UCLA + LR --> Berkeley? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
megaTTTron

Silver

Re: UCLA + LR --> Berkeley?

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:52 pm

MrKappus wrote:^ Saw your post history. Did better than you, at a better school. Your superiority complex just amuses me.
I AM SUPERIOR TO YOU!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:53 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
MrKappus wrote:^ Saw your post history. Did better than you, at a better school. Your superiority complex just amuses me.
I AM SUPERIOR TO YOU!
Lulz.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:57 pm

I'll do you one better:

--ImageRemoved--

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:59 pm

megaTTTron wrote:I'll do you one better:

--ImageRemoved--
I concede defeat, actually...that's hilarious.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 am

MrKappus wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:I'll do you one better:

--ImageRemoved--
I concede defeat, actually...that's hilarious.
respect.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 am

Attucks wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:as an 0L I hesitate to make definitive statements on such matters
Despite that being at my expense: lmao

27AppleTarts

New

Post by 27AppleTarts » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:32 am

UCLA's LR competition is purely write-on. A few spots are reserved for the top 1-5 or something like that, but I know I'm not one of those.

Honestly, I am leaning toward Berkeley. If it's a wash between UCLA LR and Berkeley No LR, at least I'll have a chance at Berkeley LR, and if I don't make it, I'll do a secondary journal and still have "invited to join UCLA LR" on my resume (Berkeley's CDO materials on transfer resumes indicated that this is acceptable). However, I'm interested in hearing others' opinions, as many people have told me it's better to stay where I am...

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:08 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

27AppleTarts

New

Post by 27AppleTarts » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Right, the "invited" thing would just be for OCI, not clerkships. And since clerking is the primary goal, you're all right, it would have no impact.

I'm going to ask some federal judges their opinions -- UCLA + LR vs. Berkeley + Secondary Journal (probably tech law journal). They do the hiring, after all. I'll let you all know if I get any useful information.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:32 pm

27AppleTarts wrote:UCLA's LR competition is purely write-on. A few spots are reserved for the top 1-5 or something like that, but I know I'm not one of those.

Honestly, I am leaning toward Berkeley. If it's a wash between UCLA LR and Berkeley No LR, at least I'll have a chance at Berkeley LR, and if I don't make it, I'll do a secondary journal and still have "invited to join UCLA LR" on my resume (Berkeley's CDO materials on transfer resumes indicated that this is acceptable). However, I'm interested in hearing others' opinions, as many people have told me it's better to stay where I am...
I don't know whether they enforce this, but when I was visiting UCLA over spring break (I'll be class 2013) and I asked about transferring if I made law review (I know, I know - very pretentious question; whatever), he said that the law review board decided a while ago to forbid those who either transfer out or drop out from mentioning invitation or participation to the UCLA law review. So, I doubt such a decision is enforceable if you slip that info during an interview, but just so you know...

Btw awesome job on your first year!

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:38 pm

I abjured from doing the W&L write-on so I wouldn't be faced with this quandary (not that, there, it would have been much of a quandary), but UCLA's quite a bit better than W&L. After all, you could become the editor, whereas how many non-law review people at Berkeley get a good clerkship anyway? I would stick around.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:49 pm

If you already know you want to clerk or think there is a good chance you will want to, transferring to Berkeley is a really terrible idea. Top 10% non law review at UCLA has a good shot at clerking. Top 10% plus law review puts you in contention for Ninth Circuit clerkships if you can get LORs from professors like Varat and Volokh during 2L. Also, you will basically have a good chance at getting a SA offer from ANY firm at UCLA's OCI. The only reason I think would make a transfer to Berkeley worth it is if you either wanted to work in the Bay Area or wanted to work back East or something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”