Columbia, or some equally esteemed school.

Am I better off taking a full ride at Villanova, 10/yr at BU, or 15k from GW? Obviously if I had some way of knowing that I would be successful in transferring regardless of where I came from I would pick Villanova and save a ton of money. However, would I be giving myself a much better chance at admissions if I pick BU or GW for my first year?


WOW. That plan is absolutely genius. Since you are the only one with that plan, you should do great! Oh wait....


Please pick Nova!!! Withdraw from BU/GW ASAP!!! kthx :)

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:31 pm

arhmcpo wrote:Given that transferring up to a school does not yield a merit scholarship - is it possible to use transfer acceptances as bargaining chips with your current school. i.e. is it likely for a current school to offer a counteroffer-esk scholarship increase if you get in to some better ranked schools?


If the school you are transfering to is ranked significantly higher, you have a shot at $.

For instance. If I'm at Brooklyn, I'm first in my class, and I get into Columbia, you better believe they'll be sending $ my way or I'm gone.

However, if I'm at Brooklyn, top 33%, and I get accepted as a transfer into Cardozo, I will be much less likely to see any $.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby existenz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:56 pm

Rayjay wrote:So I did not get into the school that I wanted to go to and I am having a hard time deciding where I should go next year.

My plan is to do really well and transfer to Penn, Columbia, or some equally esteemed school.

Am I better off taking a full ride at Villanova, 10/yr at BU, or 15k from GW? Obviously if I had some way of knowing that I would be successful in transferring regardless of where I came from I would pick Villanova and save a ton of money. However, would I be giving myself a much better chance at admissions if I pick BU or GW for my first year?

Don't bank on being in the top 5% of your class. If the worst case scenario happens and your grades are median, where would you rather graduate from? BU or GW look like your best choices depending on where you plan to practice.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Postby A'nold » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:05 pm

GW or BU give you better job prospects AND a much easier chance at transferring into the top 14. Win win here.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.