Transfer from Cardozo to NYU/CLS Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Dozo to NYU?

Stay at dozo
28%
NYU/cls
72%

Total votes: 29

chicago520

New

Transfer from Cardozo to NYU/CLS

Post by chicago520 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 am

Last edited by chicago520 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

interalia

New

Re: Transfer from Cardozo to NYU/CLS

Post by interalia » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:10 am

I don´t think you have a great shot at CLS/NYU. Plenty of people from Cardozo/Brooklyn attempt to transfer every year, and since there are about 1,000 students between those two schools, that means that about 70 students at those two schools have your numbers or better, many of whom will attempt to transfer to CLS/NYU.

You should apply if you want to go, though.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:21 am

Regardless of your chances, you're going to need to apply quite quickly. NYU requires the application to be submitted by July 1st, but allows supplemental forms to be submitted by the 15th. CLS is due the 15th.

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:21 am

Last edited by chicago520 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:26 am

scholly at play?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:34 am

sanpiero wrote:scholly at play?
no.

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38 am

PM'ed

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:46 am

Last edited by chicago520 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:47 am

chicago520 wrote:
no.
apply. you have nothing to lose. cls/nyu would cost slightly more, but would give a substantial boost to your career, imo.

EDIT: sorry, missed the part about LR. ask about it. do they withdraw your LR offer if you merely apply to other schools? this sounds ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:57 am

sanpiero wrote:
chicago520 wrote:
no.
apply. you have nothing to lose. cls/nyu would cost slightly more, but would give a substantial boost to your career, imo.

EDIT: sorry, missed the part about LR. ask about it. do they withdraw your LR offer if you merely apply to other schools? this sounds ridiculous.

thanks for the replies. I need to ask. but, i have noticed through internships and word of mouth, crim work is A LOT less prestige based (in fact, my exp tells me that prestige could get you dinged since you are not "one of them." just my exp/ sense of where i have been.) I don't want manhattan da or anything nuts like that. I'm talking run of the mill pd/da and fed jobs. Prob no biglaw. thoughts? is it really a "substantial" boost?

edit: i am assuming transferring to fordham would be worthless. wrong?

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:40 am

chicago520 wrote:
sanpiero wrote:
chicago520 wrote:
no.

thanks for the replies. I need to ask. but, i have noticed through internships and word of mouth, crim work is A LOT less prestige based (in fact, my exp tells me that prestige could get you dinged since you are not "one of them." just my exp/ sense of where i have been.) I don't want manhattan da or anything nuts like that. I'm talking run of the mill pd/da and fed jobs. Prob no biglaw. thoughts? is it really a "substantial" boost?

edit: i am assuming transferring to fordham would be worthless. wrong?
You are probably right about crim work being less prestige based. If I were you, I would apply to CLS and NYU (not fordham), then I would ponder all these questions your posing. If you get into neither, this entire discussion is moot.

fwiw, if I had absolutely no intention of working in the private sector, at the USAO, or as a federal judicial clerk, I would stay put at dozo.

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Last edited by chicago520 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:27 pm

It probably makes sense to at least shoot NYU and CLS an app. However, if your internet persona reflects how you are IRL, then you're probably doomed regardless of the school on your J.D.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:54 pm

;

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:02 pm

chicago520 wrote:yeah i think ill save myself the hassle (maybe lol). also, i know a lot of AUSAs....all of them went to "worse" schools than cardozo....even the USA himself. TLS's sense of the real world is indeed warped haha.
I normally stay out of the Students' forum but:

A close family friend started as an AUSA in one of the biggest federal districts. He got the job by interning during school and was offered the job upon graduation. An opportunity like this doesn't exist anymore.

Like firms, AUSA hiring of yesteryear =/= AUSA hiring in the present.

A close family member is in charge of hiring at a US. Atty's office in the same massive federal district. He has been inundated with apps from people from incredibly prestigious schools (think T17). Laid off firm associates and the like were present. With so many big names to choose from, he has had no need to dip into the lower T1s and T2s for AUSAs. The competition is cutthroat. Something to take into consideration.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 pm

chicago520 wrote:yeah i think ill save myself the hassle (maybe lol). also, i know a lot of AUSAs....all of them went to "worse" schools than cardozo....even the USA himself. TLS's sense of the real world is indeed warped haha.
WTF? Please don't fall into the common TLS trap of drawing ridiculous conclusions based on miniscule samples.

