Transferring in the Spring?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ln_330
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Transferring in the Spring?

Postby ln_330 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:39 am

I just finished my 1L at Hofstra, with being in the top 40%, however, I did not get accepted into any schools that I applied for a transfer for this fall. I really want to transfer out of Hofstra, as I just do not like it there. Should I consider transferring in the Spring? Is that even an option at most schools?

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Transferring in the Spring?

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 am

ln_330 wrote:Is that even an option


No.

/thread

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: Transferring in the Spring?

Postby merc280 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:03 am

what if you start law school in the spring. when would be the right time to apply for a transfer?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Transferring in the Spring?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:54 am

merc280 wrote:what if you start law school in the spring. when would be the right time to apply for a transfer?

Possibly never. You would have to apply in the fall and be like "these are my spring grades, and you won't have my summer grades by the time you have to make a decision, but please accept me anyway!"

Not helpful. Given everything I know about law school now, I've reached the opinion that starting in the spring is ALWAYS a bad idea. This isn't just because you make it immensely harder to transfer if you happen to do well, but also because (at least in the programs I've seen) you're enrolled in summer full-time to catch up, which means not having a real 1L summer job, which means more lost opportunities.

mardimar
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Transferring in the Spring?

Postby mardimar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:30 pm

GULC has spring start, but T40% from Hofstra likely won't cut it.

FlyAboveTheHaters
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Transferring in the Spring?

Postby FlyAboveTheHaters » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:10 pm

mardimar wrote:GULC has spring start, but T40% from Hofstra likely won't cut it.


GW does too, and maybe Boalt.

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: Transferring in the Spring?

Postby merc280 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
merc280 wrote:what if you start law school in the spring. when would be the right time to apply for a transfer?

Possibly never. You would have to apply in the fall and be like "these are my spring grades, and you won't have my summer grades by the time you have to make a decision, but please accept me anyway!"

Not helpful. Given everything I know about law school now, I've reached the opinion that starting in the spring is ALWAYS a bad idea. This isn't just because you make it immensely harder to transfer if you happen to do well, but also because (at least in the programs I've seen) you're enrolled in summer full-time to catch up, which means not having a real 1L summer job, which means more lost opportunities.



well unless its for schools like South Texas College of Law. I heard they do offer a normal summer for their students who start in the spring, but the only downside would be the inability to transfer.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.