Transferring Law Schools Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Total Litigator

Silver

Re: Transferring Law Schools

Post by Total Litigator » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:10 pm

arthurfels wrote:This site is so informative, and I was wondering if someone could help me with some advice on my current situation.

I recently got accepted into a T3 school - Southwestern, and a T4 - Whittier. My undergrad grades were my weak point (3.15 GPA - due to a very particular situation I explained in an addendum), but I did well on the LSAT, with a 166. My goal is to get excellent grades in first year and transfer in my second year to a better school. I am offered a large scholarship at Whittier (T4), but no scholarship at Southwestern (T3). Would starting off at Southwestern improve my chances of transfer, or would they only consider my class rank if it's between a T3 and T4? I'm trying to decide if it's worth taking out a sizable loan over.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I am quite confused here as well... with a 3.15, 166, you should have gotten into some T1's and absolutely some T2's... Did you apply late? I would wait another cycle and reapply. Try and get some good softs for now (volunteer if you can't get a job), and maybe even try to take the LSAT again if you can get your practice test scores up. With a 169+ you would have an very good chance at a T30.
Even with a 3.15 and a 166, there is no guarantee that you would even break the top 1/3 in your class and thus you could be stuck there. Your numbers aren't bad. Your GPA is low, but you haven't descended below the dreaded 3.0.
Don't do yourself a disservice. Wait another cycle.

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:11 pm

OOPS wrong thread. *edited
Last edited by rynabrius on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:44 pm

transplantedbuckeye wrote:
thexfactor wrote:UW takes like 3 kids a year. You better have a very very good reason for not being able to drive to Seattle U and needing to attend the U of W.
Danteshek wrote:
KIM_SAYS: wrote:Anyone know the chances of transferring from Seattle U. to University of Washington? Both in Seattle...UW's ranked in the 30s and SU dropped to the 80s.
Less than 10 percent chance.
I would actually say more like 30%. Those two schools have their own little clique going on in Seattle. Plus, I know there are people that go from my school to UW every year.
Dude, I have no idea where you would get such a number. I would say top 10% at a MINIMUM and still unlikely. There are like 75 applicants for like less than 5 spots.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:05 am

In addition to top grades, you probably need a compelling reason to transfer to UW.

FTR: applied to Loyola LA, USC and GW. Dinged at USC and GW. Attending Loyola.

Stats: top 20% at T3 + LR. SEC 1L Summer Honors (DC) + Federal Judicial externship.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:27 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:51 am

A'nold wrote:
transplantedbuckeye wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
KIM_SAYS: wrote:
I would actually say more like 30%. Those two schools have their own little clique going on in Seattle. Plus, I know there are people that go from my school to UW every year.
Dude, I have no idea where you would get such a number. I would say top 10% at a MINIMUM and still unlikely. There are like 75 applicants for like less than 5 spots.
Says they guy who got UW with top 15% from a TTT.
Who are you? I'm so happy I set you up for so many 1 line zingers. Glad I could be of service.

Anyway, my top 14% was a very unique top 14%, for reasons discussed and also reasons I cannot say. My situation was very unique and, needless to say, I was EXTREMELY lucky to get into UW. Just take a look at my 0 for 12 cycle before UW came along. Schools like Minnesota, that are known to accept top 1/4 t3'ers outright rejected me. UW is one of the hardest schools in the country to transfer into. If the transferapps website is any indication, I should have been accepted to Emory, WUSTL, Minnesota, etc. well before I should ever have gotten into UW.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:01 am

Dude, a 5 % difference at his school is probably no more than 5 people.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Danteshek wrote:Dude, a 5 % difference at his school is probably no more than 5 people.
You, sir, would be correct, haha.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:51 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:53 pm

bitter much? life isn't fair

in any event, it is highly unlikely that anyone at Seattle U. has a compelling need to transfer to UW.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Danteshek wrote:bitter much? life isn't fair
Far as I know, that poster goes to GULC, in which case I sincerely doubt he'd have any reason to be bitter about A'nold's transfer.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:05 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Danteshek wrote:bitter much? life isn't fair
Far as I know, that poster goes to GULC, in which case I sincerely doubt he'd have any reason to be bitter about A'nold's transfer.
No, but that poster expresses open hostility towards me and after hearing the reasons why, I think the poster is a little off base with his/her assumptions. Not to mention, whether true in reality, bwv's post did sound angry or bitter so I don't think dante's response was over the top by any stretch.

