Transferring Law Schools Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Vronsky

Silver

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Post by Vronsky » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:19 pm

didn't get much response in the thread i started... sorry, probably should've posted in here to begin with. from the other thread:

I go to a T2 greater new york city area school. Curious about my chances to transfer, but my school does not release class rank info till after the second semester. my GPA after 1 semester is 3.82; grades were two A+s, A, A- and B+. (An A+ is still 4.0 for GPA purposes). I'm roughly estimating this is between top 5-10%. my school has a curve of 10% A and 15% A- with a median between 3.3 and 3.0. Any better guesses? Does anyone else have a GPA roughly 3.8 with a similar curve? If so what is your class rank?

Assuming I can maintain or slightly improve GPA in the second semester, what are my chances at Columbia, NYU, Georgetown and Fordham? I'm really curious about Georgetown's early admission but feel a little in the dark since I don't know my class rank.

Was asked via PM: What do I want to do?

I would like to keep options of Big Law, Clerkships, and Academia open. So far I've enjoyed most of the subjects I've studied, and haven't been able to pin down a particular area I like more than others. So I can't really say "I want to work in X." So partly I'm motivated by better employment prospects, but another major reason is that I just want to see how I compare against better competition.

Some of the professors at my school have encouraged those with high aspirations to transfer. One prof admitted that even with good grades and a good LOR, a grad from my school wouldn't have a chance at the jobs he held previously. The one reservation I have is with my scholarship. Currently I have half-tuition, but it seems easy enough to leverage a GULC acceptance into a full ride at my current school. Even assuming that, I'm not very tempted to stay. Supposedly only 9% of graduates from my current school get a job with a decent size firm.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Prospect2012

New

Post by Prospect2012 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:37 am

This is a tough topic and everyones answer is going to vary. I found some great articles with testimonials from law school students who have transferred in the past. Check them, they're helpful. Testimonials on SPAM: http://www.SPAM.com/

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:40 am

Prospect2012 wrote:This is a tough topic and everyones answer is going to vary. I found some great articles with testimonials from law school students who have transferred in the past. Check them, they're helpful. Testimonials on SPAM: http://www.SPAM.com/
Banned for spamming.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 pm

What schools make it difficult to transfer? I have heard stories about schools releasing grades very late in order to make students inelligble for admission to other law schools, and other shady stuff...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 pm

jarofsoup wrote:What schools make it difficult to transfer? I have heard stories about schools releasing grades very late in order to make students inelligble for admission to other law schools, and other shady stuff...
The only schools that I've heard do this intentionally and stonewall where they can are the T3/T4 types that don't want to lose their best students to far better schools.

However, even up at the T14 you have schools that release grades late enough to interfere with the transfer process. I don't think it's intentional or for that reason, but it still happens and it still causes problems for people who are trying to transfer.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Omerta

Bronze

Post by Omerta » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:00 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
macunaima wrote:Any thoughts on transferring from Texas to Harvard after the first year? What kind of class rank would I need to make it realistic?
You would need to be in the top 10% for it to even be worth an app fee. Truly stellar softs can help from there, but grades/rank matter immensely and many transfers were either first in their class or very close to it.
I looked at the transfer database spreadsheet and I'm still unsure of what grades would make a transfer app from Emory to Harvard/Stanford worthwhile. After one semester, I'm #3-7 in my class. Any thoughts? Is it even worth applying to Yale if I'm not #1?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Omerta wrote:I looked at the transfer database spreadsheet and I'm still unsure of what grades would make a transfer app from Emory to Harvard/Stanford worthwhile. After one semester, I'm #3-7 in my class. Any thoughts? Is it even worth applying to Yale if I'm not #1?
That's got to be top 1% regardless of class size. I think apps to all of HYS are worth the app fee. There are no guarantees, but you are in a very strong position right now with those grades.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 am

vanwinkle wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:What schools make it difficult to transfer? I have heard stories about schools releasing grades very late in order to make students inelligble for admission to other law schools, and other shady stuff...
The only schools that I've heard do this intentionally and stonewall where they can are the T3/T4 types that don't want to lose their best students to far better schools.

However, even up at the T14 you have schools that release grades late enough to interfere with the transfer process. I don't think it's intentional or for that reason, but it still happens and it still causes problems for people who are trying to transfer.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
I was thinking about this a few days ago.

Will schools accept a transcript without end of year rank calculated? My grades came out over a month ago and the mid-year ranks are still not yet calculated. Assuming same turn-around time for the end of the year, this means grades will be out before transfer deadlines but ranks won't.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:01 am

i think that at my school spring rank isn't released until september...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

batty31418

New

Post by batty31418 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:37 am

Hey---I've never actually posted before on this website but I've been very curious about transfers of late.

I'm probably going to be attending Washington and Lee this fall--based on all the other schools i'm in--and I'm from a place that's nothing like Lexington, Va. How difficult would it be to transfer after a year (if I really hate it in that little nowhere town) to a BC or BU or Fordham?

