MVP --> CLS

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sultaneidsvoll

MVP --> CLS

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Anyone know what sort of class rank would be needed to transfer from MVP to CLS? Anyone done this?

vanwinkle

Re: MVP --> CLS

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:02 pm

You'd need to be close to the top of the class, maybe not top 10%, but close. I've heard of it done with slightly less before, but transfers are also getting more competitive (Harvard claims they received 30% more transfer apps this year than ever before, for example).

The important question is, why are you asking?

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:07 pm

vanwinkle wrote:You'd need to be close to the top of the class, maybe not top 10%, but close. I've heard of it done with slightly less before, but transfers are also getting more competitive (Harvard claims they received 30% more transfer apps this year than ever before, for example).

I know someone who did lower T-14 to CLS who was 15%. I would think that it would be easier from MVP, no?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:07 pm

If you have good enough grades from MVP to transfer to CLS, why do you need to transfer to CLS?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:08 pm

RVP11 wrote:If you have good enough grades from MVP to transfer to CLS, why do you need to transfer to CLS?

This is what I was getting at also. If you're in that good a position at MVP, transferring might not be a good idea, at least not to CLS. I'm not sure CLS is worth everything you'd be giving up.

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:09 pm

RVP11 wrote:If you have good enough grades from MVP to transfer to CLS, why do you need to transfer to CLS?

Nothing to do with recruiting, just always wanted to go to CLS. Man has got to have a dream.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:You'd need to be close to the top of the class, maybe not top 10%, but close. I've heard of it done with slightly less before, but transfers are also getting more competitive (Harvard claims they received 30% more transfer apps this year than ever before, for example).

Just a couple of datapoints, I know of 3 guys from NDCG who ended up top 25-30% this year, and are currently students at Columbia; and a handful of guys who were top 15% or so in the NDCG range, who are currently at Harvard.

So basically, top 10-15% at lower t14 - you have shots at Harvard.. Yale/Stanford are a lot harder because of small class sizes.. but top 15% at a lower t14 is basically a lock for at least one, if not more - of CCN; but valkilmer is correct, transfer apps are going up up up; so it becomes more competitive
Last edited by yellowjacket2012 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:11 pm

[/quote]

Just a couple of datapoints, I know of 3 guys from NDCG who ended up top 25-30% this year, and are currently students at Columbia; and a handful of guys who were top 15% or so in the NDCG range, who are currently at Harvard.

So basically, top 10-15% at lower t14 - you have shots at Harvard.. Yale/Stanford are a lot harder because of small class sizes.. but top 15% at a lower t14 is basically a lock for CCN[/quote]

Think its any easier from MVP? Top 1/3 to have a shot is what I would guess given your NDCG #'s but I have no idea.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:12 pm

For whatever reason, I don't personally know that many people from MVP

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:13 pm

OP, what is your situation? Are you a 1L at MVP now?

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:15 pm

vanwinkle wrote:OP, what is your situation? Are you a 1L at MVP now?

Yep.

"For whatever reason, I don't personally know that many people from MVP"

Fair enough.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:18 pm

I think people are overestimating the difficulty of transferring from MVP to CLS. I remember seeing a person on transferapps who did it with something like top 40 percent. Besides CLS takes in an ungodly amount of transfers---last year they took in 79. Still if you're trying to transfer up out of MVP you should just shoot for the stars (HYS).

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA2163.pdf

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:19 pm

BruceWayne wrote:I think people are overestimating the difficulty of transferring from MVP to CLS. I remember seeing a person on transferapps who did it with something like top 40 percent. Besides CLS takes in an ungodly amount of transfers---last year they took in 79. Still if you're trying to transfer up out of MVP you should just shoot for the stars (HYS).

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA2163.pdf

URM? Does that even matter for transfers?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Top 1/3 at MVPDNCG to transfer to CCN. I know more than one top third-ish person who made that jump.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:25 pm

OP, my advice to you for now is just try to do the best you can, and worry about what you can and can't do after you have your fall grades and know roughly what rank you are. You can figure out if or where you want to transfer after you've got your fall grades back.

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:26 pm

rayiner wrote:Top 1/3 at MVPDNCG to transfer to CCN. I know more than one top third-ish person who made that jump.

Sweet. Something to strive for. More difficult to transfer to CLS then NYU or Chicago?

vanwinkle wrote:OP, my advice to you for now is just try to do the best you can, and worry about what you can and can't do after you have your fall grades and know roughly what rank you are. You can figure out if or where you want to transfer after you've got your fall grades back.

I work better when I have concrete goals to motivate me. Knowing what I have to shoot for will make me a better student.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:29 pm

sultaneidsvoll wrote:I work better when I have concrete goals to motivate me. Knowing what I have to shoot for will make me a better student.

Then shoot for top 10% and Law Review. Aiming that high will benefit you whether you end up wanting to transfer or not.

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:37 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
sultaneidsvoll wrote:I work better when I have concrete goals to motivate me. Knowing what I have to shoot for will make me a better student.

Then shoot for top 10% and Law Review. Aiming that high will benefit you whether you end up wanting to transfer or not.

Not the right kind of objective. This may seem strange to you but its just the way I work. Any more anecdotes?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:40 pm

rayiner wrote:Top 1/3 at MVPDNCG to transfer to CCN. I know more than one top third-ish person who made that jump.

If you're top 1/3 from MVPB transferring to CCN is borderline worthless, especially to NYU. And after reading dbt's transfer story, it may actually turn out to be harmful (and in his case he made a bigger prestige jump---NYU to Yale).

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:46 pm

BruceWayne wrote:

If you're top 1/3 from MVPB transferring to CCN is borderline worthless, especially to NYU. And after reading dbt's transfer story, it may actually turn out to be harmful (and in his case he made a bigger prestige jump---NYU to Yale).

I wouldn't transfer to NYU. This is a question specific to my dream school CLS. I don't anticipate it affecting my job prospects all that much. There are other reasons to do things.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 pm

sultaneidsvoll wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

I wouldn't transfer to NYU. This is a question specific to my dream school CLS. I don't anticipate it affecting my job prospects all that much. There are other reasons to do things.

Good luck. Too bad you only what CLS, because you can apply to transfer ED to Chicago and get accepted off of only fall semester grades......

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:01 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
sultaneidsvoll wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Good luck. Too bad you only what CLS, because you can apply to transfer ED to Chicago and get accepted off of only fall semester grades......

If I had the grades to transfer to Chicago, I wouldn't need to go (as other posters have pointed out) I also prefer my current school to both CHI and NYU. I guess I'm in a slightly unique position. I would, however, consider HYS as well provided grades were at that level.

dbt

Postby dbt » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:49 am

Don't underestimate the value of the name/rank of the school that you're coming from when determining chances at transferring. Michigan -> CLS is not far from a lateral move.

sultaneidsvoll

Postby sultaneidsvoll » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:42 am

dbt wrote:Don't underestimate the value of the name/rank of the school that you're coming from when determining chances at transferring. Michigan -> CLS is not far from a lateral move.

Yah, I saw that CLS states that successeful transfers are typicaly top 5-10% on their website and I thought that might be more applicible to schools like Fordam than MVP but I'm trying to make sure.

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Remember that every employer at EIP will ask why you transferred. Leaving behind a strong class rank to move up 2-3 spots might raise some eyebrows. Just make sure you have a good story to tell.

Return to “Transfers”