Another Transfer Poll --- NYU v. Fordham Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

NYU v. Fordham

Transfer to NYU
23%
Stay at Fordham (Top 10 out of 480 students + Law Review)
77%

Total votes: 66

addicted

New

Another Transfer Poll --- NYU v. Fordham

Post by addicted » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:20 pm

The poll says it all. Should I stay or should I go?

*** I want to work in big law and I plan to stay in NY after I graduate.
*** Money is not a factor. I am only receiving $5,000 a year from Fordham.

servinDizzert

New

Re: Another Transfer Poll --- NYU v. Fordham

Post by servinDizzert » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Negotiate for (more) money

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 pm

I would think that someone in the top 10 people out of 480 would have his/her pick of jobs upon graduation. What would be the point of switching schools when you are totally set as it is?

addicted

New

Post by addicted » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 pm

Already tried and failed. Fordham just doesn't have the funding. They give $5,000 to each of the top 15 students, but they refused to offer more.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:25 pm

What is the LR/journal picture at NYU? Any other student organizations at NYU you want to be a part of? Anything at Fordham you're going to really miss by leaving behind?

You're probably set at Fordham. OCI might go easier if you stay because you'll be at the top of the class and thus first in line with anyone who actually does any hiring from Fordham. At NYU you'll be stuck in a very nebulous middle.

I honestly don't think it'll make that much difference either way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:25 pm

dakatz wrote:I would think that someone in the top 10 people out of 480 would have his/her pick of jobs upon graduation. What would be the point of switching schools when you are totally set as it is?

addicted

New

Post by addicted » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:26 pm

dakatz wrote:I would think that someone in the top 10 people out of 480 would have his/her pick of jobs upon graduation. What would be the point of switching schools when you are totally set as it is?
You're may be right. I really don't know.

I figure if I walk into every interview with my Fordham transcript and can add to the package that I'll graduate from NYU though, it may be a step up. Maybe better offers?

Is there a downside career-wise? The firms would still see my grades that I was invited to Law Review.

addicted

New

Post by addicted » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:28 pm

vanwinkle wrote:What is the LR/journal picture at NYU? Any other student organizations at NYU you want to be a part of? Anything at Fordham you're going to really miss by leaving behind?

You're probably set at Fordham. OCI might go easier if you stay because you'll be at the top of the class and thus first in line with anyone who actually does any hiring from Fordham. At NYU you'll be stuck in a very nebulous middle.

I honestly don't think it'll make that much difference either way.
I need to look into the law review / journal picture at NYU... Does anyone on here know?

Thanks for the feedback... Did you decide to transfer?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:29 pm

addicted wrote:Is there a downside career-wise? The firms would still see my grades that I was invited to Law Review.
You can't keep putting "invited to Law Review" on your resume for the rest of your life. You can only keep putting Law Review on your resume if you're actually going to be on LR. For that reason, Fordham+LR might be valuable in that you'll always have it on your resume and it will always tell people that you were at the top of your class. You won't have something like that at NYU; you'll be an NYU grad, but just a typical NYU grad.
addicted wrote:Thanks for the feedback... Did you decide to transfer?
I am transferring, but I also was not giving up Law Review to do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

addicted

New

Post by addicted » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:37 pm

Wow. I didn't expect the vote to be so heavy for Fordham. I figured both schools would be a wash at this point.

selfloathingtransfer

Bronze

Post by selfloathingtransfer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Stay at Fordham, but STAY in the top 10.

Could you go to NYU, slack and still get a great job? Maybe in years past, but probably not ITE.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

selfloathingtransfer

Bronze

Post by selfloathingtransfer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:33 pm

bwv812 wrote:
selfloathingtransfer wrote:Stay at Fordham, but STAY in the top 10.

Could you go to NYU, slack and still get a great job? Maybe in years past, but probably not ITE.
2L and 3L performance has absolutely nothing to do with getting a job at OCI, and OCI is where great jobs come from.
What if someone gets no offers or unsatisfactory offers during OCI at the beginning of 2L? Is there no hope of getting a better offer later on? I'm truly curious to hear perspectives on this.

Edit: Another reason I say "STAY in the top 10" is because it seems like something that could stay on one's résumé long term. Maybe not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Top 10 Students? Stay. Fordham's data strongly suggest the top students (however many there were) got tons and tons of offers last year, the worst hiring year we've seen in a long time. LR cements your long term prospects.

Unless you want out of the city, I think staying at Fordham is probably TCR.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:45 pm

OP, we discussed this, but you've been given a lot of sage advice here. I do think you would be first in line at our school, which isn't to say that you wouldn't have wonderful prospects at NYU. It's the giving up being first in line bit that gives me pause, since that is your sure thing. I wanted you to have unbiased opinions, which mine can never be. GL on your decision!

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:47 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

addicted

New

Post by addicted » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:44 am

what's the journal write-on process like for transfers at nyu? would that make a difference if I could still be on a journal there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 am

I don't think should leave for anything less than HYS. Just don't pick a firm that might no-offer you and you should have a good career.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:48 am

The tribe has spoken, dude.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:49 am

addicted wrote:what's the journal write-on process like for transfers at nyu? would that make a difference if I could still be on a journal there.
You should find out pronto, but I know at columbia you'd already have missed the process.

In general, even if you can get on a journal, it will be vastly inferior to law review. But it depends on your goals. Transactional practices seem to place much less emphasis on law review than lit practices, prosecution/defense government jobs, and clerkships.

If all you want to do is start at a mid to high vault firm in NYC and stay there as long as possible, transferring likely won't hurt your odds. But if you have greater ambitions, giving up law review and being at the absolute top of the class will be a blow. Perhaps recoverable, perhaps not. I know people who transferred from Fordham like schools even to HYS and wound up "regretting" it. Obviously they wound up in a good spot, but yes - giving up all the bells and whistles of being the top of a slightly lesser regarded law school to be another face in the crowd at a more highly regarded law school can have consequences.

addicted

New

Post by addicted » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:17 pm

Thanks Disco Barred...

My goals are pretty centrally focused on big law at this point. I was thinking NYU might open up more opportunities --- either additional firms or additional interviews. For example, Sullivan and Cromwell and Akin Gump aren't doing OCI at Fordham this year (just the resume advance / drops). It sounds like the board pretty heavily disagrees though.

On the journal front, I am still eligible for law review and the other journals. From what I gather though law review is a huge longshot (I think there's only 1 or 2 spots for all the transfers to fight for).

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:09 pm

As a fellow Wilkie I say stay! All the top firms are coming to fordham. You will be at the top of the heap here. Why go throwing yourself into the pool at NYU with tons of other qualified candidates? I say be a big fish in a little pond. Of course, if you leave it will only benefit me, so there's that :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”