MVPB, $$, law review OR Harvard Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay or Transfer

MVPB, $$, law review
76%
Harvard
24%

Total votes: 168

EddardStark

New

MVPB, $$, law review OR Harvard

Post by EddardStark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Hello TLS,

I'm currently on law review with some money at MVPB and was recently accepted to transfer to Harvard.

I want to clerk and then work for a firm in NY.

MVPB Pros: Recs for clerkships, support system in place (aka study group and friends), retain strong rank
Harvard Pros: Clerkships, alumni network

Should I stay or transfer?

traydeuce

Silver

Re: MVPB, $$, law review OR Harvard

Post by traydeuce » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:04 pm

No one's been admitted to Harvard yet, but what I'm wondering is, what does MVPB stand for?

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Mich, Virg, Penn, Berk?

EddardStark

New

Post by EddardStark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:07 pm

traydeuce wrote:No one's been admitted to Harvard yet, but what I'm wondering is, what does MVPB stand for?

I was admitted yesterday. M = Michigan, V = Virginia, P = Penn, B = Berkeley

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Stay where you are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HazelEyes

Bronze

Post by HazelEyes » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:09 pm

Harvard or bust.

Though support is a biggie.

EddardStark

New

Post by EddardStark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Mallard- Thanks for the response. But, why? It seems to me like my opportunities would be the same regardless if I stay or transfer. Do you think there would be better opportunities post-graduation and down the road if I stay?

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 pm

Just wondering, did you status check go straight from read for review to decision, or was there an under-review period? Also stay where you are, not much to be gained by transferring. Unless you are in love with the idea of going to Harvard.

EddardStark

New

Post by EddardStark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:12 pm

luthersloan wrote:Just wondering, did you status check go straight from read for review to decision, or was there an under-review period? Also stay where you are, not much to be gained by transferring. Unless you are in love with the idea of going to Harvard.
It went straight from ready for review to accepted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

b1ue

New

Post by b1ue » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:13 pm

-
Last edited by b1ue on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:14 pm

EddardStark wrote:Mallard- Thanks for the response. But, why? It seems to me like my opportunities would be the same regardless if I stay or transfer. Do you think there would be better opportunities post-graduation and down the road if I stay?
The money is right and you're on law review. Seems easy to me. But I could be wrong.

EddardStark

New

Post by EddardStark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:15 pm

b1ue wrote:
EddardStark wrote:
luthersloan wrote:Just wondering, did you status check go straight from read for review to decision, or was there an under-review period? Also stay where you are, not much to be gained by transferring. Unless you are in love with the idea of going to Harvard.
It went straight from ready for review to accepted.
when did you go R2R?
I really don't remember. A few weeks ago.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:17 pm

If you get a chance to go to Harvard, you go. Unless you also get a chance to go to Yale. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EddardStark

New

Post by EddardStark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:19 pm

mallard wrote:
EddardStark wrote:Mallard- Thanks for the response. But, why? It seems to me like my opportunities would be the same regardless if I stay or transfer. Do you think there would be better opportunities post-graduation and down the road if I stay?
The money is right and you're on law review. Seems easy to me. But I could be wrong.
I won't hear about financial aid from H for a few weeks. (I don't have the info to apply for fin aid yet). But, I the $$ isn't swaying me too much regardless.

And, I'm not quite sure how to compare law review with H and no law review. I would imagine within the legal community T14 law review is equally as prestigious as H, but I'm not 100% sure I want to be a lawyer forever.

transplantedbuckeye

Bronze

Post by transplantedbuckeye » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:24 pm

EddardStark wrote:
mallard wrote:
I won't hear about financial aid from H for a few weeks. (I don't have the info to apply for fin aid yet). But, I the $$ isn't swaying me too much regardless.

And, I'm not quite sure how to compare law review with H and no law review. I would imagine within the legal community T14 law review is equally as prestigious as H, but I'm not 100% sure I want to be a lawyer forever.
If you want a clerkship, keep the law review and rank at the top 10 school.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:24 pm

I think you'd be crazy to transfer. Your are near the top of your class now, so you'll get a great clerkship unless something goes terribly wrong next year. If you go to Harvard, you'll have to start over again.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Cavalier wrote:I think you'd be crazy to transfer. Your are near the top of your class now, so you'll get a great clerkship unless something goes terribly wrong next year. If you go to Harvard, you'll have to start over again.
I agreed with all of this until I read the word HARVARD and immediately changed my mind.

tough decision OP.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arstech

New

Post by arstech » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 pm

I really don't see why you're polling a bunch of people, many of whom are competing with you for the slots, on whether or not to transfer.

I'm sure you know all the pros and cons already and will reach the correct decision.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Have you thought about talking to your current school about an increase in scholarship in light of your opportunity to transfer?

jlockhart6

Bronze

Post by jlockhart6 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:34 pm

arstech wrote:I really don't see why you're polling a bunch of people, many of whom are competing with you for the slots, on whether or not to transfer.

I'm sure you know all the pros and cons already and will reach the correct decision.
lol, I was thinking the exact same thing. Good luck with the decision OP, either way I think you come out on top.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shmoo597

Bronze

Post by shmoo597 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:43 pm

MrKappus wrote:If you get a chance to go to Harvard, you go.
titcr.

its harvard - it will stay with you forever. you just don't pass up the oppourtunity to go there, no matter what.

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Did they call you? Email you? Package?

Curious minds want to know...

EddardStark

New

Post by EddardStark » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:49 pm

D.Wilde wrote:Did they call you? Email you? Package?

Curious minds want to know...
Called. They said that they were putting a package in the mail yesterday.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:50 pm

MrKappus wrote:If you get a chance to go to Harvard, you go. Unless you also get a chance to go to Yale. :)
I have been informed that this is monumentally stupid advice, in light of OP's goals, and I have to say I tend to agree. Move to retract!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”