Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WWRPPD
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby WWRPPD » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:50 am

Is it worth it for me to transfer out of Cooley law(MI) to Elon Law (NC)? Elon is a provisionally approved law school, should I take the chance on that or stay at Cooley?

I wasn't thinking about transferring, but then a few weeks ago, I started finding out that all my friends at Cooley were transferring. Most of the deadlines had already passed for applying.

Any thoughts? I realize how many people feel about Cooley law.

Thanks

ARTfulDodger
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:53 am

Have you considered transfering to any other schools? I would transfer, but not to Elon. Maybe somewhere else. What year are you and how did you grades wise?

lawschool2014
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby lawschool2014 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:09 pm

What was your rank at Cooley? These are not great options...

WWRPPD
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby WWRPPD » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:27 pm

I was only in the top 50% range. 2.6 overall GPA. ( at Cooley law)
I realize these are no strong numbers(to say the least).
I decided to try to transfer too late in the game and do not have the opportunity to transfer to many schools bc the deadlines are over.


any thoughts?

WWRPPD
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby WWRPPD » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:28 pm

I dont know about my options at any other schools yet, but if it were between Elon or not transferring, which direction would you go?

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm

I don't know anything about ELON and would be hesitant to go to a provisional school...that being said, I'd do anything I could to get Cooley off my diploma.

ARTfulDodger
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:46 pm

blowhard wrote:I don't know anything about ELON and would be hesitant to go to a provisional school...that being said, I'd do anything I could to get Cooley off my diploma.


Agreed. I view provisional schools as a risky choice.

ARTfulDodger
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:48 pm

WWRPPD wrote:I dont know about my options at any other schools yet, but if it were between Elon or not transferring, which direction would you go?


I'd sit down and really think about what I want to do. No offense, but with your GPA, I'm not sure how many options you would have. Bottomline, though, I would transfer if I could but not to Elon. Look into some other Tier 3 or 4 schools.

HTH and good luck.

appstoapps
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby appstoapps » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:56 pm

I agree that you should be looking at a more established t3 or t4 than Elon. That said, Elon's undergraudate school seems to be well regarded locally and they wouldn't endanger that reputation by building a slapdash LS. I wager that in 5-10 yrs Elon will have decent and growing regional rep. I can't see the same being said for Cooley.

WWRPPD
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby WWRPPD » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:42 pm

ARTfulDodger wrote:
WWRPPD wrote:I dont know about my options at any other schools yet, but if it were between Elon or not transferring, which direction would you go?


I'd sit down and really think about what I want to do. No offense, but with your GPA, I'm not sure how many options you would have. Bottomline, though, I would transfer if I could but not to Elon. Look into some other Tier 3 or 4 schools.

HTH and good luck.



Assuming I have no other option, bc I applied too late in the game, should I transfer to a provionally approved ABA school, elon, over staying at cooley?

Thanks

ARTfulDodger
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Apply to an accredited school. There are plenty of accredited tier 3 and 4 schools out there. Where are you located and where would you like to practice?

WWRPPD
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby WWRPPD » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:45 pm

ARTfulDodger wrote:Apply to an accredited school. There are plenty of accredited tier 3 and 4 schools out there. Where are you located and where would you like to practice?


I cannot apply to any schools at this point as a transfer because the deadlines have passed. I have applied to a few other schools along the eastcoast that are T3 and T4 schools. A few have already told me that it was to late to be admitted (this was about 3 weeks ago).

I would like to practice in NY/NJ and I am originally from that area, but I also have family in NC.

If I get accepted to any of the other schools as a transfer, I will consider them( but I realize my stats are not very strong).

I realize that a transfer from Cooley to Elon is not much of a change in the standings, that is why I initially posted....Bc i really am looking and thinking into this to try and make the right decision.
People are always saying you will get nowhere with a Cooley diploma, is this the way I should approach it as well and therefore transfer to Elon (that is if i am not accepted to any schools with better reps/standing/alumni relations)?

bradley
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby bradley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Dude, to be honest with you, I think you need to realize that law just isn't your thing and cut your losses while you can. I know it sucks to face the facts, but you'll be better for it in the end.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby merichard87 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:19 pm

bradley wrote:Dude, to be honest with you, I think you need to realize that law just isn't your thing and cut your losses while you can. I know it sucks to face the facts, but you'll be better for it in the end.


I'm not one for telling people to turn their back on their dreams but in your case i would say its time to reevaluate your options. Getting a 2.6 at Cooley is not the sign of a bright future. You might need to cut your losses before you are 100k+ in debt.

ARTfulDodger
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:50 pm

WWRPPD wrote:
ARTfulDodger wrote:
I cannot apply to any schools at this point as a transfer because the deadlines have passed. I have applied to a few other schools along the eastcoast that are T3 and T4 schools. A few have already told me that it was to late to be admitted (this was about 3 weeks ago).

I would like to practice in NY/NJ and I am originally from that area, but I also have family in NC.

