Boalt ranking justified?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eddietx12
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby eddietx12 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:41 am

acrossthelake wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:Obama is a perfect case study of someone who probably "entered" HLS the AA way, but exited HLS the badass magna way.

I'm not saying anything negative about people who have easy access, I'm saying the system is JACKED UP.

Clearly, Obama is a shining example of the lack of need for AA.


LOL. One example does not an entire group make. I don't support AA--but that's because of research I've seen that shows it doesn't actually help URMs, not because I'm against helping out a generally disadvantaged ethnic group.


Oh I was using the logical tactic used by the 'blasian' who kept notating one white dude who got in with similar stats to hers. I guess that technique is horrendously flawed isn't it?

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:42 am

Tautology wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:Obama is a perfect case study of someone who probably "entered" HLS the AA way, but exited HLS the badass magna way.

I'm not saying anything negative about people who have easy access, I'm saying the system is JACKED UP.

Clearly, Obama is a shining example of the lack of need for AA.


LOL. One example does not an entire group make. I don't support AA--but that's because of research I've seen that shows it doesn't actually help URMs, not because I'm against helping out a generally disadvantaged ethnic group.


Have you seen research other than the study relating to law schools?


Should've qualified that. I don't support it for professional schools, I'm in complete agreement with it for undergrad.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:42 am

I don't support AA for law school because I think it's designed to render minority students depressed and alcoholic by subjecting them to the existential malaise, moral decay, and aesthetic myopia of the legal profession.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:43 am

--ImageRemoved--

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Tautology » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:44 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Tautology wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:Obama is a perfect case study of someone who probably "entered" HLS the AA way, but exited HLS the badass magna way.

I'm not saying anything negative about people who have easy access, I'm saying the system is JACKED UP.

Clearly, Obama is a shining example of the lack of need for AA.


LOL. One example does not an entire group make. I don't support AA--but that's because of research I've seen that shows it doesn't actually help URMs, not because I'm against helping out a generally disadvantaged ethnic group.


Have you seen research other than the study relating to law schools?


Should've qualified that. I don't support it for professional schools, I'm in complete agreement with it for undergrad.


Fair enough.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:44 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Tautology wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:Obama is a perfect case study of someone who probably "entered" HLS the AA way, but exited HLS the badass magna way.

I'm not saying anything negative about people who have easy access, I'm saying the system is JACKED UP.

Clearly, Obama is a shining example of the lack of need for AA.


LOL. One example does not an entire group make. I don't support AA--but that's because of research I've seen that shows it doesn't actually help URMs, not because I'm against helping out a generally disadvantaged ethnic group.


Have you seen research other than the study relating to law schools?


Should've qualified that. I don't support it for professional schools, I'm in complete agreement with it for undergrad.

I'll bite. Is your research the Sanders study? If so, have you read the line of criticisms and discussions?

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:45 am

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eddietx12
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby eddietx12 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:45 am

The system screws AA benefactors pretty badly too. Ask Clarence Thomas about his fun-time getting a job post YLS.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby 20121109 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:46 am

eddietx12 wrote:Oh I was using the logical tactic used by the 'blasian' who kept notating one white dude who got in with similar stats to hers. I guess that technique is horrendously flawed isn't it?


Why do you keep calling me "the blasian"?

Most people on here call me...oh, I don't know, Gaia...?

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:47 am

eddietx12 wrote:The system screws AA benefactors pretty badly too. Ask Clarence Thomas about his fun-time getting a job post YLS.


That was 35 years ago. Ask black kids at Yale Law now if they have trouble getting a job.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:48 am

Kohinoor wrote:

I'll bite. Is your research the Sanders study? If so, have you read the line of criticisms and discussions?


It's the only one I can pull up, though there is stuff I've read that I no longer have the citation for. And no, I'd love to read it if you have the link. I'm just in general more concerned with narrowing the gap earlier in the K-12 education system and even undergrad, but feel that professional school is a bit late in the game. I don't really care too much personally and have no prob with the AA at my undergrad. I'd like to see them eliminate athletic recruits however...(for my school, cuz nobody cares about sports at my school.)

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Tautology » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:49 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:Oh I was using the logical tactic used by the 'blasian' who kept notating one white dude who got in with similar stats to hers. I guess that technique is horrendously flawed isn't it?


Why do you keep calling me "the blasian"?

Most people on here call me...oh, I don't know, Gaia...?


Because he's obsessed. Honestly, he seems almost pathological in his need to blame others for his own failings.

eddietx12
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby eddietx12 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:50 am

mallard wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:The system screws AA benefactors pretty badly too. Ask Clarence Thomas about his fun-time getting a job post YLS.


That was 35 years ago. Ask black kids at Yale Law now if they have trouble getting a job.


Ask partners at law firms what they think at first, when they see someone who's black show up for a job interview with an HLS degree. The answer will depress you.

