Wisconsin to Michigan

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dewalters

Wisconsin to Michigan

Postby dewalters » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:28 am

I could use some help on this very tough decision. I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should transfer from Wisconsin to Michigan. At Wisconsin, I have law review and guaranteed money (teaching assistant positions cover it all and pay a stipend). Michigan would give me a better chance at legal academia (also, law review is still a possibility at Michigan since I've completed the write-on) and would spare me the chore of taking the next year of law school off to study for prelims for my PhD program at Wisconsin (something I don't even know if I want to finish if I can do the law prof thing). However, to get all that, I'll have to take out about 100k in loans to cover it.

I've already sent in the deposit and signed up for the lawyer's club, so I'd be out over 7k if I backed out, but maybe it's worth it.

Let me know if there is a clear answer here that I'm just not seeing. Thanks!

Indubitably

Re: Wisconsin to Michigan

Postby Indubitably » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:32 am

I don't think you should back out at this point. Who knows what repercussions that could have.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:46 am

I wouldn't go banking on legal academia... but I would go.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:54 am

As much as I love Michigan, a recent study/blog (see below) might make me think twice if I were you. Personally, I think you'll do great whether you stay or leave. As far as academia goes, I think the most important thing--far more than what school you come from--is that you make connections with faculty and publish one or two articles before you go on the market.

Good luck! :)

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/07/30/new ... raight-as/

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:42 pm

tamlyric wrote:As much as I love Michigan, a recent study/blog (see below) might make me think twice if I were you. Personally, I think you'll do great whether you stay or leave. As far as academia goes, I think the most important thing--far more than what school you come from--is that you make connections with faculty and publish one or two articles before you go on the market.

THAT ARTICLE IS SO FUCKING RETARDED.

/RAGE

The vast majority of transfer students do well at the transferee school. OP, I went Wisconsin->Chicago. I dominated Chicago. Wisconsin is an OK school, and you really can't be banking on Academia out of Michigan (ever, but particularly if you don't make law review). That said... yeah, job prospects.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:49 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
tamlyric wrote:As much as I love Michigan, a recent study/blog (see below) might make me think twice if I were you. Personally, I think you'll do great whether you stay or leave. As far as academia goes, I think the most important thing--far more than what school you come from--is that you make connections with faculty and publish one or two articles before you go on the market.

/RAGE

+1

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:13 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

/RAGE

The vast majority of transfer students do well at the transferee school. OP, I went Wisconsin->Chicago. I dominated Chicago. Wisconsin is an OK school, and you really can't be banking on Academia out of Michigan (ever, but particularly if you don't make law review). That said... yeah, job prospects.

OP need not assume--as the article may well assume--that she (or he) will do worse at Michigan than she (or he) has done at Wisconsin. But that is surely a risk, no? Perhaps the risk is mitigated by the fact that 1L is over, and upper-year classes are graded on a much different rubric (see question below). Nonetheless, the question for OP is whether the risk is worth taking, and the article suggests that the answer may well be no (even if transfer students very often do well at their transfer school).

Question: How do schools generally handle the class rank of transfer students? Do 1L grades count for anything?

dewalters

Postby dewalters » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Well, the way Michigan handles it (and I'm pretty sure this is near universal) is that they wipe your slate clean. You start at 0.0, but you're also taking easier classes and specializing to some extent, so what I'm hearing from people is that this usually translates into almost an unfair advantage for transfers. I know I could use a reprieve on a couple of grades.

Overall, I'm not terribly worried about my GPA going down, as cataclysmic collapses seem to be pretty rare. So for the purposes of deciding, I'm just assuming I'll keep my class rank and maybe even improve it, especially since I won't have to dedicate a whole bunch of time to being a teaching assistant anymore.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Oh yeah, secured transactions, bankruptcy, federal regulation of securities, federal jurisdiction... these are all easier classes than torts :roll: :roll: :roll:

Yes, we start over at ground one. The fact that we can't grade on to law review is all the "punishment" we deserve for our "unfair advantage," thanks.

The article is retarded. Period. And it is also completely irrelevant, because the sample stopped at 2002. The relevant question here: what firms are even going to be interviewing at Wisconsin OCI next year? Are *any* Chicago biglaw firms going to be there? If they are, how many people do you honestly think they're planning on hiring? Is Q&B restarting its summer program? Are you willing to take a risk on Foley being the only "quality" firm (and I use that term loosely, because Foley has really, REALLY serious problems going on) at your OCI?

Don't base anything on that article, lol.

Look, I love Wisconsin. You probably know several very close (now rising-3L) friends of mine who decided to stick around. But honestly, the difference between Wisconsin and Michigan is just vast.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:03 pm

"But is it true? In a new paper, UCLA law professor Richard Sander and Brooklyn law professor Jane Yakowitz argue no. “Eliteness” of the school you attended matters much less, they found, than your GPA."

Never let the bitterness of not teaching at a T14 flow into your research.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:19 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:

/RAGE

The vast majority of transfer students do well at the transferee school. OP, I went Wisconsin->Chicago. I dominated Chicago. Wisconsin is an OK school, and you really can't be banking on Academia out of [any law school that isn't Yale] (ever, but particularly if you don't make law review). That said... yeah, job prospects.

+1 (after the edit).

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Your edit is wrong. At my 1L school, there was a Yale grad doing a "fellowship"--basically TAing--and he hasn't found a teaching gig yet. He's 6 years out.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:40 pm

bwv812 wrote:
pandacot wrote:

"But is it true? In a new paper, UCLA law professor Richard Sander and Brooklyn law professor Jane Yakowitz argue no. “Eliteness” of the school you attended matters much less, they found, than your GPA."

Never let the bitterness of not teaching at a T14 flow into your research.

Their paper may be problematic, but not nearly as problematic as this post. Yakowitz has a Yale JD, while Sander has one from NU, and their stances on AA are more responsible for this piece than any bitterness over their station.

Point taken. Unfortunately, tone is not conveyed on internet boards. My post was intended to be less than serious, and not an astute analysis of the reasoning behind their foray into absurd research.

Return to “Transfers”