Penn or NYU?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Dman3801

Penn or NYU?

Postby Dman3801 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:19 am

interested in public sector work -- federal govt, white house. my inclination is that it doesn't really *matter* since both are excellent and the decision would come down to personal preference.

thoughts?

apper123

Re: Penn or NYU?

Postby apper123 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:51 am

all else equal, i'd go NYU

but if you have a strong preference for either city, i'd go that route. penn likely has better lay prestige if that means anything to you lol

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:00 am

apper123 wrote:all else equal, i'd go NYU

but if you have a strong preference for either city, i'd go that route. penn likely has better lay prestige if that means anything to you lol

You mean Penn State? :mrgreen:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:15 am

Lol, just made this decision.

My thoughts are for PI for a liberal org go NYU.

For a conservative org do Penn and get the cert in Buisness and Public Policy from Wharton.

For any legal position where the people doing the hiring and/or most of the people you will be working with are not going to be lawyers, go Penn (for the lay prestige).

Either way, shouldn’t much matter, I personally liked Penn better, so I chose that. Since then, I’ve definitely made tons of great connections just by dropping the school name. Thinking of either working for a firm in my 2ndary market or for the litigation arm of a local policy think-tank.

Return to “Transfers”