I am having trouble imagining living in that little place--just thinking about it makes me a bit claustrophobic, ya know? I just need some reassurance that there is a way out if I work hard enough. What do y'all think?

BTW have a 3.7 and 163

thanks

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:40 am

batty31418 wrote:Hey---I've never actually posted before on this website but I've been very curious about transfers of late.

I'm probably going to be attending Washington and Lee this fall--based on all the other schools i'm in--and I'm from a place that's nothing like Lexington, Va. How difficult would it be to transfer after a year (if I really hate it in that little nowhere town) to a BC or BU or Fordham?

I am having trouble imagining living in that little place--just thinking about it makes me a bit claustrophobic, ya know? I just need some reassurance that there is a way out if I work hard enough. What do y'all think?

BTW have a 3.7 and 163

thanks
Why are you going to W&L this year?

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:01 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
batty31418 wrote:Hey---I've never actually posted before on this website but I've been very curious about transfers of late.

BTW have a 3.7 and 163

thanks
Why are you going to W&L this year?
Why are there 0L's in this thread?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:31 pm

BTW have a 3.7 and 163

thanks
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=124519

That already said, planning on transferring makes even less sense in your position. W&L, Fordham, and BU are all in that T25-T30 range and, putting certain differences aside, give you fairly similar overall options when you graduate. They're close enough that you should be choosing based on geographic concerns, especially since they're all regional schools and you should be attending the one in the market you most want to work.

You don't gain anything, in terms of improved employment chances, by transferring from one to the other. Transferring is difficult and involves real sacrifices, and you leave behind a lot (professors you may have impressed, any student orgs you got involved in, etc.) and have to start over.

Plus, employers will ask why you transferred. They always ask. Even at HYS they ask why you transferred up. In those cases it's fairly easy, you can explain what transferring up means for your job prospects and chances at clerking and etc. But you won't have that. In fact, I don't think you have anything you could tell them that would be acceptable. If you tell them the truth, you went to a place you didn't like and then transferred to get out, it's going to make you look indecisive and flighty. Any chances at employment would probably die right there.

Oh, and Fordham shuts transfers out of OCI. Transfers can't participate in the first week of OCI there, which as I understand it is the one most of the big law firms attend. If you want NYC BigLaw, planning on transferring to Fordham is one of the worst things you could do.

Basically, planning on transferring is always a bad idea, but in your case it's especially and remarkably stupid. If you want to "work hard enough" and have it pay off in better school placement, then study the LSAT and retake. That's the only way to really improve your odds of attending a school you actually want to attend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

batty31418

New

Post by batty31418 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Good stuff, thanks
makes sense I guess

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:21 pm

zomginternets wrote:Will schools accept a transcript without end of year rank calculated? My grades came out over a month ago and the mid-year ranks are still not yet calculated. Assuming same turn-around time for the end of the year, this means grades will be out before transfer deadlines but ranks won't.
I missed this question earlier.

The school your applying to doesn't NEED your class rank. My school didn't even publish rank at all, so I had to apply without it and let my grades speak for themselves. If it's a typical move (that is, people have transferred from your current school to your target schools before) then they're familiar with your school's grading curve anyway.

Typically, people who are successful at upward transfers have grades that are obviously good no matter what exact rank you are. Rank is just one way of communicating how well, you did, but you can certainly transfer without it.

ak87

New

Post by ak87 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:51 pm

I currently go to a 23rd ranked law school and got a 3.9 my first 1L semester. I'm in the top 5% of my class and am definitely thinking about transferring (assuming I do about as well second semester). I wanted to know thoughts on what schools I have a really good chance at transferring into, and what schools are a stretch. Im thinking about UCLA, Berkeley, HYSCCN, GULC....i don't know what schools I will end up applying to. I'm gonna try and apply to a good amount to cover my grounds just to be safe. I would like to end up working in big law in Los Angeles or Orange County. Money for tuition or applying is not an issue. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

j7108

New

Post by j7108 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:21 pm

ak87 wrote:I currently go to a 23rd ranked law school and got a 3.9 my first 1L semester. I'm in the top 5% of my class and am definitely thinking about transferring (assuming I do about as well second semester). I wanted to know thoughts on what schools I have a really good chance at transferring into, and what schools are a stretch. Im thinking about UCLA, Berkeley, HYSCCN, GULC....i don't know what schools I will end up applying to. I'm gonna try and apply to a good amount to cover my grounds just to be safe. I would like to end up working in big law in Los Angeles or Orange County. Money for tuition or applying is not an issue. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or opinions.

Since you're at such a high ranked school already with a very high GPA, I wouldn't advise transferring to anywhere outside of the T10. Unless you make it into one of those schools, you probably won't get any more bang for your buck than where you are now. Additionally, you will likely fair extremely well during your school's OCI, which you likely won't if you transfer, unless you crack the T10. However, with your GPA, you probably got a good shot at HYS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

greg737

New

Post by greg737 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:57 pm

I know students at non-ABA accredited schools have certain restrictions. Is one of them transferring to an ABA-accredited school?

