Texas Tech Law

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mmribail

Texas Tech Law

Postby mmribail » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Incoming transfer student. Can anyone on here (preferably a current student) let me know how the school is like. Particularly regarding the following:

1) Employment in the following cities: Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso
I am hoping for Biglaw, but if not I will likely want re-enter the military and do the JAG thing
for the next 4 to 8 years.

2) Is there anything to do there? I mean there are bars in Lubbock right?

3) How is the campus like and the law school facilities?

Note: Coming from Thurgood Marshall Law school...I am thrilled with the prospect of getting out of there!

Fast_Fingers

Re: Texas Tech Law

Postby Fast_Fingers » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:37 pm

Not a TX Tech graduate, but I've been around them in my internship (while one alum kept feeding me info about it, not realizing I had already turned in my deposit), and drive by the school at least once a week. I don't think there is much of a chance for Biglaw unless you are in the top 10%, but Tech has been doing quite well in the bar exams, even beating out UT Austin one time in 2008.

Employment in El Paso probably would be the best bet, considering that TX Tech works well in West Texas and if you ever decide to continue a military career, Fort Bliss is an ideal place to be.

Anyway, if you need an alum to talk to you, you can PM me and I'll see if I can get that one enthusiastic lawyer to chat with you. He may not be the most ambitious of lawyers that I know, but he is a good person (and can afford a Corvette only a few years after graduating).

texas man

Postby texas man » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Stats for bar passage rate:

--LinkRemoved--

xyzbca

Postby xyzbca » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 pm

mmribail wrote:Incoming transfer student. Can anyone on here (preferably a current student) let me know how the school is like. Particularly regarding the following:

1) Employment in the following cities: Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso
I am hoping for Biglaw, but if not I will likely want re-enter the military and do the JAG thing
for the next 4 to 8 years.

Just look up some of the Biglaw firms in those cities. Search their lawyer database by schools. I quickly looked at three firms. Each had a handful of associates from Texas Tech and they were all LR/graduated with some kind of honors/Order of the Coif. It is probably doable for you, just make sure you are at the top of your class.

Return to “Transfers”