Boalt ranking justified?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby TheOcho » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:06 pm

eddietx12 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:USNWR matters for employment. I am very concerned with having to compete on the SAME ROULETTE table with one set of gamblers who are playing different odds, and making my odds worse.

This is like putting hard earned money (time) into a casino (the labor market), where the payoffs are skewed in favor of one group of people, AT THE EXPENSE of hard working suckers like me.

This is how I get punished? For what?! Why should she be permitted to smile and take her mug at "Harvard Law," where some of the greatest minds have passed? What has she done to belong there other than "be" of a certain category, what skill does that take?


A 172 LSAT and 3.91 GPA requires no hard work, huh?

My name is Gaia. I only got into Harvard because I'm black. My stats that are evidently higher than quite a few non-URMs on LSN mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I sleep at night? Oh yeah...with my HLS admit binder by my bedside.

I'm usually not this arrogant, but I can't help but be a scathing bitch when someone tries to devalue all the hard work I put in. I missed summer vacations to take classes and studied for the LSAT for over a year. GET THE FUCK OUT WITH THIS RACIST BULLSHIT.


Don't misrepresent your LSAT, for HLS you got a 168 (avg of your multiple attempts). This is like the Patriots asking for another Superbowl against the Giants to go for the perfect season, doesn't happen in real life, doesn't happen at HLS admissions. You did NOT get a 172 for HLS, you were a 168, lets "keep it real."

You got a 166, then you tried again, got another 166. Do you not realize that this is not how "aptitude tests" are designed to work? In some countries, kids can repeat classes until they get an A. Under that system, you would probably stay in school till you graduated with a 4.0

That's not a real "aptitude test," the LSAT when taken a bajillion times is no longer a test of 'aptitude' for legal reasoning, it is a test of "LSAT ABILITY," based on question-pattern-recognition for this particular examination. They "averaged" your LSAT, and they used a 168.



I'm with Eddie on this one. There is something terribly disturbing about someone who retakes the LSAT and receives a higher score. We should bastardize any fool who does this. The same goes for people who take practice tests. Some people might call this "preparation" or "hard work". I call it a scam. These people are stealing seats from those of us who took the test based on our God-given talents. There is no use for the skills and discipline required to prepare yourself for the LSAT. By allowing retakes and practices tests, we are fostering the lame idea that you can work hard and succeed at something you otherwise may have failed at. LSAC should stop selling old tests and companies like the Princeton Review and Kaplan should be refrain from "teaching" the LSAT. Seriously, anyone who took any practice tests or re-took the LSAT should be banned from attending law school. These people aren't smart. Law school should be filled with pure unadulterated intelligence. Screw preparation and hard work.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:14 pm

TheOcho wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:USNWR matters for employment. I am very concerned with having to compete on the SAME ROULETTE table with one set of gamblers who are playing different odds, and making my odds worse.

This is like putting hard earned money (time) into a casino (the labor market), where the payoffs are skewed in favor of one group of people, AT THE EXPENSE of hard working suckers like me.

This is how I get punished? For what?! Why should she be permitted to smile and take her mug at "Harvard Law," where some of the greatest minds have passed? What has she done to belong there other than "be" of a certain category, what skill does that take?


A 172 LSAT and 3.91 GPA requires no hard work, huh?

My name is Gaia. I only got into Harvard because I'm black. My stats that are evidently higher than quite a few non-URMs on LSN mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I sleep at night? Oh yeah...with my HLS admit binder by my bedside.

I'm usually not this arrogant, but I can't help but be a scathing bitch when someone tries to devalue all the hard work I put in. I missed summer vacations to take classes and studied for the LSAT for over a year. GET THE FUCK OUT WITH THIS RACIST BULLSHIT.


Don't misrepresent your LSAT, for HLS you got a 168 (avg of your multiple attempts). This is like the Patriots asking for another Superbowl against the Giants to go for the perfect season, doesn't happen in real life, doesn't happen at HLS admissions. You did NOT get a 172 for HLS, you were a 168, lets "keep it real."

You got a 166, then you tried again, got another 166. Do you not realize that this is not how "aptitude tests" are designed to work? In some countries, kids can repeat classes until they get an A. Under that system, you would probably stay in school till you graduated with a 4.0

That's not a real "aptitude test," the LSAT when taken a bajillion times is no longer a test of 'aptitude' for legal reasoning, it is a test of "LSAT ABILITY," based on question-pattern-recognition for this particular examination. They "averaged" your LSAT, and they used a 168.



