Transferring Law Schools Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ms2010

Bronze

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Post by ms2010 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:30 am

ms2010 wrote:Hey all,

I've posted on this forum before, but now that more people are in the transfer mindset, I was hoping to see what people think. I'm at a school ranked in the 50s with a 3.6 (A, A, A-, A-, B+, B - 2 CALIs) and a lot of good softs with school competitions etc. (although I hear they really don't matter). That GPA should put me in top 5-15% but hard to tell. I'm paying next to nothing at my current school, but am absolutely miserable. I really want to be in DC/NY and can't see myself being at my current school for another 2 years.

Any thoughts? Do I need straight As this semester to pull anything off?
The last grade is a B by the way... not B-

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun May 01, 2011 4:51 pm

I mean, if you're in the top 5%, you have a shot at Columbia/NYU, if you're at 15%, you may have a pretty far outside chance at GULC, so, the range you've given makes it impossible to give you a sense.

In the end, though, as you have msised the early application deadlines, thinking about exactly what grades you need to get is pointless: you should just focus on getting the best grades possible and see what happens. But yes, it would be worth it to get people to commit to writing a letter, etc.

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:21 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I mean, if you're in the top 5%, you have a shot at Columbia/NYU, if you're at 15%, you may have a pretty far outside chance at GULC, so, the range you've given makes it impossible to give you a sense.

In the end, though, as you have msised the early application deadlines, thinking about exactly what grades you need to get is pointless: you should just focus on getting the best grades possible and see what happens. But yes, it would be worth it to get people to commit to writing a letter, etc.
I got deferred GULC EA

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Tue May 03, 2011 4:40 pm

This is going to sound silly but do URMs get any kind of boost with transfers?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:01 pm

not silly and no they do not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smiley

Bronze

Post by smiley » Wed May 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a question too. If someone else in your class with better grades than you (#1 as compared to top 5%) is applying to HYS, are you automatically not getting in? It felt like that was the case applying to undergrads, and I was wondering if this was also the case for transferring. I have normal softs, but nothing that would overcome the amazingness of the other person's first semester grades. Also, currently at a T20. Thanks :)

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed May 04, 2011 1:39 pm

maf70 wrote:not silly and no they do not.
Unless you work in admissions or know someone that does, this would be impossible for you to know. The sample sizes are far too small and schools are far less transparent about the transfer process.

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Of course no one can know for sure what each and every admissions committee does...but it seems that the general idea on TLS is that being a URM just doesn't give you the boost that it does during your 0L app cycle.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed May 04, 2011 2:29 pm

dakatz wrote:
maf70 wrote:not silly and no they do not.
Unless you work in admissions or know someone that does, this would be impossible for you to know. The sample sizes are far too small and schools are far less transparent about the transfer process.
I honestly have very little direct knowledge on this myself. However, based on what I have heard and seen, I think it doesn't provide a significant boost.

I imagine the reasoning is this: Supposedly the LSAT isn't as strong an indicator of URM performance in law schools because on average they perform so much lower. However, when you're looking at transfers, you're not trying to predict performance anymore because you have actual grades to look at and know how well they perform.

It strikes me as something that does certainly help if you have the necessary grades, it'll make a way for you to stand out, but I don't think they'll reach down into substantially lower-performing tiers of students to admit URMs. This is mostly speculation, but it matches what I do know.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mistercooper2011

New

Post by mistercooper2011 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:19 pm

This is a really helpful thread. Does anyone have suggestions on how I could confirm — before admissions — whether my credits will transfer? college will count when I get to my next school? I’ve looked at URL DELETED and a few other sites for this information, but it’s hard to find.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu May 19, 2011 2:21 pm

mistercooper2011 wrote:This is a really helpful thread. Does anyone have suggestions on how I could confirm — before admissions — whether my credits will transfer? college will count when I get to my next school? I’ve looked at URL DELETED and a few other sites for this information, but it’s hard to find.
You looked at a site that says "coming soon, follow us on Twitter and Facebook"?

ak87

New

Post by ak87 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:43 pm

I currently attend a 23rd ranked school. I have all of my grades in from my 1L year except for my spring legal research/writing grade. I have a 3.94 and am in the top 5% of my class - unsure about what number rank I am as my school does not give out individual rankings like that. I applied for transfer to Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, NYU, Columbia, UChicago. Our grades are not going to be released possibly until early next week so I won't be able to send schools an official transcript until that time. I've read on other forums that many students have already gone complete and are having their applications reviewed already. In the meantime I've sent all the grades I have now in an unofficial transcript. I wanted to know people's thoughts on what schools I would get into and how much, if at all, my grades taking so long to come out will affect my chances at admission. Thanks for the input

jorgepesok

New

Post by jorgepesok » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Last edited by jorgepesok on Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:07 pm

I need some feedback. I am a 0L accepted into a T2 in cali part time. The school I want to transfer to is Hastings or UC LA....I do not believe Cal or Davis accept part timers. I am well versed in the TSL mantra in regards to transferring(ie dont plan on it) but I think it is good to go into 1L with some goals and some hope for motivation.

They told me the following:

You have to have 1L complete before you start 2L. Meaning that you can transfer from a part time program if you take summer course work.

So would it be better to appeal part time discion and try to get into full time program or focus on part time course work exclusively and take advantage of a reduce course load(3 classes per semester+2 summer courses)?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:48 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I need some feedback. I am a 0L accepted into a T2 in cali part time. The school I want to transfer to is Hastings or UC LA.
Stopped reading there

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:53 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I need some feedback. I am a 0L accepted into a T2 in cali part time. The school I want to transfer to is Hastings or UC LA....I do not believe Cal or Davis accept part timers. I am well versed in the TSL mantra in regards to transferring(ie dont plan on it) but I think it is good to go into 1L with some goals and some hope for motivation.

They told me the following:

You have to have 1L complete before you start 2L. Meaning that you can transfer from a part time program if you take summer course work.

So would it be better to appeal part time discion and try to get into full time program or focus on part time course work exclusively and take advantage of a reduce course load(3 classes per semester+2 summer courses)?
:lol:

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Never read the rules of this forum. Apologize for that I guess I will post in 9 months or so...
Last edited by jarofsoup on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Last edited by jarofsoup on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pirveli

New

Post by Pirveli » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:47 am

I was wondering if you can transfer to different law school as you are in part-time program for one year.
Do some schools have requirement how many credits you have to have to qualify as a transfer student?
Thanks.

vickiherman

New

Post by vickiherman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:25 pm

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were in terms of the transfer process in the next year or so. Law school applicants, according to what I read, are down 20 percent. Does that mean that the top schools will accept more transfers or less?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”