USAs:

EDNY - HLS
NDNY - Albany Law (Georgetown UG)
WDNY - UB (ND UG)
SDNY - CLS
DNJ - HLS
DCT - NYU
EDPA - UVA
MDPA - GULC
DRI - NYU

ITE, if i wanted USAO, I'm going to the highest ranked school possible and taking advantage of IBR and said school's LRAP program. I suspect a bunch of those students in the t14 who are being shut out of biglaw are fighting for AUSA gigs. Whoever you know at the USAO very likely got their jobs in a very different job market than today's. I could be wrong though.

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm

rad law wrote:
I normally stay out of the Students' forum but:

A close family friend started as an AUSA in one of the biggest federal districts. He got the job by interning during school and was offered the job upon graduation. An opportunity like this doesn't exist anymore.

Like firms, AUSA hiring of yesteryear =/= AUSA hiring in the present.

A close family member is in charge of hiring at a US. Atty's office in the same massive federal district. He has been inundated with apps from people from incredibly prestigious schools (think T17). Laid off firm associates and the like were present. With so many big names to choose from, he has had no need to dip into the lower T1s and T2s for AUSAs. The competition is cutthroat. Something to take into consideration.

I agree with you. But I am quite sure hiring staff are not impressed by t14 grads who clearly are trying to get into USAO as a second choice/defered biglaw. fed districts vary greatly in popularity and applicants. But, yes, your point is well taken...although it (and all of this discussion) probably only applies to honors hiring.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:13 pm

chicago520 wrote: I agree with you. But I am quite sure hiring staff are not impressed by t14 grads who clearly are trying to get into USAO as a second choice/defered biglaw. fed districts vary greatly in popularity and applicants. But, yes, your point is well taken...although it (and all of this discussion) probably only applies to honors hiring.
Variability of federal districts is credited.

And you are right in saying applicants applying USAO because one got laid off/ex-firm is definitely viewed in a different light. A demonstration about why USAO is what they wanted to do was necessary, of course. FWIW, the hires that were made were not these types, IIRC.

chicago520

New

Post by chicago520 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm

;;

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:25 pm

The answer is relatively simple. Find out whether attempting to transfer would compromise your LR standing. If yes, do not attempt it. If no, get to working on that NYU app (yesterday).

If unsure, stay put. Do not gamble away LR for uncertain chance at transferring, even if NYU/CLS are relatively transfer friendly.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm

chicago520 wrote:good point, although I was not referring to any of the districts you just cited as examples lol. there are lots of usao that are branches, which are primarily in the proverbial boonies. they are not staffed with ausa's from nyu/cls or hys. go look out west, midwest.

also: the usa comment was minimal to my main point. my main point was about AUSA's

edit: see above re: kids being shut out and USAO salivating over them...not sure if that is totally accurate...
1. lol why the hell did you go to Dozo if you aren't interested in working on the east coast?

2. ik you were talking about AUSAs. do you really think going to the USA's alma mater or a peer to his/her alma mater wouldn't give you a substantial boost?

3. i agree with you about certain offices in the midwest and west. if you want to work at one of them, you should go to a school in that region (many times a large, state school).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm

dresden doll wrote:The answer is relatively simple. Find out whether attempting to transfer would compromise your LR standing. If yes, do not attempt it. If no, get to working on that NYU app (yesterday).

If unsure, stay put. Do not gamble away LR for uncertain chance at transferring, even if NYU/CLS are relatively transfer friendly.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 pm

sanpiero wrote:
dresden doll wrote:The answer is relatively simple. Find out whether attempting to transfer would compromise your LR standing. If yes, do not attempt it. If no, get to working on that NYU app (yesterday).

You know, that's the first time anyone's deemed my post worthy of a 180 score. I thank you for that. :)

To contribute further on this topic, it has been said that CLS/NYU require a 10-15 percent class rank from a Fordham would-be transfer. While such a bar appears a bit too steep IMO, it does, assuming accuracy, argue against attempting to transfer unless you're certain you won't be compromising your LR standing by doing so.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”