Transfer to hold up for $ Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jallen926

New

Transfer to hold up for $

Post by jallen926 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:39 pm

I currently attend a law school ranked 50-70. My cumulative GPA should put me in top 5%. I was considering applying to transfer in order to receive a scholarship from my current school since I'm currently receiving no money at all. Is this advisable? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

RayFinkle

Bronze

Re: Transfer to hold up for $

Post by RayFinkle » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:45 pm

You need to find out your schools history of awarding money to those who might leave. It may not be worth the app fees. Outside of that, though, it's not a bad strategy.

AcesandEights

New

Post by AcesandEights » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Some schools absolutely do not do this--in effect, they don't give a crap that you got into a much better school for purposes of additional scholarship consideration. The above poster is correct--if your only goal is to get money, make sure they will care. Some people think intuitively that all schools will want to keep grads who are in line to transfer to a much better school, but this isn't always the case.

jallen926

New

Post by jallen926 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:53 pm

RayFinkle wrote:You need to find out your schools history of awarding money to those who might leave. It may not be worth the app fees. Outside of that, though, it's not a bad strategy.
Thanks. Any idea how I would figure this out?

cr073137

Bronze

Post by cr073137 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:57 pm

jallen926 wrote:I currently attend a law school ranked 50-70. My cumulative GPA should put me in top 5%. I was considering applying to transfer in order to receive a scholarship from my current school since I'm currently receiving no money at all. Is this advisable? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks
Apply to transfer. If you are not receiving any money, you might as well pay sticker at a better school. While this is different at each school, I'm pretty sure they will call you in and offer you money. But its not like they will say, oh, he is transferring out, we better offer him money. If they are going to give you money, they will do it anyways. If you really want to stay at your current school regardless, still apply, its better to say, hey, I got accepted into XYZ, but I rather stay if you offer me $$$, than having nothing up your sleeve. If you let the application cycle go, then there is no going back, better apply, spend the $$$, and then you will have more options at your disposal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:56 pm

Apply. Without a doubt. Despite your school's posted or historic policies, you never know what goes on in private conversations between the Dean and top students. You'll never know if you don't try.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:32 pm

megaTTTron wrote:Apply. Without a doubt. Despite your school's posted or historic policies, you never know what goes on in private conversations between the Dean and top students. You'll never know if you don't try.
This.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”