Lateral Transfers- Please help!

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
UHawaiiLaw

Lateral Transfers- Please help!

Postby UHawaiiLaw » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Are the requirements and/or expectations (top 5-10% grades, etc.) to transfer from one law school to another (both similarly ranked) as stringent as trying to jump tiers as most people seem to do when transferring? Please advise, or if there is already a similar thread on this subject, let me know.

vanwinkle

Re: Lateral Transfers- Please help!

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Not so much; I've heard stories of people being top quarter or even top third and managing to lateral between peer schools. However, they often had substantial personal reasons to explain their need to move, and you should too.

Transfering does require a significant amount of sacrifice, in connections to professors and links to things like LR and possibly OCI, so it's not something that should be done without extremely good reason. Do you have one?

UHawaiiLaw

Postby UHawaiiLaw » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Well, I think it is a good reason. I moved quite far away from my home region to attend law school and a family member became sick (terminally), so I would like to transfer back to a closer school even though the transfer school is ranked similarly in the T2. Is this something that I need to disclose to the transferring school in my letter of intent?

hefox

Postby hefox » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:02 pm

yes

UHawaiiLaw

Postby UHawaiiLaw » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:14 pm

So, grades are not going to be as important for a lateral transfer? Are there any other things I can do to help my chances for successful lateral transfers aside from my 1L grades?

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Establish relationships with your 1L professors to get strong(er) LORs.

UHawaiiLaw

Postby UHawaiiLaw » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:39 pm

I am looking to transfer to Lewis & Clark and they don't seem to require LOR for this process. Is this something I should still do to strengthen my chances, despite them not having this requirement?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:43 pm

UHawaiiLaw wrote:I am looking to transfer to Lewis & Clark and they don't seem to require LOR for this process. Is this something I should still do to strengthen my chances, despite them not having this requirement?

Yes, definitely, if they accept them. Even if they're listed as only optional, give as many as they'll take.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:19 pm

UHawaiiLaw wrote:Well, I think it is a good reason. I moved quite far away from my home region to attend law school and a family member became sick (terminally), so I would like to transfer back to a closer school even though the transfer school is ranked similarly in the T2. Is this something that I need to disclose to the transferring school in my letter of intent?

Sorry to hear about your family member, but have you considered just taking a leave of absence instead? Even if you transfer the stress from your family member's illness might impede your ability to do well in school. You might be better off taking time off to be with your family.

UHawaiiLaw

Postby UHawaiiLaw » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks.

It's not an ideal situation to transfer and hopefully I will be able to transfer from my current school to L&C. Is anyone here familiar with the transfer process or how competitive it is to transfer into L&C?

I realize the stress of all this could affect my ability to do well at the transfer school, however, it's pretty important that I be closer to my family.

UHawaiiLaw

Postby UHawaiiLaw » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Is transfer information provided on any website (i.e. number of transfer apps received, number of offers, etc.)?

I am looking for transfer information pertaining to Lewis & Clark law school.

Thanks.

SkepticalHippo

Postby SkepticalHippo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:29 pm

They accepted 21 transfers last cycle while only 3 students transferred out. The school seems pretty transfer friendly and doesn't base the number of transfers they accept directly on how many people transfer out. I've never found information published for how many transfer applications schools typically receive so its anyone's guess, but the information below will tell you a little bit more about the law school in general.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA4384.pdf

Here is a link to the transfer page of their website with all the information on what you need to do to apply/deadlines, etc.

http://www.lclark.edu/law/offices/admis ... _students/

Hint: They don't require you to submit a personal statement, letters of reccomendation, or a resume but keep it mind that transfer applications are getting more and more competitive and it may be a good idea to include at least one letter of reccomendation from a professor and your resume. Most people include the "Why I am transferring" essay in their personal statement so you should be covered on that because they require a short essay.

Return to “Transfers”