I'm with Eddie on this one. There is something terribly disturbing about someone who retakes the LSAT and receives a higher score. We should bastardize any fool who does this. The same goes for people who take practice tests. Some people might call this "preparation" or "hard work". I call it a scam. These people are stealing seats from those of us who took the test based on our God-given talents. There is no use for the skills and discipline required to prepare yourself for the LSAT. By allowing retakes and practices tests, we are fostering the lame idea that you can work hard and succeed at something you otherwise may have failed at. LSAC should stop selling old tests and companies like the Princeton Review and Kaplan should be refrain from "teaching" the LSAT. Seriously, anyone who took any practice tests or re-took the LSAT should be banned from attending law school. These people aren't smart. Law school should be filled with pure unadulterated intelligence. Screw preparation and hard work.


I'm going to assume sarcasm, but in case it wasn't I would suggest the test can measure a number of things, including ability to prepare and desire to perform at a high level.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby TheOcho » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Apparently I wasn't blatantly sarcastic enough. :(

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Sammi wrote: :roll: mk


Hahaha awww...don't be mad. I just meant to say if your post is going to be akin to some high school debate team point gone wrong, because it involves pies, foot races, and impossibly mixed metaphors (e.g., how would being "smarter" help one win a race?), then it's probably best to just hit "Cancel" when you're done typing.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby 20121109 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:17 pm

TheOcho wrote:Apparently I wasn't blatantly sarcastic enough. :(


I laughed at your sarcasm. :)

<3

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:22 pm

A'nold wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
A'nold wrote:See, the real tragedy for me, a white male, is that my #'s were so crappy that I couldn't complain about not getting into a t14 because some black guy "took my seat." It'd look kind of retarded to complain about AA being responsible for me not getting into the University of Arizona. :wink:


The preferred nomenclature would be African American Male.

Oh, and this whole thread is stupid.


I used "black guy" for effect. Please don't PC me like this man. :)


Sorry, I really wasn't trying. I was sort of trying to channel Lebowski, because OP reminded me of the prick old dude. Honestly, at least among the people I know, I think "black guy" is the preferred nomenclature. African American sounds academic and like you're trying not to be racist. As we all know, anything you have to try not to be, you are.

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Rock Chalk » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
A'nold wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:The preferred nomenclature would be African American Male.
Oh, and this whole thread is stupid.

I used "black guy" for effect. Please don't PC me like this man. :)

We prefer black guy actually.

+ 1,000.
TheOcho wrote:Apparently I wasn't blatantly sarcastic enough. :(

You were. I lol'd.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:22 pm

This was the most interesting thread I've read in a while.

also: I want to be that the TTTroll did better than everyone at UT on his LSAT (read: how many 166s did UT admit this year) and then got median grades, will strike out at OCI, and is pissed that Boalt didn't admit him despite his score on a MEANINGLESS standardized test that really isn't indicative of your aptitude of anything, much less of doing well in law school.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:24 pm

TheOcho wrote:Apparently I wasn't blatantly sarcastic enough. :(


I think you were. I was replying as much to the OP's assertion. To be fair, you never know on here.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby doyleoil » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:25 pm

mistergoft wrote:MEANINGLESS standardized test


i'm breaking my own rule here, but i'll be damned if someone is going to sit here and tell me that the countless hours i poured into learning which airplane seat the green dinosaur is allowed to sit in were meaningless

FUCK THAT!!!

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:37 pm

doyleoil wrote:
mistergoft wrote:MEANINGLESS standardized test


i'm breaking my own rule here, but i'll be damned if someone is going to sit here and tell me that the countless hours i poured into learning which airplane seat the green dinosaur is allowed to sit in were meaningless

FUCK THAT!!!

Lol I'm only mad that the relatively few hours I poured into studying for the LSAT while working 80 hours a week didn't pay off. :oops:

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:42 pm

TheOcho wrote:Apparently I wasn't blatantly sarcastic enough. :(

I think the mistake you made was starting with "I'm with Eddie on this one". I assume most just stopped reading at that point.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:49 pm

doyleoil wrote:aa debates really bring out the worst in people on all sides, in all respects

my suggestion? avoid like the plague

that way, you don't expose your bitterness and/or lack of intelligence

and the rest of us can get on with debating things like what parents should tell their children about nonconsensual sex between monkeys and frogs

disagree. aa debates bring out the best in me.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby doyleoil » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:50 pm

mistergoft wrote:
doyleoil wrote:
mistergoft wrote:MEANINGLESS standardized test


i'm breaking my own rule here, but i'll be damned if someone is going to sit here and tell me that the countless hours i poured into learning which airplane seat the green dinosaur is allowed to sit in were meaningless

FUCK THAT!!!

Lol I'm only mad that the relatively few hours I poured into studying for the LSAT while working 80 hours a week didn't pay off. :oops:


well let's just agree that we're all mad, and that it's a good thing, because said anger is what carries all successful lawyers through the lifetime pursuit of dominating and crushing the opposition

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby TheOcho » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheOcho wrote:Apparently I wasn't blatantly sarcastic enough. :(

I think the mistake you made was starting with "I'm with Eddie on this one". I assume most just stopped reading at that point.


