Parttime T4 Transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
prosp23

New

Parttime T4 Transfer?

Post by prosp23 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:26 pm

I'm ranked #1 at a T4 school with a 3.5. I'm in the part-time program. I am weighing whether to transfer this cycle or wait until next year. I would love to transfer to a T1, specifically UCLA or USC, but cannot apply until next year because I have not finished all 1L classes. I am able to apply to top T2 schools this cycle. I know I would be taking the risk of my rank dropping if I wait until next year, so if my chances of getting into UCLA are extremely slim from a T4, I would prefer to transfer to a T2, assuming they accept me. If anybody has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

CMR

Bronze

Re: Parttime T4 Transfer?

Post by CMR » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:57 pm

prosp23 wrote:I'm ranked #1 at a T4 school with a 3.5. I'm in the part-time program. I am weighing whether to transfer this cycle or wait until next year. I would love to transfer to a T1, specifically UCLA or USC, but cannot apply until next year because I have not finished all 1L classes. I am able to apply to top T2 schools this cycle. I know I would be taking the risk of my rank dropping if I wait until next year, so if my chances of getting into UCLA are extremely slim from a T4, I would prefer to transfer to a T2, assuming they accept me. If anybody has any advice, I'd appreciate it.
Haha, you're my nemesis. Everyone ahead of me in the rankings at my school is part time.

prosp23

New

Post by prosp23 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:09 pm

Haha, the guy at #2 rank is also part-time and right on my ass, so I share your hatred of us.

CMR

Bronze

Post by CMR » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:19 pm

prosp23 wrote:Haha, the guy at #2 rank is also part-time and right on my ass, so I share your hatred of us.
You should complain about it in your personal statement without any indication of irony.

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Are these part-timers who are doing so well also employed full-time? Or are they studying full-time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prosp23

New

Post by prosp23 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:38 pm

The #2 for my class is not employed, but has a family, so I guess that's like a full-time job? I'm employed full-time, but with a very flexible schedule. I believe #3 is employed full-time without the flexibility. Can't speak for the rest.

Riles246

New

Post by Riles246 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:46 am

I'm in the same boat- just finished 1LE year. Got a 3.75 at a T2 school that curves to a 3.0. I asked Fordham if 1 calendar year was sufficient for a transfer, rather than completing the 1L course work. They replied that their schedule is the same as mine and that I could apply with only 1 calendar year completed. I applied to Fordham, GWU, and GULC.

I say go for it. If you don't get in, you'll know it had nothing to do with your performance and then just apply next semester if the school you are interested in accepts winter session transfers, or apply next year. What's the harm? Aside from the application fees, you really don't run any risk here. I applied knowing that there is a good chance that I won't get in, but it won't be a blow to my ego; just a reason to work even harder next year to keep the grades up and try again.

While I'm not #1, I still did very well, and I have a very demanding job. Many of the students I go with, however, have flexible jobs or gov't jobs. It's very difficult to compete against the handful of part timers who do not have day jobs- they look like geniuses in class discussions!

mardimar

New

Post by mardimar » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

prosp23

New

Post by prosp23 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks, all. I'm leaning (strongly) toward waiting until next year. My problem is more that my school is T4 than that I'm part-time, but there are plenty of references around here for that problem. I think my T4 would afford me personally about the same opportunities as a T2, so I'm going to hold out and hope for next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”