LOR limit?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ahshav
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:14 pm

LOR limit?

Postby ahshav » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:19 pm

I know most schools say they want 2-4 letters - but if they actually get four letters from one applicant, is that too many? Might that actually annoy the admissions counselor who reads it - or is it good, because that person has so many speaking on their behalf?

Thanks.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: LOR limit?

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:20 pm

ahshav wrote:I know most schools say they want 2-4 letters - but if they actually get four letters from one applicant, is that too many? Might that actually annoy the admissions counselor who reads it - or is it good, because that person has so many speaking on their behalf?

Thanks.


I sent 4 letters everywhere I could. I don't think it has an adverse effect as long as the letters each point to a different strength. If 3 letters all talk about you getting an A in Sociology because you can write a decent paper...those are redundant and (somewhat) unnecessary.

mardimar
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: LOR limit?

Postby mardimar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:21 pm

.
Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: LOR limit?

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:47 am

Sure - if four professors know you well enough to write on your unique skills and attributes. If the only basis of the recommendation is that you got an A in the prof's class, then I doubt it matters whether you submit 2, 3, or 4.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: LOR limit?

Postby concurrent fork » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:51 am

Kretzy wrote:
ahshav wrote:I know most schools say they want 2-4 letters - but if they actually get four letters from one applicant, is that too many? Might that actually annoy the admissions counselor who reads it - or is it good, because that person has so many speaking on their behalf?

Thanks.


I sent 4 letters everywhere I could. I don't think it has an adverse effect as long as the letters each point to a different strength. If 3 letters all talk about you getting an A in Sociology because you can write a decent paper...those are redundant and (somewhat) unnecessary.


Wait, you are trying to transfer from S? Or are you talking about 1L admissions?

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: LOR limit?

Postby chitown825 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:19 am

Psh I didn't recycle any 0L LORS. I only sent 2 from 2 law profs.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: LOR limit?

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:33 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
ahshav wrote:I know most schools say they want 2-4 letters - but if they actually get four letters from one applicant, is that too many? Might that actually annoy the admissions counselor who reads it - or is it good, because that person has so many speaking on their behalf?

Thanks.


I sent 4 letters everywhere I could. I don't think it has an adverse effect as long as the letters each point to a different strength. If 3 letters all talk about you getting an A in Sociology because you can write a decent paper...those are redundant and (somewhat) unnecessary.


Wait, you are trying to transfer from S? Or are you talking about 1L admissions?


Sorry, I totally didn't realize this was the transfer board! No, definitely not going to be transferring away from SLS.

My bad!

ahshav
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Re: LOR limit?

Postby ahshav » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Btw, I'm not recycling any LORs - one of the four just happens to have written a letter last year, too. (and yes, I'm sure he won't simply re-send the same letter).




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.