Worth trying to transfer out of SCU?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Trojanwarhero

Worth trying to transfer out of SCU?

Postby Trojanwarhero » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:22 pm

I'm going to be attending SCU this upcoming year and while I've heard good things about the school, I'd like to graduate from somewhere more prestigious in order to improve my job prospects. I'd love to transfer to Berkeley, but I doubt I'll be able to crack the top 5%. Lets say I get in the top 10-15% of my class. Is it worth it to transfer to Hastings or Davis? Or is it better to just stay at Santa Clara and graduate with a high ranking there?

solidsnake

Re: Worth trying to transfer out of SCU?

Postby solidsnake » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Trojanwarhero wrote:I'd like to graduate from somewhere more prestigious in order to improve my job prospects.

Then don't go to SCU. HTH

TLS mods: please consider making members designate class year during registration. Then restrict posting in all three of the "Students and Graduates" forums to 1Ls, 2Ls, 3Ls, and LS grads, all with X number of posts (to disincent alts). The 0L threads have been getting out of control.

Trojanwarhero

Postby Trojanwarhero » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Incredibly helpful.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:02 pm

solidsnake wrote:
Trojanwarhero wrote:I'd like to graduate from somewhere more prestigious in order to improve my job prospects.

Then don't go to SCU. HTH

TLS mods: please consider making members designate class year during registration. Then restrict posting in all three of the "Students and Graduates" forums to 1Ls, 2Ls, 3Ls, and LS grads, all with X number of posts (to disincent alts). The 0L threads have been getting out of control.

+1

I mean I know this kid is just looking for help but come on. Once you are top 10-15% in a year, then make this post. So ridiculous.

prosp23

Postby prosp23 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:14 pm

I think the responses to 0L questions in the transfer forum are largely overreactions. I know I hoped I'd be able to transfer as a 0L, but that doesn't mean I was banking it all on transferring. Clearly, neither is the OP, as he's okay with graduating from SCU, but would prefer better.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82937

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:24 pm

There's absolutely nothing wrong with hoping you do well enough during 1L to be able to transfer to another law school. I did the same when I was an 0L. What I, and others, didn't do, however, was make stupid threads that solicit speculation without offering an appropriate factual basis upon which to speculate.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:52 pm

solidsnake wrote:There's absolutely nothing wrong with hoping you do well enough during 1L to be able to transfer to another law school. I did the same when I was an 0L. What I, and others, didn't do, however, was make stupid threads that solicit speculation without offering an appropriate factual basis upon which to speculate.

EXACTLY.

I distinctly remember looking at transferapps the winter before my 1L, so about a year and a half ago. I knew of transferring, I knew what it would take, I knew I wanted to, I knew I could stand graduating from where I was going, I knew the odds were heavily stacked against me, etc. etc. etc.

Point is, I was thinking about it long before 1L. I didn't make a single post about it until the day after my first semester grades came out and I realized it was possible. Give it a break.

Trojanwarhero

Postby Trojanwarhero » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:02 pm

prosp23 wrote:I think the responses to 0L questions in the transfer forum are largely overreactions. I know I hoped I'd be able to transfer as a 0L, but that doesn't mean I was banking it all on transferring. Clearly, neither is the OP, as he's okay with graduating from SCU, but would prefer better.

Thank you. This explains a lot.

This should be stickied in this section so people don't have to post new threads and people can stop bitching in order to get their post count up or whatever else gets them off from being a jackass on an internet advice forum.

kings84_wr

Postby kings84_wr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:54 pm

Trojanwarhero wrote:
prosp23 wrote:I think the responses to 0L questions in the transfer forum are largely overreactions. I know I hoped I'd be able to transfer as a 0L, but that doesn't mean I was banking it all on transferring. Clearly, neither is the OP, as he's okay with graduating from SCU, but would prefer better.

Thank you. This explains a lot.

This should be stickied in this section so people don't have to post new threads and people can stop bitching in order to get their post count up or whatever else gets them off from being a jackass on an internet advice forum.

The negative responses are because bluntly there are a lot of people that assume they can finish top of their class and transfer out and it annoys people. (especially those that worked really hard to finish at the top of their class)

Sort of counter to a lot of people here I would say going in with the idea of transferring is ok, as long as you are completely content to graduate at that school you started with. I went in thinking I may transfer, and it gave me the motivation to do well, and it left me in a spot where I almost thought transferring was no longer worth it.

So basically without my rambling, use the transfer hopes as motivation and go to SCU as long you know you would be perfectly fine graduating from SCU.

Return to “Transfers”