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:56 pm

for the record, I said 30% chance because the poster wants to transfer from Seattle U

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:02 am

transplantedbuckeye wrote:for the record, I said 30% chance because the poster wants to transfer from Seattle U
Yeah but to UW. UW is already hard enough. I would bet that it is even harder to transfer into UW from SU with top 10% than it is from a distant school where the applicant has a good reason for needing to be in Seattle.

bagosian

New

Post by bagosian » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Forget Seattle U to UW, I'd be happy getting from my T3 to Seattle U!

Seattle didn't like my 163, so here's to busting my butt to make the top 15% and hope I get in on transfer...

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Thoughts on GW to Columbia?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Aston2412 wrote:Thoughts on GW to Columbia?
Top 10% or better 1L GPA, solid LORs, and a good PS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jenspen21

New

Post by jenspen21 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 am

How likely is it to transfer to a school that you originally got accepted to and is lower ranked than where you currently go? (transferring from Berkeley to Texas? And I did undergrad at Texas)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:26 am

jenspen21 wrote:How likely is it to transfer to a school that you originally got accepted to and is lower ranked than where you currently go? (transferring from Berkeley to Texas? And I did undergrad at Texas)
It seems a lot more likely, but that begs the question, why?

jenspen21

New

Post by jenspen21 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:37 am

vanwinkle wrote:
jenspen21 wrote:How likely is it to transfer to a school that you originally got accepted to and is lower ranked than where you currently go? (transferring from Berkeley to Texas? And I did undergrad at Texas)
It seems a lot more likely, but that begs the question, why?
I want to live/practice in Texas. Would I have more access of jobs by being at UT?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:40 am

jenspen21 wrote:I want to live/practice in Texas. Would I have more access of jobs by being at UT?
You did undergrad at Texas. I'm presuming you lived in-state before going? (Due to the top 10% rule there's nearly no spots left at the school for out-of-state kids.) If you've got strong ties to Texas you should do fine staying where you are. They'll probably ask you why you chose Berkeley, but you can explain that as trying to get the best legal education you could get, and they'll very likely accept that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jenspen21

New

Post by jenspen21 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:10 am

vanwinkle wrote:
jenspen21 wrote:I want to live/practice in Texas. Would I have more access of jobs by being at UT?
You did undergrad at Texas. I'm presuming you lived in-state before going? (Due to the top 10% rule there's nearly no spots left at the school for out-of-state kids.) If you've got strong ties to Texas you should do fine staying where you are. They'll probably ask you why you chose Berkeley, but you can explain that as trying to get the best legal education you could get, and they'll very likely accept that.
Actually no I am not a TX resident, just lived there for undergrad. I chose Berkeley for IP reasons.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:13 am

jenspen21 wrote:Actually no I am not a TX resident, just lived there for undergrad. I chose Berkeley for IP reasons.
Well, then, you still have a compelling reason for why you chose it when firms ask.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:32 am

Thought I'd let you guys know I transferred from a T2 where I was ~top 5% to a T14. I struck out completely at OCI, and I'm definitely a good interviewer. I have various theories why, and I may have shot myself in the foot with how I worded/structured some things on my resume (indicating a non-interest in BigLaw, which wouldn't really be accurate), but that's simply the truth.

However, after speaking to people at my old school and seeing how they fared, there's pretty much no doubt in my mind that I would have struck out there too, as their OCI was an absolute bloodbath.

lovelaw27

Bronze

Post by lovelaw27 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:37 pm

apper123 wrote:Thought I'd let you guys know I transferred from a T2 where I was ~top 5% to a T14. I struck out completely at OCI, and I'm definitely a good interviewer. I have various theories why, and I may have shot myself in the foot with how I worded/structured some things on my resume (indicating a non-interest in BigLaw, which wouldn't really be accurate), but that's simply the truth.

However, after speaking to people at my old school and seeing how they fared, there's pretty much no doubt in my mind that I would have struck out there too, as their OCI was an absolute bloodbath.
Sorry to hear that. Did you focus on DC? Do you think the law firms had a difficult time comparing you to other students at your new school because your class rank was at another school? I am sure you will find something decent outside of OCI. I am thinking about transferring this spring. I think it would help a lot if I get new grades at the school I transfer too (assuming I do decent) before going through 2L OCI. Let us know how everything goes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”