Writing Sample for Application to Join Law Review

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
studebaker07

Writing Sample for Application to Join Law Review

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:54 am

I am transferring to a new school and the school allows transfer students to petition for journal membership by submitting a "why I want to join" statement along with a writing sample.

The trouble is, I cannot find ANYTHING that meets the 10-page word limit that is imposed on writing sample submissions. (The memo I would like to send is 12 pages long including footnotes).

Is it permissible in these kinds of situations to just send in a memo and cut it short at 10-pages even though the conclusion might be missing? I am really at my wits end. I don't know what else there is to do besides taking a hatchet to the memo I wanted to send and cutting important substance from it.

ArchRoark

Re: Writing Sample for Application to Join Law Review

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:23 am

stop at 10 pages and put

"To be continued..."

Honestly, I have no clue.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:30 am

you can't just edit it down so it's 10 pages and not missing critical elements?

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:19 am

I guess I could try to edit it down to 10 pages but I worry if I do that I could cut out too much substance. One option I could do is try and get there by going from double spaced lines to lines spaced at 1.5 or something. There are no instructions on how the writing sample should be formatted.

If I just played with the spacing of the document, do you think that would count against me because of some kind of general formatting rules that require double spaced lines?

foucault3

Postby foucault3 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:48 am

studebaker07 wrote:I am transferring to a new school and the school allows transfer students to petition for journal membership by submitting a "why I want to join" statement along with a writing sample.

The trouble is, I cannot find ANYTHING that meets the 10-page word limit that is imposed on writing sample submissions. (The memo I would like to send is 12 pages long including footnotes).

Is it permissible in these kinds of situations to just send in a memo and cut it short at 10-pages even though the conclusion might be missing? I am really at my wits end. I don't know what else there is to do besides taking a hatchet to the memo I wanted to send and cutting important substance from it.

The school I'm transferring out of had a similar page-limit for our law review write-on (they asked us to submit an 8 page writing sample). I took a brief I wrote during my first year, selected the section I felt was strongest (came to about 6 or so pages). Then, I prefaced that section with a 1-page introduction explaining that the section was excerpted from a larger brief, and explaining the facts of the case, etc.

iheartlaw

Postby iheartlaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:26 pm

[quote="foucault3] The school I'm transferring out of had a similar page-limit for our law review write-on (they asked us to submit an 8 page writing sample). I took a brief I wrote during my first year, selected the section I felt was strongest (came to about 6 or so pages). Then, I prefaced that section with a 1-page introduction explaining that the section was excerpted from a larger brief, and explaining the facts of the case, etc.[/quote]

TITCR. Write a brief introduction, that quickly highlights your best facts. If you have 2 issues you wrote on, you might want to consider scrapping one issue, and simply stating that this apart of a larger brief, but for purposes of this writing sample only issue 1 was included. This is the advice my appellate advocacy instructor gave me.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:43 pm

iheartlaw wrote:[

That's exactly what I did. I changed the facts up a little bit, did some cutting of my discussion section, and got it down to 9 pages.

Boom!

Return to “Transfers”