My Transfer Experience

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
phishskier41

My Transfer Experience

Postby phishskier41 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:58 pm

I am writing this in an attempt to help future 1L's who are going through the transfer process.

It is worth noting that regardless of getting the grades needed to transfer which is work in and of its self, but the entire process is extremely both mentally and physically draining. Just know this going in, you must be committed to going through the transfer process it is not easy.

Background on my decision:

I went to a low tier-2 law school in a major market with a lot of competition. I had a half scholarship with a above average LSAT and a fair UGPA. While I definently do not encourage planning to transfer prior to entering law school, I feel like most people who transfer have the idea in the back of there head somewhere. Although it is true that most people who plan on transferring do not get the grades high enough to do so.

At the end of my first year, my grades were above average but a little low for what I wanted based on a low grade (B-) in Conlaw. The biggest problem with planning on transferring is that there is some luck to law school grades. If I got one more of these "unlucky" grades my transfer dreams would have been dead. I finished top 18% and was offered an increased scholarship and a spot on all of the journals including law review. After applying to schools I was accepted at Washington and Lee and Emory and was rejected at Georgetown and GW (I never heard from W&M).

I will be moving to Atlanta and attending Emory this fall, a school I would have never imagined going to only a few years ago!

My First Year

My 0L prep was fairly limited, I was nervous so I bought Glannon's E&E Civ Pro ahead of time and thumbed through it a few nights. I didn't really read too much in depth and I didn't really understand it too much. Study aids make way more sense when you actually start law school so I don't recommend doing this. I did however, read Getting To Maybe. I do recommend this as the book is very helpful.

My study schedule was fairly standard, although pretty intense compared to most of my classmates. Although there were people who worked more than me. I generally worked from 8 till 8 or 9 and took Saturdays and Sundays off until the last month, which became lockdown time. I took notes differently depending on the class and used old outline templets and various study aids and worked on my outline throughout the semester. I truly believe that only you can know how you will do well in your class and your study techniques and use of study aids will be different depending on the teacher and class. I am happy to go more depth in to what I did that allowed me to do well in the classes. I think the advantage I had in taking exams was that I am a very strong legal writer and was able to pick up the skill fairly early into the semester.

The Transfer Process

I started my applications in June and sent all of my applications off at the end of June when my class rank was calculated. As you will learn the process is a very, very quick turnaround. I asked two professors to write letters of recommendation, who were more than happy to help. Additionally, my school did not really put up much of a fight when I told them I was thinking of leaving. They did however try to schedule meets etc. to dissuade me. For me it was purely geographical and regional reputation mixed with the saturation of my old market. My grades were probably the lowest I could have gotten to make a jump as big as I did. I had no special softs but, my personal statement did have ties to the south and a desire for me to be there, no real compelling reason though.

I am happy to answer any questions about my process. I just think it is important to know going in to transferring that it is not easy, both mentally and physically. It will drain you. Good Luck.

Total Litigator

Re: My Transfer Experience

Postby Total Litigator » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:03 am

This is strangely close to my experience... I also got a B- in Con Law, I was accepted by Washington & Lee and a T25, and I also never heard back from William and Mary...

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:30 am

you're leaving a T2 w/ LR and a 1/2+ scholarshiop to pay sticker at emory? why? :?:

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:33 am

You guys should try to get your app fees back from W&M (or at least call and find out what the hell happened). That's totally unacceptable.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:36 am

sanpiero wrote:you're leaving a T2 w/ LR and a 1/2+ scholarshiop to pay sticker at emory? why? :?:
probably b/c OP was in a region where i didn't prefer to work in at his old school.

phishskier41

Postby phishskier41 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:08 am

najumobi wrote:
sanpiero wrote:you're leaving a T2 w/ LR and a 1/2+ scholarshiop to pay sticker at emory? why? :?:
probably b/c OP was in a region where i didn't prefer to work in at his old school.

It wasn't that I didn't want to work in the region of my current school it was that the region was dc and there is significantly more local competition. Emory is a big name in the southeast which I feel in the long run will be the much better decision. Also the difference in debt is going to be only 30,000 and I would be facing six figures from either school.

Edit: My T2 has flipped back and forth as a T3

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:31 am

Congratulations. It is helpful to know that a top 20% class rank was sufficient to enable you to transfer from a low tier two/borderline tier three law school to a top 25 law school. Are you willing to share your LSAT score even though irrelevant for the transfer process since it may offer encouragement to many ?

phishskier41

Postby phishskier41 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:37 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Congratulations. It is helpful to know that a top 20% class rank was sufficient to enable you to transfer from a low tier two/borderline tier three law school to a top 25 law school. Are you willing to share your LSAT score even though irrelevant for the transfer process since it may offer encouragement to many ?

Sure 161

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:46 am

Interesting because another poster that had scored 161 on the LSAT was recently accepted as a transfer student to Stanford Law School.

phishskier41

Postby phishskier41 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:48 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Interesting because another poster that had scored 161 on the LSAT was recently accepted as a transfer student to Stanford Law School.

Haha that would have been amazing if it were me but I don't even think the number 1 in our class could get in to Stanford without a good soft.

Danielle86

Postby Danielle86 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Congrats PhishSkier! Emory is a great choice!! :)

phishskier41

Postby phishskier41 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Hopefully the economy will recover and an Emory degree will be strong down the road.

Return to “Transfers”