If I get accepted to any of the other schools as a transfer, I will consider them( but I realize my stats are not very strong).

I realize that a transfer from Cooley to Elon is not much of a change in the standings, that is why I initially posted....Bc i really am looking and thinking into this to try and make the right decision.
People are always saying you will get nowhere with a Cooley diploma, is this the way I should approach it as well and therefore transfer to Elon (that is if i am not accepted to any schools with better reps/standing/alumni relations)?


Do you really want to transfer or are you just transfering just because your friends are? I think that you should rethink this. My advice is if you really want to transfer, then wait until next cycle to apply. That way, you will have more options.

WWRPPD
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby WWRPPD » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:59 pm

ARTfulDodger wrote:
WWRPPD wrote:
ARTfulDodger wrote:
I cannot apply to any schools at this point as a transfer because the deadlines have passed. I have applied to a few other schools along the eastcoast that are T3 and T4 schools. A few have already told me that it was to late to be admitted (this was about 3 weeks ago).

I would like to practice in NY/NJ and I am originally from that area, but I also have family in NC.

If I get accepted to any of the other schools as a transfer, I will consider them( but I realize my stats are not very strong).

I realize that a transfer from Cooley to Elon is not much of a change in the standings, that is why I initially posted....Bc i really am looking and thinking into this to try and make the right decision.
People are always saying you will get nowhere with a Cooley diploma, is this the way I should approach it as well and therefore transfer to Elon (that is if i am not accepted to any schools with better reps/standing/alumni relations)?


Do you really want to transfer or are you just transfering just because your friends are? I think that you should rethink this. My advice is if you really want to transfer, then wait until next cycle to apply. That way, you will have more options.



Thanks for your opinion ARTfulDodger.

If I wait for the next cycle then I will have completed 51 credits, thus the credits will not be accepted as a transfer.

I am not transferring b/c friends of mine have, but b/c people who I feel have contributed to the school in good ways are now leaving, and b/c I have family who lives in NC(I would be closer to them).

Thanks again!

ARTfulDodger
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby ARTfulDodger » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:03 pm

You're welcome. PM me if you have any other questions and best of luck to you. I'm sure that everything will work out in time and you will make the right decision for you.

FlyAboveTheHaters
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby FlyAboveTheHaters » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Some constructive advice...

You honestly don't seem like you want to transfer. In your post you say that you want to transfer because all of your friends are doing it, which should be at the bottom, well, in my opinion, not even on your list of reasons to transfer. It seems that the people on here are motivated to go to the best school possible for strictly career oriented goals, or for personal reasons. Your "personal" reason isn't good enough to motivate you to do well above the curve at Elon. I would suggest that if you aren't serious about this, don't do it. Too many people are hungry for this for you to take a spot that someone would kill have and hate to lose to someone who wants to transfer because all of their friends are leaving Cooley. Either way, you won't have the same friends at either place. Stay at Cooley and try to get your GPA up. Between both of the schools, it may be to your advantage to work every angle in the Cooley area, and work on getting your GPA as high as possible.

rockstar4488
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby rockstar4488 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:09 am

I think you should transfer to Elon. Gosh. Writing that makes me want to stick my hand in a meat grinder. I think checking out other t3/4 schools is an even better idea though.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby trialjunky » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 am

This a super hard decision but I would prolly say I would go for Elon if I was in your shoes, just to get away from the Cooley stigma.

enigmaingr
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby enigmaingr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Between Cooley and Elon, the question becomes whether you want to be a licensed attorney. If you do, you should stay at Cooley and work on that GPA. You're early enough in the program where, with the right selection of classes and better study techniques, you could graduate with a +3.0. Yes, it's from Cooley and you don't want to stay in Michigan. However, Cooley is accredited, allowing you to take the bar anywhere. The same cannot be said for Elon currently. Just think of where you'd be if Elon doesn't get full accreditation for some reason.

User avatar
john titor
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby john titor » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:51 pm

cooley's stigma is way overstated IMO

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby A'nold » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:19 pm

john titor wrote:cooley's stigma is way overstated IMO


I'm not so sure that this is correct.

Note that this statement is coming from a supporter of people that choose to go to t2-4 schools for good reasons. I think Cooley's reputation is so vile that almost any t4 would be better, even schools like Whittier or Widener.

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby Columbia Law » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:24 pm

wow, these are some terrible options. Why are you even in law school?

User avatar
john titor
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Transfer from COOLEY law to ELON Law?

Postby john titor » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:40 pm

A'nold wrote:
john titor wrote:cooley's stigma is way overstated IMO


I'm not so sure that this is correct.

Note that this statement is coming from a supporter of people that choose to go to t2-4 schools for good reasons. I think Cooley's reputation is so vile that almost any t4 would be better, even schools like Whittier or Widener.


cooley's reputation is terrible among law students mainly due to their self-produced rankings. the average lawyer making hiring decisions at a law firm that would consider other t4 candidates most likely doesnt know or doesnt care about that.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.