Hastings to East Coast chances? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WesttoEast

New

Hastings to East Coast chances?

Post by WesttoEast » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Hey all. I did decently at Hastings this year (>top 5%). It looks like Berkeley isn't happening. I feel like my grades are sufficient for a transfer up, but of course, dozens of folks from Hastings apply to Boalt each year, and they're not going to take a couple dozen hastings students simply because they were all in the top 5%.

To cut to the chase, is something like NYU or Columbia entirely out of the question considering a Hastings transfer app to either of those schools is probably quite rare?

I love SF and likely will want to work in this market, but if I had a real chance to go to a truly compelling school on the East Coast - I'd seriously consider the move. I'm also afraid at how regional my JD from Hastings will be (in the event I ever want to move elsewhere and practice). Looking at biglaw.

Any thoughtful input is appreciated. Much thanks

AOI87

New

Re: Hastings to East Coast chances?

Post by AOI87 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Why isn't Berkeley happening?

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:59 pm

AOI87 wrote:Why isn't Berkeley happening?
+1.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:25 pm

I would think CLS/NYU should def be in the cards for you. Getting back to SF is a different story. I would think top 5% at Hastings would have your pick of SF jobs whereas if you left, you would have to explain why you left your target market for an out-of-state school.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:40 pm

If I were in your shoes, I'd stay put.

WesttoEast

New

Post by WesttoEast » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:06 am

Thank you all for the responses so far

@AOI87:

Berkeley doesn't seem to be happening. Toward the end of this week, I'll have been "under review" for 3 weeks at Boalt which means I've missed at least two rounds of calls from Dean Tom and at least one email acceptance round (last friday). Really very disheartening, but it's reality. Of course, nothing is certain, but it seems to me that a ding is very likely in the cards for me. I'd really hate to leave SF - and that's why I was looking for input. Moving to the east coast would be quite difficult for me logistics-wise and for personal reasons. On the other hand, I really want to do a federal clerkship out of lawschool. I know that staying at hastings closes a lot of doors in that way (no chance at a 9th circuit clerkship here in the city at least if you're from hastings).

In any case, Hastings is a big school (461 students in my 1L class). That means that 23 people are in the top 5%, which leads to oversaturation of Hastings transfer apps at boalt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”