MVP --> CLS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sultaneidsvoll
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: MVP --> CLS

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:43 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Remember that every employer at EIP will ask why you transferred. Leaving behind a strong class rank to move up 2-3 spots might raise some eyebrows. Just make sure you have a good story to tell.


Since I would be interviewing primarily in NYC durring EIP, wouldn't it be enough to say that I wanted to be in NYC?

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: MVP --> CLS

Postby concurrent fork » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:50 pm

sultaneidsvoll wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:Remember that every employer at EIP will ask why you transferred. Leaving behind a strong class rank to move up 2-3 spots might raise some eyebrows. Just make sure you have a good story to tell.


Since I would be interviewing primarily in NYC durring EIP, wouldn't it be enough to say that I wanted to be in NYC?


Possibly, but since top 1/3 MVP already places well in NYC you should focus on school specifics. Consider why it is your dream school (outside of USNWR and reputation), and incorporate those details into both your PS and your response to employers down the road.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: MVP --> CLS

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:08 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
sultaneidsvoll wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:Remember that every employer at EIP will ask why you transferred. Leaving behind a strong class rank to move up 2-3 spots might raise some eyebrows. Just make sure you have a good story to tell.

Since I would be interviewing primarily in NYC durring EIP, wouldn't it be enough to say that I wanted to be in NYC?

Possibly, but since top 1/3 MVP already places well in NYC you should focus on school specifics. Consider why it is your dream school (outside of USNWR and reputation), and incorporate those details into both your PS and your response to employers down the road.

This. If you're doing well enough to transfer, in general, you'll be doing well enough at your current T10 school to get offers from NYC firms.

sultaneidsvoll
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: MVP --> CLS

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
sultaneidsvoll wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:Remember that every employer at EIP will ask why you transferred. Leaving behind a strong class rank to move up 2-3 spots might raise some eyebrows. Just make sure you have a good story to tell.

Since I would be interviewing primarily in NYC durring EIP, wouldn't it be enough to say that I wanted to be in NYC?

Possibly, but since top 1/3 MVP already places well in NYC you should focus on school specifics. Consider why it is your dream school (outside of USNWR and reputation), and incorporate those details into both your PS and your response to employers down the road.

This. If you're doing well enough to transfer, in general, you'll be doing well enough at your current T10 school to get offers from NYC firms.


I didn't mean so that I can get NYC, I meant more like something along the lines of I wanted to be in NYC during law school.

User avatar
Badger3920
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Re: MVP --> CLS

Postby Badger3920 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:52 pm

Yes, "a man can dream." But, that doesn't mean that his dream withstands the test of logic/reason

I'm at CLS currently, as a transfer. The school is fantastic, but so are MVP. Personally, I think you should be focusing a bit more long term - like jobs, and all of your short term thinking should be dedicated to getting incredible grades. By the time you transfer here, you're only going to get 2 more years of an experience at CLS (unless you do an LLM or some other degree). After that are decades of work. With a top 10% at MVP, you're going to have opened doors at most any firm (especially if you made the flagship journal). You're also giving up a shot a coif at one of those schools. Coif at MVP is WELL beyond "respectable."

There are lots of considerations, but in the end, I'd simply advise you to weigh your options carefully. Giving up a top rank at a top school just for an ego boost or a prestige thing might not even satisfy the "penny wise" part of "penny wise, pound foolish." Many employers may see it the same way, and the last thing you want is to spend every interview at OCI (we call it EIP) explaining why you transferred to an interviewer that looks puzzled.

Best of luck in your 1st year.

User avatar
jlockhart6
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:12 am

Re: MVP --> CLS

Postby jlockhart6 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:39 am

Badger3920 wrote:Yes, "a man can dream." But, that doesn't mean that his dream withstands the test of logic/reason

I'm at CLS currently, as a transfer. The school is fantastic, but so are MVP. Personally, I think you should be focusing a bit more long term - like jobs, and all of your short term thinking should be dedicated to getting incredible grades. By the time you transfer here, you're only going to get 2 more years of an experience at CLS (unless you do an LLM or some other degree). After that are decades of work. With a top 10% at MVP, you're going to have opened doors at most any firm (especially if you made the flagship journal). You're also giving up a shot a coif at one of those schools. Coif at MVP is WELL beyond "respectable."

There are lots of considerations, but in the end, I'd simply advise you to weigh your options carefully. Giving up a top rank at a top school just for an ego boost or a prestige thing might not even satisfy the "penny wise" part of "penny wise, pound foolish." Many employers may see it the same way, and the last thing you want is to spend every interview at OCI (we call it EIP) explaining why you transferred to an interviewer that looks puzzled.

Best of luck in your 1st year.


This is very good advice. You need to think very very carefully as to whether it would be a good move for you. I realize you may really have loved that school and wanted to go there, but I am a transfer into MVP (from a school where it made total obvious sense to transfer into MVP) and STILL get ask in EVERY interview/call-back, "so why did you transfer?" The thing is, it is obvious why I transferred, very low ranked school in an undesirable market to MVP. Yet despite this I still have to come up with a good reason to move, outside of "because I wanted to interview with you." If you have the grades to go up to CLS, I really advise career prospect wise that you stay put because you will have the chance with all of the same firms. No offense - but it can really make or break a transfer student's screening interview with the answer to why did you transfer, and if the best answer you have is because I liked that school for a long time I am not sure that is going to get you anywhere. Plus I can tell you as a transfer, it sucks to take a back seat to all the other students and have to start over from square one - don't underestimate the impact of making faculty relationships and then leaving, making friends and leaving, etc. The transfer process sucks, I would not make a different decision for me, but then again I wasn't going from MVP up. Just my two cents, either way good luck to you.

User avatar
UnTouChablE
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: MVP --> CLS

Postby UnTouChablE » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Dreams are too important to punt on. Transfer then make up a story.

With your grades someone is bound to take a chance on you, I would transfer because you only get one chance and if you did well enough to do it and you want to do it, fuck it do it.

Schools don't give a shit about you, as a person; yet they would like you to buy into this 'loyal to your alma mater' bullshit. If I were in your position I would transfer rather than settle.

With those grades I would say, go higher, do HYSCC.

The jobs argument is a solid one thought but I think it can be easily dismissed. Most transfer students find jobs; chances are you will find a job. CLS is not known for producing jobless graduates. Do it sir, and good luck to you.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.