Pablo Ramirez
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:50 am

eddietx12 and GAIAtheCHEERLEADER:

one needs to STFU, the other DIAF.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby 20121109 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:51 am

eddietx12 wrote:I hope I go one on one against you in litigation where justice is blind to your fucking lucky genetic access-pass to HLS.

I can't wait till merit dunks on your punk ass which has been hanging in circles in which you know you don't belong.

I know exactly how easy it is to keep taking bullshit standardized tests till you "get lucky". I also know how easy it is to game your stupid college with an inflated GPA, self "identify" yourself as a fucking "BLASIAN," whatever the f that is - and claim any kind of "status"

You don't DESERVE to be where you're at. Nor do the rest of the URMs at the low-end of the HLS stats. Go fuck yourself.


Silly Eddie. I can post PMs.

hth

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:51 am

Pablo Ramirez wrote:eddietx12 and GAIAtheCHEERLEADER:

one needs to STFU, the other DIAF.


What does DIAF stand for? Help the abbrev n00b out.

Tautology
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Tautology » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:52 am

eddietx12 wrote:
mallard wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:The system screws AA benefactors pretty badly too. Ask Clarence Thomas about his fun-time getting a job post YLS.


That was 35 years ago. Ask black kids at Yale Law now if they have trouble getting a job.


Ask partners at law firms what they think at first, when they see someone who's black show up for a job interview with an HLS degree. The answer will depress you.


Maybe, but we would be depressed by the racism of those law partners.

Edit for acrossthelake: DIAF stands for Die In A Fire. Not one of my favorite abbreviations, personally.
Last edited by Tautology on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:52 am

eddietx12 wrote:
mallard wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:The system screws AA benefactors pretty badly too. Ask Clarence Thomas about his fun-time getting a job post YLS.


That was 35 years ago. Ask black kids at Yale Law now if they have trouble getting a job.


Ask partners at law firms what they think at first, when they see someone who's black show up for a job interview with an HLS degree. The answer will depress you.


lol. I go to HLS, so I have a pretty good sense of how future law firm partners and future black HLS interviewers feel.

Also, Gaia, I'm not sure posting PMs is within forum rules - you should check that. Lulzy though.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:53 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:I hope I go one on one against you in litigation where justice is blind to your fucking lucky genetic access-pass to HLS.

I can't wait till merit dunks on your punk ass which has been hanging in circles in which you know you don't belong.

I know exactly how easy it is to keep taking bullshit standardized tests till you "get lucky". I also know how easy it is to game your stupid college with an inflated GPA, self "identify" yourself as a fucking "BLASIAN," whatever the f that is - and claim any kind of "status"

You don't DESERVE to be where you're at. Nor do the rest of the URMs at the low-end of the HLS stats. Go fuck yourself.


Silly Eddie. I can post PMs.

hth


wowzers

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:53 am

Also, I love TTTs who say "I can't wait to meet you in court."

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby 20121109 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:54 am

mallard wrote:Also, Gaia, I'm not sure posting PMs is within forum rules - you should check that. Lulzy though.


trust me, I've done it before. Only when someone sends me something hugely racist do I do it.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:54 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Pablo Ramirez wrote:eddietx12 and GAIAtheCHEERLEADER:

one needs to STFU, the other DIAF.


What does DIAF stand for? Help the abbrev n00b out.


Die in a [car?] fire.

User avatar
BlueCivic
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby BlueCivic » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:55 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
mallard wrote:Also, Gaia, I'm not sure posting PMs is within forum rules - you should check that. Lulzy though.


trust me, I've done it before. Only when someone sends me something hugely racist do I do it.


I approve.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby PDaddy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:55 am

And on that note...

U all WANT A PIECE OF ME NOW? 'Cuz it sounds like y'all miss PDaddy with a thread like this. :wink: I leave u alone for awhile and u can't even do it right...can't handle it. Your minds still aren't free. I have been working overtime on a very complicated civil rights case, but I can come back and give y'all some if you want me too. And u know I'm surgical with it.

Any black student going to any top school earned it, believe that! Quit being insecure, entitled, anti-AA babies. White skin is AA for white people; so you have had it for over 400 years.
Last edited by PDaddy on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:56 am

PDaddy wrote:U WANT A PIECE OF ME NOW? 'Cuz it sounds like y'all miss PDaddy with a thread like this. :wink: I leave u alone for awhile and u can't even do it right...can't handle it. Your minds still aren't free. I have been working overtime on a very complicated civil rights case, but I can come back and give y'all some if you want me too. And u know I'm surgical with it.

Any black student going to any top school earned it, believe that! Quit being insecure, entitled, anti-AA babies. White skin is AA for white people; so you have had it for over 400 years.


This I don't agree with, but let's not derail the thread further.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.