How about schools with provisional status (ala how UC Irvine should be next year). Would you be eligible to transfer from that school to ABA accredited schools?

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:03 am

greg737 wrote:I know students at non-ABA accredited schools have certain restrictions. Is one of them transferring to an ABA-accredited school?

How about schools with provisional status (ala how UC Irvine should be next year). Would you be eligible to transfer from that school to ABA accredited schools?
Generally, you can transfer from any ABA or provisionally-ABA school to an ABA school. You cannot transfer from state accredited schools to ABA schools. Some ABA schools only accept students from AALS schools (association of americal law schools or something along those lines).

Basically, ABA does not let ABA schools accept transfer credits from non-ABA schools. So unless you go to an ABA or provisionally-ABA school, you cannot transfer to an ABA school. However, unless your school is also an AALS school, a few schools might not allow you to transfer.

1LLaw

New

Post by 1LLaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi Guys first time user here,

I've been creeping this forum for some time now looking for bits and pieces of information regarding law schools. however, i just wanted to ask a couple questions as i think my case is rather unique.

For first 2 years of undergrad i did not do well due to my medical condition (2.5GPA). Then by the end of my 2nd undergrad year i went through a life changing event, and since then i've been consistently getting a 3.8 GPA for my last two undergrad years. I have now graduated.

The only time i took my LSAT i got 144...once again due to my condition.

Only school i have gotten accepted to is Cooley (on a part-time basis as well) thus far. Im still waiting to hear back from University of Houston (Part-time), and all other universities (rutgers, seton hall, OKCU) have already rejected me.

I guess life is very unforgiving, so I would appreciate any and all honest advice on what i should do. I strongly believe that if i go to Cooley i will be top 1%-5%. But then again i will be there as a part time student so it is a disadvantage. Im aiming for only one T1 school, GULC, to transfer to since it seems to accept the most amount, and will be apply to several high T2 schools.

Would you guys recommend i go through with this plan?? I know the risks are high specially if i go to Cooley, but this lack of options has really cornered me, and perhaps is best for me for ill put my 100% into transferring.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:13 pm

1LLaw wrote:Hi Guys first time user here,

I've been creeping this forum for some time now looking for bits and pieces of information regarding law schools. however, i just wanted to ask a couple questions as i think my case is rather unique.

For first 2 years of undergrad i did not do well due to my medical condition (2.5GPA). Then by the end of my 2nd undergrad year i went through a life changing event, and since then i've been consistently getting a 3.8 GPA for my last two undergrad years. I have now graduated.

Only school i have gotten accepted to is Cooley (on a part-time basis as well) thus far. Im still waiting to hear back from University of Houston (Part-time), and all other universities (rutgers, seton hall, OKCU) have already rejected me.

I guess life is very unforgiving, so I would appreciate any and all honest advice on what i should do. I strongly believe that if i go to Cooley i will be top 1%-5%. But then again i will be there as a part time student so it is a disadvantage. Im aiming for only one T1 school, GULC, to transfer to since it seems to accept the most amount, and will be apply to several high T2 schools.

Would you guys recommend i go through with this plan?? I know the risks are high specially if i go to Cooley, but this lack of options has really cornered me, and perhaps is best for me for ill put my 100% into transferring.

Cheers.
I would think that if you've been checking out these forums for a while, you would have found exactly what you're looking for here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:16 pm

1LLaw wrote:Hi Guys first time user here,

Cheers.

You're not getting into GULC coming from a PT program at Cooley. You might get lucky if you're number one, but you'd be an idiot to plan your future based on that possibility. Retake the LSAT and get into a decent TTT or a lower TT program.

1LLaw

New

Post by 1LLaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:18 pm

^Yup already read up on that thread.

I know almost everyone here says dont go to a school knowing full well you intend to transfer. However, for now i have a lack of options on what to do.

Going back to school getting a Masters might not be the best investment. Going to Cooley would give me a clean slate and show what im capable of, im kinda banking on that. And taking a year off.....im not sure if thats really an option but rather me prolonging not getting into a decent law school

1LLaw

New

Post by 1LLaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:21 pm

^Well GULC is the only far reach school ill apply to ...im looking for more the top 35-55

And on top of that, i will be applying part time everywhere i aim to transfer as im unable physically to undertake full time studies.

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:08 am

Hey all,

I've posted on this forum before, but now that more people are in the transfer mindset, I was hoping to see what people think. I'm at a school ranked in the 50s with a 3.6 (A, A, A-, A-, B+, B - 2 CALIs) and a lot of good softs with school competitions etc. (although I hear they really don't matter). That GPA should put me in top 5-15% but hard to tell. I'm paying next to nothing at my current school, but am absolutely miserable. I really want to be in DC/NY and can't see myself being at my current school for another 2 years.

Any thoughts? Do I need straight As this semester to pull anything off?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”