Miami (Scholarship) v. Emory

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay at Miami or Transfer to Emory?

Emory
50%
Miami
50%

Total votes: 22

Here I AM

Miami (Scholarship) v. Emory

Postby Here I AM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I have been accepted into Emory but would be taking out full amount of loans to transfer. I am currently at Miami on a scholarship, but hate the school, but will essentially graduate with little debt. Do I transfer to Emory because it is a better school and I will get a better job, or bare it in Miami for a less impressive cheaper education? However... I would live rent free in atlanta and pay rent in Miami

patrickd139

Re: Miami (Scholarship) v. Emory

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:33 pm

What are your stats currently at the U?

Also, what are your career goals and where do you aspire to practice?

Finally, Hotlanta or Miami?

Here I AM

Postby Here I AM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:35 pm

Top 20% at Miami.

Would like to practice in Atlanta or New York.

Would like to work at a mid-sized firm but if im at emory (because of loans) i'd have to work at a large firm.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Prospects are very grim for NYC. If you want Atlanta, go to Emory. You're not high enough up in your class at Miami to justify staying, IMO. Do you have LR at Miami?

I'm sure there will be at least one other person on here who disagrees with me, though.

Here I AM

Postby Here I AM » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:45 pm

Law review competition is this week.... the only reason i really would stay is because it is cheaper and i dont have to take out loans to go to miami, whereas at emory its full price.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:45 pm

I believe Emory had some pretty grim OCI #s in the OCI data thread. I'm not sure I would jump into 40K loans/year for that. However, I am a know nothing 0L, so you might want to take that into consideration.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:05 pm

sundevil77 wrote:I believe Emory had some pretty grim OCI #s in the OCI data thread. I'm not sure I would jump into 40K loans/year for that. However, I am a know nothing 0L, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Emory's grim OCI numbers are going to be exponentially better at getting a job in Atlanta than Miami's grim OCI numbers. Neither will to get you to NYC.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:13 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:I believe Emory had some pretty grim OCI #s in the OCI data thread. I'm not sure I would jump into 40K loans/year for that. However, I am a know nothing 0L, so you might want to take that into consideration.

Emory's grim OCI numbers are going to be exponentially better at getting a job in Atlanta than Miami's grim OCI numbers. Neither will to get you to NYC.

I don't disagree. But what is the probability of going to Emory, still not get a job in Atlanta, but now he's over $100K in debt? If it's no better than 50/50, I wouldn't take the gamble. Then again, I can be pretty risk averse.

phishskier41

Postby phishskier41 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:52 pm

I am transferring to Emory this fall from a lower T2 than Miami. I think if you want to stay in Florida 100% with limited mobility down the line I would stay at Miami especially with LR. I don't think a Miami degree would prohibit you from moving around down the road, I think that this will depend more on your work credentials. Also, living in Miami will allow you to continue networking there. Chances are even if you transfer or stay, you will get your job though networking like most of the class at Miami and at Emory.

I wouldn't really worry about OCI stats in choosing to transfer.... OCI this year at both of these schools will not be good. No one should be counting on OCI at both of these schools. Start networking now in Miami if you stay. If you leave start networking in Atlanta as soon as you get there.

Good Luck!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:11 pm

Tough call. Emory may be the better choice for you since you hate Miami & since you want to work in Atlanta.

Return to “Transfers”