Reapply or Plan to Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transferaccount

New

Reapply or Plan to Transfer

Post by transferaccount » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:47 pm

Thanks for the input, mods can feel free to close the thread.
Last edited by transferaccount on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Re: Reapply or Plan to Transfer

Post by lawschooliseasy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:52 pm

You're right. Go do something fun for a year and reapply. Several reasons:

1) Transfer admissions are tough; if for some reason you wind up doing worse than expected 1L you might not get into Texas.
2) Not sure about UT, but often transfers are eligible for neither scholarships, nor journal membership.
3) You won't be able to carry the bonds you form with 1Ls with you through the rest of law school.
4) The economy is for shit. No harm in waiting. You should be able to sublet your apartment and minimize the debt you incur. Even if you do wind up with debt, you might swing a scholly from Texas that would more than offset it.
Last edited by lawschooliseasy on Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:53 pm

You can't plan to transfer. Grades are not guaranteed. Leave.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Based on the limited information shared in your original post, you have basically offered posters a closed end question: yes, you should leave or no, don't stay. It's clear to me that you have already decided. However, if you want better input, then consider sharing your reasons & your current law school (which I guess begins with the letter "M").

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:02 pm

transferaccount wrote:I'm about to start at a T-10 school, have moved and signed a lease and everything. I planned on attending this school then moving back to my homestate Texas. I came here because I got caught up in the "attend the best school you get into" line of reasoning and essentially I think it was a mistake. I don't foresee myself being happy here, and I'm not really excited to be here (although I am excited to be in law school in general). There are many reasons why I'd prefer to be in Texas, and I won't bother listing them I'll just emphasize they are very important to me.

My question is, should I go ahead and do my first year here and plan on transferring down to Texas or should I break my lease and incur some debt from moving back home, reapply next year and go to U.T. where I'll be happier? I would be fine doing a year here then bailing, but I would absolutely not want to stay for all three. I've also heard that even when transferring down or lateraling, there is almost no chance to get a scholarship from the new school. Is this correct?

I am leaning towards breaking the lease and dealing with that small debt and attending U.T. on a large scholarship, rather than incurring more debt here and being unhappy. Just wondering if the TLS prevailing wisdom agrees that this is the better idea.
This would be retarded. Take a year off and reapply if you REALLY want to be at UT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Yep, take a year off and save as much money you can for living expenses before you take UT's scholarship money next year and run.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:25 pm

If you are at median after your first year at UT, will you have access to the types of jobs you want? What about your T10 school?

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:16 am

The transfer process is incredibly unpleasant, even in the best case scenario.

Don't plan on it.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:38 am

are the schools that don't allow transfers journal membership large, or is it just a few specific schools that are like that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”