Damn. I figured most people would see that and think "Hmmm, let's see if his logic is equally shitty".

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:52 pm

doyleoil wrote:well let's just agree that we're all mad, and that it's a good thing, because said anger is what carries all successful lawyers through the lifetime pursuit of dominating and crushing the opposition

QF genuis.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
doyleoil wrote:aa debates really bring out the worst in people on all sides, in all respects

my suggestion? avoid like the plague

that way, you don't expose your bitterness and/or lack of intelligence

and the rest of us can get on with debating things like what parents should tell their children about nonconsensual sex between monkeys and frogs

disagree. aa debates bring out the best in me.

What does the monkey bring out in you?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
doyleoil wrote:aa debates really bring out the worst in people on all sides, in all respects

my suggestion? avoid like the plague

that way, you don't expose your bitterness and/or lack of intelligence

and the rest of us can get on with debating things like what parents should tell their children about nonconsensual sex between monkeys and frogs

disagree. aa debates bring out the best in me.

What does the monkey bring out in you?

terror

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:14 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:disagree. aa debates bring out the best in me.

What does the monkey bring out in you?

terror

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
JordynAsh
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby JordynAsh » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Wow. Just read the entire thread and am disturbed that OP is at Texas, as I will be in the fall. Also, congrats Gaia!

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:35 pm

JordynAsh wrote:Wow. Just read the entire thread and am disturbed that OP is at Texas, as I will be in the fall. Also, congrats Gaia!

Don't forget Snooker. If he is still alive.

ze2151
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby ze2151 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 pm

I'd like to congratulate Gaia also. Nice work!

And Eddie, thank you for validating my decision not to apply to any school in TX. You are a Neanderthal.

If you're so upset about AA, channel that anger into a successful test. That way you're a winner. This way, you're just a whiny baby.

And Berkeley is awesome. Not that it needs a peon like me to defend it, but it's the premier public institution in the nation's largest state. Yep, a real toilet school.

User avatar
Merr
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby Merr » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:53 pm

TheOcho wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
eddietx12 wrote:USNWR matters for employment. I am very concerned with having to compete on the SAME ROULETTE table with one set of gamblers who are playing different odds, and making my odds worse.

This is like putting hard earned money (time) into a casino (the labor market), where the payoffs are skewed in favor of one group of people, AT THE EXPENSE of hard working suckers like me.

This is how I get punished? For what?! Why should she be permitted to smile and take her mug at "Harvard Law," where some of the greatest minds have passed? What has she done to belong there other than "be" of a certain category, what skill does that take?


A 172 LSAT and 3.91 GPA requires no hard work, huh?

My name is Gaia. I only got into Harvard because I'm black. My stats that are evidently higher than quite a few non-URMs on LSN mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I sleep at night? Oh yeah...with my HLS admit binder by my bedside.

I'm usually not this arrogant, but I can't help but be a scathing bitch when someone tries to devalue all the hard work I put in. I missed summer vacations to take classes and studied for the LSAT for over a year. GET THE FUCK OUT WITH THIS RACIST BULLSHIT.


Don't misrepresent your LSAT, for HLS you got a 168 (avg of your multiple attempts). This is like the Patriots asking for another Superbowl against the Giants to go for the perfect season, doesn't happen in real life, doesn't happen at HLS admissions. You did NOT get a 172 for HLS, you were a 168, lets "keep it real."

You got a 166, then you tried again, got another 166. Do you not realize that this is not how "aptitude tests" are designed to work? In some countries, kids can repeat classes until they get an A. Under that system, you would probably stay in school till you graduated with a 4.0

That's not a real "aptitude test," the LSAT when taken a bajillion times is no longer a test of 'aptitude' for legal reasoning, it is a test of "LSAT ABILITY," based on question-pattern-recognition for this particular examination. They "averaged" your LSAT, and they used a 168.



I'm with Eddie on this one. There is something terribly disturbing about someone who retakes the LSAT and receives a higher score. We should bastardize any fool who does this. The same goes for people who take practice tests. Some people might call this "preparation" or "hard work". I call it a scam. These people are stealing seats from those of us who took the test based on our God-given talents. There is no use for the skills and discipline required to prepare yourself for the LSAT. By allowing retakes and practices tests, we are fostering the lame idea that you can work hard and succeed at something you otherwise may have failed at. LSAC should stop selling old tests and companies like the Princeton Review and Kaplan should be refrain from "teaching" the LSAT. Seriously, anyone who took any practice tests or re-took the LSAT should be banned from attending law school. These people aren't smart. Law school should be filled with pure unadulterated intelligence. Screw preparation and hard work.



I wish I had known this sooner...It would have saved me the money I spend buying my friends 40s in exchange for proctoring PTs.

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby dbt » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:57 pm

So wait...the question is whether Boalt's ranking is justified?

No. It is not.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Boalt ranking justified?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Boalt is a Cornell peer school.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.