Should I go from Cooley (%85 Scholly) to Chicago-Kent? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: Should I go from Cooley (%85 Scholly) to Chicago-Kent?

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:50 pm

rountrea wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been a silent observer of this website for a while, and I have seen the grief Cooley gets on here (most deservedly so) I didn't expect it to be this civil.
That's because good posters got here before the shitstorm began. Give TLS time, it'll live up to its reputation.

rountrea

New

Post by rountrea » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:54 pm

mistergoft wrote:
rountrea wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. I have been a silent observer of this website for a while, and I have seen the grief Cooley gets on here (most deservedly so) I didn't expect it to be this civil.
That's because good posters got here before the shitstorm began. Give TLS time, it'll live up to its reputation.
Haha, well I came to Cooley knowing the full consequences of my choice, could have gotten into much better schools, but as I said was in a serious relationship at the time, which ended 4 weeks into my first term. Was an emotional wreck the first semester of LS. Moral of the story don't make career choices based on a relationship. Chalk it up as a lesson learned :).

Midleton

New

Post by Midleton » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:53 am

I'm not sure what I would do. I'm currently (for the next two weeks) a student at Cooley and I am transferring to a mid-T1 school (right around 30). I'm surprised you didn't try getting into UIUC. I think you would have had a fair shot.

I also have a scholarship (75%), but I am transferring to a state where I want to practice and where I have residency for in-state tuition. I won't be saving money, but it's only going to cost me a few K more per year.

Obviously you aren't going to be saving any money by transferring. I suppose I would consider two criteria: 1) will you make more money over your lifetime with a Chicago-Kent degree and 2) Will you be happier at Chicago-Kent?

Whether or not you'll make more money, or be more successful, with a Chicago-Kent degree is anybody's guess. If you think being in Chicago will make you happier, and you know that's where you want to be, then go for it.

Good luck.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:23 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:35 am

bwv812 wrote:
mistergoft wrote: My particular contention was made in reference to OP's situation, not in general. Considering transfers are treated as students about at or a little above median from all available evidence, I was making the contention that a Chi-Kent does not place students ranked in that situation well in Chicago (or anywhere). I don't know all that much about Chi-Kent, but, I suppose that it places relatively well comparative to its rank.
I don't know where you get this from, but it's patently false.
if you can give me an objective measure to evaluate transfers with, I would be open to adopting that metric.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:54 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:01 am

bwv812 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
mistergoft wrote: My particular contention was made in reference to OP's situation, not in general. Considering transfers are treated as students about at or a little above median from all available evidence, I was making the contention that a Chi-Kent does not place students ranked in that situation well in Chicago (or anywhere). I don't know all that much about Chi-Kent, but, I suppose that it places relatively well comparative to its rank.
I don't know where you get this from, but it's patently false.
if you can give me an objective measure to evaluate transfers with, I would be open to adopting that metric.
I'm not asking you to adopt any metric, I'm just saying that employers do not treat all transfers as median students. And not all employers treat transfers the same. And not all employer decisions are objective.
I am trying to generalize. Obviously not all transfers are treated the same. I don't think anyone among us could specifically give an exact approximation of how transfers are treated by employers, but, I think my estimate is a good, conservative guess.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:51 pm

Speaking to career advisers from my new school and my previous school and legal recruiting departments from law firms...they do not always treat transfers as median students at the new law school. It is employer specific. If you were top 10% at your school and then transferred, some would treat you as top 10% at the new school while others would account for the fact that you are a transfer and thus will discount your achievements. Though no one has said they automatically treat you as a median student.

A degree from Cooley sticks with you. Transfer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”